The Student Room Group
The word you're looking for is "La Laïcité", it means "secularism", or something like that, and I think you have "La loi de la laïcité", which is the law to do with not being allowed to wear the veil.
Reply 2
L'affaire du foulard is specifically the thing about not being allowed to wear headscarves. It's a result of laïcité in France:

La « Loi encadrant, en application du principe de laïcité, le port de signes ou de tenues manifestant une appartenance religieuse dans les écoles, collèges et lycées publics » dit que dans des écoles primaires publiques, des lycées juniors et des lycées, les étudiants sont interdits de porter des symboles ou le vêtement par lequel ils exposent sensiblement une affiliation religieuse.
Reply 3
Kiesha
L'affaire du foulard is specifically the thing about not being allowed to wear headscarves. It's a result of laïcité in France:

Refer to le port du foulard in essays - this is how the question of the wearing of the headscarf is referred to in France.

Aitch
Reply 4
Doesn't l'affaire du foulard refer to a specific incident a few years ago, about a school insisting that headscarves were not to be worn, and a couple of girls disobeying? La loi de laïcité is the fairly recent one saying that no religious symbols, including Jewish skullcaps, Muslim headscarves, and large crosses, could be worn "ostensiblement" (kind of, obviously? openly? I can never think of a decent translation) in French state schools, but it's been taken as mainly against Muslims - I haven't heard of any cases involving other religions.

Latest

Trending

Trending