The Student Room Group

Can I become fluent in French within two years as a full time student?

I’m staring Uni for interior design in September after A-levels, but hoping to do my 3rd year abroad to study/work experience in France (maybe Paris?). I did GCSE French but have very limited knowledge now and don’t want to depend on purely my English while staying there. How feasible is it to become fluent or close to it in two years, taking account I’m a full time student? Any advice or personal experience would be great :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by klaudia.r
I’m staring Uni for interior design in September after A-levels, but hoping to do my 3rd year abroad to study/work experience in France (maybe Paris?). I did GCSE French but have very limited knowledge now and don’t want to depend on purely my English while staying there. How feasible is it to become fluent or close to it in two years, taking account I’m a full time student? Any advice or personal experience would be great :smile:

Hello. As someone who taught myself german to a reasonable proficiency in 1.5/2 years i think it is very much possible. The main issue with learning languages is consistency, but i am sure if you have a year abroad to look forward to this shouldn't be too hard. I taught myself during lockdown when i was in year 10 and continued afterwards, so to be fair i did have quite a bit of free time. I think if you develop good language learning methods, and find some way to get in some comprehensible input in the language and keep consistent it should be possible. i would also recommend a tutor.

(this is a great video about how to go about learning a language btw: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_EQDtpYSNM)

Best of luck! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by kebab06
Hello. As someone who taught myself german to a reasonable proficiency in 1.5/2 years i think it is very much possible. The main issue with learning languages is consistency, but i am sure if you have a year abroad to look forward to this shouldn't be too hard. I taught myself during lockdown when i was in year 10 and continued afterwards, so to be fair i did have quite a bit of free time. I think if you develop good language learning methods, and find some way to get in some comprehensible input in the language and keep consistent it should be possible. i would also recommend a tutor.

(this is a great video about how to go about learning a language btw: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_EQDtpYSNM)

Best of luck! :smile:

Lovely, that’s great to hear. I’m bilingual since childhood so it might be easier with links to French from two other languages as well? Thanks for your help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending