The Student Room Group

Speaking exam preparation

Hello!

I've got my German oral exam coming up this week and although I'm fairly confident in my German, I can't help but be excessively nervous about it. I find that I'm a lot smoother and more coherent when rehearsing alone or thinking. I'm sure many can relate to stressing out about oral exams as being put on the spot really makes it hard if you aren't fluent.
Does anyone have any tips or advice on ways to stay calm and confident throughout the exam?

Good luck to anyone else doing oral exams in any language!
Reply 1
Something that helped me was accepting that pausing while talking is okay, since I become very prone to using filler words like "Uhhhh" (which results in me losing marks). Pausing (briefly, for a few seconds) helps me sort out grammar and lets my brain catch up. Also reminds me to breathe because I also become prone to talking for way too long without stopping to take a breath :redface: Good luck on your oral exam!
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by sylveon777
Something that helped me was accepting that pausing while talking is okay, since I become very prone to using filler words like "Uhhhh" (which results in me losing marks). Pausing (briefly, for a few seconds) helps me sort out grammar and lets my brain catch up. Also reminds me to breathe because I also become prone to talking for way too long without stopping to take a breath :redface: Good luck on your oral exam!

Thank you so much! I'll try to keep that in mind and practice slowly without filler words. This helps a lot! :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending