The Student Room Group

Revision tips on science, music, french and religious studies please.

I am in year 10, and I just finished my end of year exams. And I know I did not do well for all three sciences, music, french and religious studies, is there any methods I can learn and improve on these subjects?
(edited 8 months ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi I am in year 9, but I think I still have some helpful techniques.

For Science I recommend making revision cards and then quizzing yourself (If you are not a flashcard fan you can look through your notes instead). While doing this note down any concepts you are weak in. Then you can use BBC bitesize or youtube channels such as Cognito to recap them. After this see if you could write down key parts of the concepts from memory, this is blurting. With science it is ideal to narrow down what you actual need to revise because there is a lot of content.

I don’t do French as a language, I do German but I can still give you some helpful tips for languages in general. Firstly I use Duolingo, which is really useful, as it allows you to revise different types of language exam questions. They have speaking, listening, translation and mach ups. It is hard to revise listening and speaking questions at home so it is a useful tool. When revising for translation I look through my vocab and find worse case scenario words that could be in exams. Then I do some look cover write check to memorise the vocab. After that I write myself some sentences to translate with hard structures and vocab to see if i have improved.

I do not really have many techniques for the others but I hope this helps. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by infires-
I am in year 10, and I just finished my end of year exams. And I know I did not do well for all three sciences, music, french and religious studies, is there any methods I can learn and improve on these subjects?

i can only speak for music, id say listen to the set works as often as possible and try to play your instrument as often as possible. Get copies of the sheet music for your set works and really try to analyze each bar and what technique is used where. Maybe make flashcards on relevant points? Also look at exemplar answers for the essay q.
Reply 3
Original post by Moonlight:)
Hi I am in year 9, but I think I still have some helpful techniques.

For Science I recommend making revision cards and then quizzing yourself (If you are not a flashcard fan you can look through your notes instead). While doing this note down any concepts you are weak in. Then you can use BBC bitesize or youtube channels such as Cognito to recap them. After this see if you could write down key parts of the concepts from memory, this is blurting. With science it is ideal to narrow down what you actual need to revise because there is a lot of content.

I don’t do French as a language, I do German but I can still give you some helpful tips for languages in general. Firstly I use Duolingo, which is really useful, as it allows you to revise different types of language exam questions. They have speaking, listening, translation and mach ups. It is hard to revise listening and speaking questions at home so it is a useful tool. When revising for translation I look through my vocab and find worse case scenario words that could be in exams. Then I do some look cover write check to memorise the vocab. After that I write myself some sentences to translate with hard structures and vocab to see if i have improved.

I do not really have many techniques for the others but I hope this helps. :smile:

I thought I replied but looks like I didnt, thank you so much for the advice, with ur advice I made some flashcard for sciences and I really found it helpful looking over them. And duolingo was also really useful, I learnt many new vocab I didnt know. Thank you so much!
Reply 4
Original post by mskr710
i can only speak for music, id say listen to the set works as often as possible and try to play your instrument as often as possible. Get copies of the sheet music for your set works and really try to analyze each bar and what technique is used where. Maybe make flashcards on relevant points? Also look at exemplar answers for the essay q.

Thank you so much for the advice. I am about to start my reivison for music because I did other subjects and stuff for the last few week and this is really useful. Once again thank you so much.

what really helped me was making flashcards and finding flashcards on quizlet. literally became my best friend during the gcses. as for French, I did a lot of past papers and revised my vocabs. for science, I would watch videos more than once if I needed to (cognito and freesciencelessons) and utilise educational websites (physicsandmathstutor and savemyexams, etc) the subscription for savemyexams might be a bit pricey but it is so worth it especially when you go on to do your 6th form and savemyexams provides resources for other exam boards and not just gcse. But don't forget to get some sleep and give yourself breaks because personally overexerting myself would have been the same as not studying at all.
I thought I replied but looks like I didnt, thank you so much for the advice, with ur advice I made some flashcard for sciences and I really found it helpful looking over them. And duolingo was also really useful, I learnt many new vocab I didnt know. Thank you so much!

Happy to help :smile:, if you need any more study advice let me know
(edited 9 months ago)
for science: flashcards and past papers are your best friend!! go through the specification and highlight bits you don’t know or are unsure about to focus your revision.
for french: learn the grammar and tenses really well. speaking can be the scariest bit for a lot of people so try to talk in french as much as possible, whether just pointing out random vocab you know or talking to yourself.
for music: make mindmaps of your set works for different sections (structure, tonality, etc) and commit them to memory. try lots of past papers for the listening part and make sure you understand the terms.
for rs: i only did history, not rs, but i found flashcards the best way to force myself to remember the large amounts of content.
Reply 8
Original post by XxFabGachaxX
what really helped me was making flashcards and finding flashcards on quizlet. literally became my best friend during the gcses. as for French, I did a lot of past papers and revised my vocabs. for science, I would watch videos more than once if I needed to (cognito and freesciencelessons) and utilise educational websites (physicsandmathstutor and savemyexams, etc) the subscription for savemyexams might be a bit pricey but it is so worth it especially when you go on to do your 6th form and savemyexams provides resources for other exam boards and not just gcse. But don't forget to get some sleep and give yourself breaks because personally overexerting myself would have been the same as not studying at all.

Thank you very much for your advice, it is really helpful, and I will defienetly make sure to give myself breaks, once again thank you!
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 9
Original post by hannahclayton01
for science: flashcards and past papers are your best friend!! go through the specification and highlight bits you don’t know or are unsure about to focus your revision.
for french: learn the grammar and tenses really well. speaking can be the scariest bit for a lot of people so try to talk in french as much as possible, whether just pointing out random vocab you know or talking to yourself.
for music: make mindmaps of your set works for different sections (structure, tonality, etc) and commit them to memory. try lots of past papers for the listening part and make sure you understand the terms.
for rs: i only did history, not rs, but i found flashcards the best way to force myself to remember the large amounts of content.

thank you very much for the advice, I really needed some tips on rs and the other tips are also really helpful, once again thank you!
Thank you very much for your advice, it is really helpful, and I will defienetly make sure to give myself breaks, once again thank you!

May I ask– what exam board are you doing for science?
Reply 11
May I ask– what exam board are you doing for science?

I'm doing IGCSE edexcel for science.
(edited 8 months ago)
i would say flash cards and past papers are the way to go. also check few practice papers, but make sure they are from good sites like tyrion papers. just practice as much as possible. u will get better slowly!
Reply 13
(Copy and pasting a previous post that I made about two years ago! - I've just finished Year 11, but I'm taking A Level French so don't be afraid to drop a message if you need any help!)

Hi, I'm an intermediate (CEFR Grade B1) French speaker. My Dad has been teaching me the language ever since I was young, but here are some tips that helped me progress and prepare/revise for the GCSE course:

The Official AQA Website has all the grammar, vocabulary and info that will come up in your course available. Try to memorise some of the general vocabulary, as well as learn some of the foundation grammar and vocabulary. (Don't worry about the higher grammar, try to focus on the foundation stuff, because a) it forms the base for your course and b)because you are doing higher, your paper will have both foundation and higher content on it. Your teacher will probably teach you the higher content in school at a later date, so just try to consolidate basic knowledge first.

Link: https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/lang...ubject-content

Helpful Youtube Channels:

Wordpie is a Youtube Channel who make songs that teach you helpful vocabulary, including nouns, verbs and adjectives. Many of the words you learn are part of the general vocabulary for AQA French, so check it out! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcp...aX77pBuRZWzKiA

Learn French With Alexa has specialized videos for different aspects of the GCSE exam board and helps with grammar and vocabulary. Check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/c/learnfrenchwithalexa/featured

FrenchPod101.com have short videos that can help you learn about the culture in French and Francophone countries, as well as grammar and vocab. They even have a podcast of Google Podcasts so you can download and listen on the go! Link: https://www.youtube.com/c/frenchpod101

General advice:

Google Podcasts has language podcasts you can listen to if you want to practice your listening.
Install a French-English Dictionary on your phone, so you know what words are what.
Start a language diary (can be in a notebook or on your phone, using the 'Notes' app.) Write a little bit about your day in French to help you practice. Try and make this regular.
Read French Newspapers online (Le Monde and Figaro are good places to start.)
Read French books (Your local library should have books in another language, or looks for Children's 'Dual Language Books', which have the story in French and English so you can follow along if you want and learn new words.)
Flashcards!!!!!!!! ENG. word on one side, FR. on the other. (Quizlet has several online flashcards.)
Listen to French music! Some of my favourites:

Angele - Balance ton Quoi
Jill Barber - J'attendrai
Stromae - Carmen/Alors on Dance/Papaoutai
Edif Piath - La vie en Rose
Camille - Le Festin
Aya Nakamura - Djadja
Luisa Sobral - Je t'adore
Indila - Derniere Danse

Here are some playlists/songs that might help too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1l8sMIVFSoM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PukutKkEpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbRGcYP8iBM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l88YDeBPF00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAakr8lZJvA

TL/DR: Just try to be consistent in learning, and surround yourself with the language. It really helps!
Hope you found this useful!

Bonne chance pour tes etudes et l'avenir! :h:

Here are my tips:

Science:
- Use freesciencelessons and cognito yt channels to help you understand the content
- Make super concise notes (maximum an A4 page) for each topic (or just for topics that you don't understand well), this is a resource for you to refer back to when you're confused - use freesciencelessons and your exam board specification to help you do this
- Finally, practice! Use physics and maths tutor (pmt) and mme revise for free practice questions with mark scheme
- Make sure to revise practicals and know your equations, as these are common questions that pop up in an exam

Languages: (Unfortunately, I don't do french for gcse, but here are some general tips)
- Extend your learning outside of school by doing a language course, you can use duolingo or Rosetta stone (basically anything), because not only does this help consolidate your learning it also helps you learn more vocab and grammar which are essential for learning a language!
- Expand your learning to help fluency in your understanding by listening to podcasts or french music/ french versions of your favourite songs (if you're a music person), read french books or french versions of your favourite books (if you love reading) or watch french tv/movies or french versions of your favourite tv shows + movies (if you love entertainment)
- Use quizlet and make flashcards on topics that you are weak in, reviewing them once every week or two weeks really helped me for my gcse language

Religious studies:
- Use your specification!!! I do edexcel, but it's basically a checklist telling you the info you need to know and which specific quotes you need to refer to
- Make concise notes/flashcards for each topic, this helps you to learn the content and it's something you can use to review content before an exam
- Use past papers, mark schemes and examiner reports to help you understand the types of questions you will be asked, you can even use them to help you make flashcards/notes for your topics. It's also a great way to test your understanding on the topics
- Find a good revision guide if needed, cgp is good, as well as the pearson edexcel one (if you do edexcel) - but the main point is to find a resource that doesn't just give you the content for the sake of filling up pages, but to find a resource that gives you summarised and only the necessary notes that will actually give you understanding and help for your exams
- BBC bitesize, revision world and save my exams are great websites too

I hope that helps and good luck!
I'm doing IGCSE edexcel for science.

Ooh okay. I'm not sure if its the same for igcse edexcel but I did gcse aqa and maybe you might have noticed but in their mark schemes to some questions, they always have like a pattern or format they follow when answering. For my exam board at least... you could talk everything in your answer (not literally but like-) but if you didn't mention a sentence or word or phrase, that's a few marks lost even though you were on the right track/ technically right with what you said. So try to find any patterns in the sample responses in the mark schemes, because it will definitely help in securing some marks. This is like a small exam technique. I don't know if what I said makes sense, but if it doesn't let me know :smile:. This strategy helped me a lot
Reply 16
Original post by sara sen 05
i would say flash cards and past papers are the way to go. also check few practice papers, but make sure they are from good sites like tyrion papers. just practice as much as possible. u will get better slowly!

Thank you very much for the advice!
Reply 17
Original post by e_2000
(Copy and pasting a previous post that I made about two years ago! - I've just finished Year 11, but I'm taking A Level French so don't be afraid to drop a message if you need any help!)

Hi, I'm an intermediate (CEFR Grade B1) French speaker. My Dad has been teaching me the language ever since I was young, but here are some tips that helped me progress and prepare/revise for the GCSE course:

The Official AQA Website has all the grammar, vocabulary and info that will come up in your course available. Try to memorise some of the general vocabulary, as well as learn some of the foundation grammar and vocabulary. (Don't worry about the higher grammar, try to focus on the foundation stuff, because a) it forms the base for your course and b)because you are doing higher, your paper will have both foundation and higher content on it. Your teacher will probably teach you the higher content in school at a later date, so just try to consolidate basic knowledge first.

Link: https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/lang...ubject-content

Helpful Youtube Channels:

Wordpie is a Youtube Channel who make songs that teach you helpful vocabulary, including nouns, verbs and adjectives. Many of the words you learn are part of the general vocabulary for AQA French, so check it out! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcp...aX77pBuRZWzKiA

Learn French With Alexa has specialized videos for different aspects of the GCSE exam board and helps with grammar and vocabulary. Check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/c/learnfrenchwithalexa/featured

FrenchPod101.com have short videos that can help you learn about the culture in French and Francophone countries, as well as grammar and vocab. They even have a podcast of Google Podcasts so you can download and listen on the go! Link: https://www.youtube.com/c/frenchpod101

General advice:

Google Podcasts has language podcasts you can listen to if you want to practice your listening.
Install a French-English Dictionary on your phone, so you know what words are what.
Start a language diary (can be in a notebook or on your phone, using the 'Notes' app.) Write a little bit about your day in French to help you practice. Try and make this regular.
Read French Newspapers online (Le Monde and Figaro are good places to start.)
Read French books (Your local library should have books in another language, or looks for Children's 'Dual Language Books', which have the story in French and English so you can follow along if you want and learn new words.)
Flashcards!!!!!!!! ENG. word on one side, FR. on the other. (Quizlet has several online flashcards.)
Listen to French music! Some of my favourites:

Angele - Balance ton Quoi
Jill Barber - J'attendrai
Stromae - Carmen/Alors on Dance/Papaoutai
Edif Piath - La vie en Rose
Camille - Le Festin
Aya Nakamura - Djadja
Luisa Sobral - Je t'adore
Indila - Derniere Danse

Here are some playlists/songs that might help too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1l8sMIVFSoM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PukutKkEpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbRGcYP8iBM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l88YDeBPF00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAakr8lZJvA

TL/DR: Just try to be consistent in learning, and surround yourself with the language. It really helps!
Hope you found this useful!

Bonne chance pour tes etudes et l'avenir! :h:

Thank you very much, recently i've actually been looking for things to read and watch to improve my french, i found this very helpful, thank you! And also I sorry to disturb you but I was just wondering where the grammar and vocabularys can be found on the aqa website, because when I clicked on the link it says the page is not found, and I can't seem to find it anywhere on the aqa website.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 18
Original post by *LifeHappens*
Here are my tips:

Science:
- Use freesciencelessons and cognito yt channels to help you understand the content
- Make super concise notes (maximum an A4 page) for each topic (or just for topics that you don't understand well), this is a resource for you to refer back to when you're confused - use freesciencelessons and your exam board specification to help you do this
- Finally, practice! Use physics and maths tutor (pmt) and mme revise for free practice questions with mark scheme
- Make sure to revise practicals and know your equations, as these are common questions that pop up in an exam

Languages: (Unfortunately, I don't do french for gcse, but here are some general tips)
- Extend your learning outside of school by doing a language course, you can use duolingo or Rosetta stone (basically anything), because not only does this help consolidate your learning it also helps you learn more vocab and grammar which are essential for learning a language!
- Expand your learning to help fluency in your understanding by listening to podcasts or french music/ french versions of your favourite songs (if you're a music person), read french books or french versions of your favourite books (if you love reading) or watch french tv/movies or french versions of your favourite tv shows + movies (if you love entertainment)
- Use quizlet and make flashcards on topics that you are weak in, reviewing them once every week or two weeks really helped me for my gcse language

Religious studies:
- Use your specification!!! I do edexcel, but it's basically a checklist telling you the info you need to know and which specific quotes you need to refer to
- Make concise notes/flashcards for each topic, this helps you to learn the content and it's something you can use to review content before an exam
- Use past papers, mark schemes and examiner reports to help you understand the types of questions you will be asked, you can even use them to help you make flashcards/notes for your topics. It's also a great way to test your understanding on the topics
- Find a good revision guide if needed, cgp is good, as well as the pearson edexcel one (if you do edexcel) - but the main point is to find a resource that doesn't just give you the content for the sake of filling up pages, but to find a resource that gives you summarised and only the necessary notes that will actually give you understanding and help for your exams
- BBC bitesize, revision world and save my exams are great websites too

I hope that helps and good luck!

Thank you so much, this is very helpful, I don't even know why but I just completely forgot to look at the specification so this also reminded me, and once again thank you very much for the rest of the tips too!
Reply 19
Ooh okay. I'm not sure if its the same for igcse edexcel but I did gcse aqa and maybe you might have noticed but in their mark schemes to some questions, they always have like a pattern or format they follow when answering. For my exam board at least... you could talk everything in your answer (not literally but like-) but if you didn't mention a sentence or word or phrase, that's a few marks lost even though you were on the right track/ technically right with what you said. So try to find any patterns in the sample responses in the mark schemes, because it will definitely help in securing some marks. This is like a small exam technique. I don't know if what I said makes sense, but if it doesn't let me know :smile:. This strategy helped me a lot

Yeah, I think igcse edexcel may also be somewhat the same, because when I went through the chemistry paper I realised was on the right track but I lost marks because of not including the specific word the mark schemes needed. Thank you very much for this exam technique, it is definitely something I'll make sure to keep in mind when revising.

Quick Reply

Latest