The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Dnator
TSR will have an absolute field day when you get your rejection letter.

He won't be receiving a rejection letter. He will receive no reply at all - he's not worth the paper, nor the ink.
Reply 81
Given that I'm so academic's first post on TSR was about AS level choices two years ago, one would expect s/he's now finished school- and any rejection letter probably arrived a long time ago- unless of course AS/A2 grades were so bad that applying wasn't deemed worthwhile. Unsurprising that s/he didn't mention it on here though. There's always next year, I guess. You can always just say you go to Brookes College, Oxford, if the name really means that much to you.

Oh, and I don't intend to reply to the PM either- because the answer to the question should be blindingly obvious. I think it should be fairly clear a) why anyone would want to do a history PhD and b) what they hope to do after it. I'll give you a clue: The answers aren't "for the money" or "Investment banking".
Reply 82
0404343m
Given that I'm so academic's first post on TSR was about AS level choices two years ago, one would expect s/he's now finished school- and any rejection letter probably arrived a long time ago- unless of course AS/A2 grades were so bad that applying wasn't deemed worthwhile. Unsurprising that s/he didn't mention it on here though. There's always next year, I guess. You can always just say you go to Brookes College, Oxford, if the name really means that much to you.

Oh, and I don't intend to reply to the PM either- because the answer to the question should be blindingly obvious. I think it should be fairly clear a) why anyone would want to do a history PhD and b) what they hope to do after it. I'll give you a clue: The answers aren't "for the money" or "Investment banking".

Reply 83
Focus08

Did you really expect someone to throw their hat into the arts/humanities doctorate ring who really wanted to go into investment banking? It was more of a rebuttal of Imso's PM which asked "why did you choose to do a history PhD, what do you want to do after it?"

Maybe I should have said IB and mindf***ed him/her.
Reply 84
im so academic
Sorry about my Warwick comments

I realised I may have made some offensive comments about Warwick, in which , I apologise for.

I truly am sorry.

Warwick is a good university, but I guess I let my personal opinions you know, offend people.

Just because I don't like Warwick, it doesn't mean that Warwick is ****.

Warwick is nice, and you know, I wish you luck for your Chemistry degree

Patronising ****
I don't think that University Degrees have been dumbed down, I haven't been yet but from what I have dicussed from what members of my family whom have been that's the impression I get.
Sorry if I offend some, but I think they've added a lot of not 'acedemic' subjects to the Universities which I don't think is right, in some respects it devalues a degree (as well as makes the amount of student loans too much for the countries finances to handle).
But no, the content in courses probably haven't been dumbed down - comments like that are made by older people who didn't get as good grades as the current people.

These are just my personal opinions though - I'm sure some people think that Sport and Media Studies are subjects which deserve a place in University not at just a college. I'm fine with these courses if taken with a teaching degree course as well though or in comination with something acedemic and not 'creative'.
Reply 86
OK people lets change tack. Most degree programmes in European universities tend to take longer and are more in depth. The traditional degree is a diploma of 10 sometimes 12 semesters long. The EU is requiring European universities to follow the UK degree model with a 3-year BSc but followed by a 2-year MSc postgraduate degree. State funded German universities charge very low tuition fees (about 400 to 500 Euros per semester) and quite a few now teach in English. So would you believe that most European universities offer degrees to a higher standard of quality, and that UK university degrees may be over rated by comparison?
im so academic
I don't believe UK degrees are dumbed down (do not insult Oxbridge here), I just think the word "degree" has been pushed too far now, e.g. doss courses at ex-polys.

I find it depressing that you can study **** like "Events Management" at some low rate university.

Imo, university should be about the pursuit of an academic education.

I hate your username, with the oxford logo as an avater - pisses me off for being so pretentious.
draikzer
You are so elitist it's actually sickening...

Oxbridge is a dump, and should be burnt down along with the small amount of Justin Beiber's pubic hair.

I hope that hurt.

S/he hasn't even sat A levels yet, lol.
GodspeedGehenna
TSR. Where graduates come to get their degree slated by GCSE kids.

Sigged.
Reply 90
What's the deal with this 'im so academic' troll?

Is she at University yet?
Byllie
What's the deal with this 'im so academic' troll?

Is she at University yet?

Her posts from two years ago say she was in year 11 in 2008, her posts now say she's in year 9. :rolleyes: If either of those cases are true, then she hasn't been to university.

Latest

Trending

Trending