The Student Room Group

applying to US unis

So I'm a prospective medicine student but my achieved A levels are A*ABC in history, biology, chemistry and maths respectively. Where can I apply to US unis with a good shot of getting in? I'm aware of the emphasis they put on extracurriculars and I have a lot: work experience at a nursery + pharmacy, applied at a GP for work experience, volunteering with students who have learning difficulties, volunteering at my old school, publishing poetry, essay competitions and speech compettions, deputy head girl, prefect, peer mentor in my sixth form etc
Original post by epoch.ly
So I'm a prospective medicine student but my achieved A levels are A*ABC in history, biology, chemistry and maths respectively. Where can I apply to US unis with a good shot of getting in? I'm aware of the emphasis they put on extracurriculars and I have a lot: work experience at a nursery + pharmacy, applied at a GP for work experience, volunteering with students who have learning difficulties, volunteering at my old school, publishing poetry, essay competitions and speech compettions, deputy head girl, prefect, peer mentor in my sixth form etc

American here-you really have to narrow it down. There are a TON of universities that would accept you. Do you want to live in a desert? A forest? By the beach?
Reply 2
Original post by Islee
American here-you really have to narrow it down. There are a TON of universities that would accept you. Do you want to live in a desert? A forest? By the beach?

ooo to be honest i haven't decided yet, i'm just sort of wondering if any would take me and then choose based on that. do you have any suggestions? i don't think i have a preference but maybe not anywhere too secluded - perhaps near a city or somewhere populated?
Note that medicine in the US is a graduate degree only and you would need to do a 4 year undergraduate degree before you can start the 4 year medical degree there.

It is literally cheaper and faster to just take even 3 gap years and retake your A-levels then reapply to medicine in the UK than to do an undergraduate degree in the US first...
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
Note that medicine in the US is a graduate degree only and you would need to do a 4 year undergraduate degree before you can start the 4 year medical degree there.

It is literally cheaper and faster to just take even 3 gap years and retake your A-levels then reapply to medicine in the UK than to do an undergraduate degree in the US first...

Hey, yep I am aware of the extortionate costs lol. I'm still considering it, UK is obviously my priority but I liked the idea of studying internationally in the US for a while (:
ooo to be honest i haven't decided yet, i'm just sort of wondering if any would take me and then choose based on that. do you have any suggestions? i don't think i have a preference but maybe not anywhere too secluded - perhaps near a city or somewhere populated?

Oregon Institute of Technology, Oregon State, Colorado State, UNR, UNLV, Iowa State, Kansas State, UAB, Washington State, University of Kansas...I think Oregon would be nice, it has good weather if you like rain. Washington is more similar to the UK in terms of politics, while UNR is good if you want to live in a small city with lots of people and no rain.
Edit: as other poster said, US schooling takes longer and is super expensive. I hate living in the US and want out, but I respect that not everyone has the same needs or wants as me. Probably the best option for you would be to go to a dual degree university or an exchange year. Depends on how much you love the US.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Islee
Oregon Institute of Technology, Oregon State, Colorado State, UNR, UNLV, Iowa State, Kansas State, UAB, Washington State, University of Kansas...I think Oregon would be nice, it has good weather if you like rain. Washington is more similar to the UK in terms of politics, while UNR is good if you want to live in a small city with lots of people and no rain.
Edit: as other poster said, US schooling takes longer and is super expensive. I hate living in the US and want out, but I respect that not everyone has the same needs or wants as me. Probably the best option for you would be to go to a dual degree university or an exchange year. Depends on how much you love the US.

Good point, thanks for bringing that up I'll consider it! And thanks so much for the suggestions. Also, do you know what kind of grades Ivy leagues want, or where I can find the info? Tried googling but could only find harvard needing at least 3 As lol
Good point, thanks for bringing that up I'll consider it! And thanks so much for the suggestions. Also, do you know what kind of grades Ivy leagues want, or where I can find the info? Tried googling but could only find harvard needing at least 3 As lol

One reason I am SO glad I am going to the UK is the cleaner entry requirement page! I agree it is difficult to find entry requirements on the pages of US colleges for UK students. I think you would need at least 3 As for any Ivy League. Looking at your current scores, it doesn't look like you could make it to an Ivy League unless you redid your A-levels, especially because of that C. A biology undergraduate degree would probably suit you best based on your A-levels/want for a medicine degree. Please don't get discouraged though, because Ivy Leagues aren't that important. Getting good grades in a mediocre university still looks good to employers, and if you are good at your job you will make money regardless of the university. Do you plan on living in the US permanently or just going for uni?
Reply 8
Original post by Islee
One reason I am SO glad I am going to the UK is the cleaner entry requirement page! I agree it is difficult to find entry requirements on the pages of US colleges for UK students. I think you would need at least 3 As for any Ivy League. Looking at your current scores, it doesn't look like you could make it to an Ivy League unless you redid your A-levels, especially because of that C. A biology undergraduate degree would probably suit you best based on your A-levels/want for a medicine degree. Please don't get discouraged though, because Ivy Leagues aren't that important. Getting good grades in a mediocre university still looks good to employers, and if you are good at your job you will make money regardless of the university. Do you plan on living in the US permanently or just going for uni?

Thank you for the advice I really appreciate it! Yes it’s tough finding info, the C really pulls it down but I was 1 mark off a B so sent it over for a remark. My history got remarked to an A* so I’ll see how that goes . How do other unis feel about resits too ? And maybe just as a student. I’m just toying with the idea at the moment, UK is my main priority for med and US might just be a backup or something , but the application process seems way too convoluted (too many factors to consider like GPA, grade records, ranks etc :frown:)
Thank you for the advice I really appreciate it! Yes it’s tough finding info, the C really pulls it down but I was 1 mark off a B so sent it over for a remark. My history got remarked to an A* so I’ll see how that goes . How do other unis feel about resits too ? And maybe just as a student. I’m just toying with the idea at the moment, UK is my main priority for med and US might just be a backup or something , but the application process seems way too convoluted (too many factors to consider like GPA, grade records, ranks etc :frown:)

If US is a backup plan, I wouldn't focus on it too much. Don't worry about GPA, grades, or ranks because they don't apply to you. There is a completely different process for UK students. I don't know about how UK unis feel on resits, but I doubt US universities are caught up on it. The reason I say this is because Americans who resit an ACT or SAT test can send in their best one and not send their worst, so it seems US universities just take the best. But whether you resit them or not, there are plenty of average US unis that would take you. One issue with US universities is that, like another user said, it is more luck-based. I have seen people who were accepted by a good university and rejected from a bad one for no apparent reason.
Reply 10
Original post by Islee
If US is a backup plan, I wouldn't focus on it too much. Don't worry about GPA, grades, or ranks because they don't apply to you. There is a completely different process for UK students. I don't know about how UK unis feel on resits, but I doubt US universities are caught up on it. The reason I say this is because Americans who resit an ACT or SAT test can send in their best one and not send their worst, so it seems US universities just take the best. But whether you resit them or not, there are plenty of average US unis that would take you. One issue with US universities is that, like another user said, it is more luck-based. I have seen people who were accepted by a good university and rejected from a bad one for no apparent reason.

alright, thanks so much this was really helpful :smile: i hope you enjoy the uk!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending