The Student Room Group

3rd Class in engineering

Although I am proud to have got a degree in engineering but I did not get the best grade for medical reasons

Please don't talk about talking to the uni about it. its too late.

a 3rd class in engineering is dangerous as its a very technical field. I am now in the hole of graduating with no experience so graduate progammes will turn me away.

Been applying for jobs for a while now

been looking at 5 jobs sites for internship or even apprenticeship from small to large companies

i'm scared ill be searching for 2 years

Those who got 3rd class in engineering or know someone who did what did you do to get the first work experience? after you get that first experience it only becomes easier. I just need to break that barrier.

interested in energy, oil+gas, pharm, manufacturing, chemical/process, manufacturing, aircraft(rolls royce)
(edited 5 years ago)
Perhaps you need to apply at the level below graduate as you suggest.

Look at careers pages on RAF, Navy and Army.

They have a number of trainee jobs going for the after A level entry level in Engineering for IT, Electrical, Mechanical etc.
These jobs do not require previous experience and would be learning via a hands on method with training/education paid for.

I know it's not graduate entry but would allow you to get the experience you require with a salary and low living costs.
The problem with Graduate entry programs is that the requirements are set very high and you cannot compete.

However Engineers where I work tell me that an Apprentice style route of training is often better from a practical point of view.

At least have a look before you dismiss.
Reply 2
Original post by LouiseRu
Perhaps you need to apply at the level below graduate as you suggest.

Look at careers pages on RAF, Navy and Army.

They have a number of trainee jobs going for the after A level entry level in Engineering for IT, Electrical, Mechanical etc.
These jobs do not require previous experience and would be learning via a hands on method with training/education paid for.

I know it's not graduate entry but would allow you to get the experience you require with a salary and low living costs.
The problem with Graduate entry programs is that the requirements are set very high and you cannot compete.

However Engineers where I work tell me that an Apprentice style route of training is often better from a practical point of view.

At least have a look before you dismiss.

Ive thought about RAF army jobs but too much testerstrone will make me go mad
Original post by An Engineer

The world doesn't resolve around the UK. Besides the UK job market is very bad and will continue to be so until and unless the current government is removed and people who know how to improve the economy are voted in.

You should be looking for jobs in the US, Dubai, Hong Kong, Brunei etc. The pay package for expats are good and you will learn loads from other experienced engineers. Take a look at the following job sites.

Spoiler

Look for any type of engineering role anywhere, any type of experience is arguably better than a 2:1/1st and no experience at all. Like Audrey18 said, the UK is a hilariously small market, narrowminded in their hiring process and also just crap if you wanna have a decent career here compared to the rest of the world. Don't be afraid to look in other countries where they care less about grades. For example I live in Holland and a lot of the engineering vacancies I've seen don't ask for a specific grade, just the degree. If you can write a good cover letter and get through the interview, your chances are pretty good.

Without sounding cliché, getting a 3rd doesn't have to mean it's the end! People always want engineers and as long as your former medical issues aren't holding you back anymore, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to get back on your feet :smile:
a 3rd basically means cutting your losses and learning to move on. You learn from the experience and fun times you had but it basically counts as nothing on your CV.

apply for entry level jobs in various back offices functions of big companies eg call centres or operations

Original post by alexschmalex
Look for any type of engineering role anywhere, any type of experience is arguably better than a 2:1/1st and no experience at all. Like Audrey18 said, the UK is a hilariously small market, narrowminded in their hiring process and also just crap if you wanna have a decent career here compared to the rest of the world. Don't be afraid to look in other countries where they care less about grades. For example I live in Holland and a lot of the engineering vacancies I've seen don't ask for a specific grade, just the degree. If you can write a good cover letter and get through the interview, your chances are pretty good.

Without sounding cliché, getting a 3rd doesn't have to mean it's the end! People always want engineers and as long as your former medical issues aren't holding you back anymore, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to get back on your feet :smile:

Just because its not stated doesnt mean they dont consider it when evaluating your application
Reply 6
Don't worry about things now. It's best to move on.

Try looking for jobs all around and try to get as much experience as possible as that's what employers are looking for.

Also, if it doesn't work out, you can always start your own company :smile:

But whatever you do, Good Luck!
Original post by hannah00
a 3rd basically means cutting your losses and learning to move on. You learn from the experience and fun times you had but it basically counts as nothing on your CV.

apply for entry level jobs in various back offices functions of big companies eg call centres or operations

Just because its not stated doesnt mean they dont consider it when evaluating your application

The engineering field is massive with a bunch of types of jobs to do, as long as OP can prove (s)he can do the role then the 3rd is a hurdle but not a total door stop. Getting the degree is better than not having it, doesn't mean they're consigned to working in call centers making pennies for the rest of their lives. As I said, the rest of the world isn't as hung up about is as they are in the UK
(edited 5 years ago)
The engineering field is massive with a bunch of types of jobs to do, as long as OP can prove (s)he can do the role then the 3rd is a hurdle but not a total door stop. Getting the degree is better than not having it, doesn't mean they're consigned to working in call centers make pennies for the rest of their lives. As I said, the rest of the world isn't as hung up about is as they are in the UK

no getting a 3rd is an indictment of your ability, employers dont just want someone who can do the role okayish for the first 6 months.

no its not.

Yes it does, and you can still have a decent standard of living, the uk average wage is 26k that means half the population earns less than that. Dont insult other peoples jobs, perfectly easy to have a decent standard of living on 17k better than being homeless and no money for a bigmac.

Rest of the world does care if not more, in germany your life is basically decided at the age of 14 . You are grossly misinformed if you think companies in dubai offer expat packages for entry level jobs

OP needs to adjust expectations, dont give him false hope. Even oxbridge graduates do jobs they dont like after being unable to get jobs
no getting a 3rd is an indictment of your ability, employers dont just want someone who can do the role okayish for the first 6 months.

no its not.

Yes it does, and you can still have a decent standard of living, the uk average wage is 26k that means half the population earns less than that. Dont insult other peoples jobs, perfectly easy to have a decent standard of living on 17k better than being homeless and no money for a bigmac.

Rest of the world does care if not more, in germany your life is basically decided at the age of 14 . You are grossly misinformed if you think companies in dubai offer expat packages for entry level jobs

OP needs to adjust expectations, dont give him false hope. Even oxbridge graduates do jobs they dont like after being unable to get jobs

I don't know which Germans you know but having a German uncle and a bunch of friends from there, that's not exactly true. My ex went to Oxford and still got a "low quality" job when she came home to Holland, the culture around education here is just different.

I also never implied they'll walk into any and every job with a 3rd, just that it's not the be all end all to each potential employer out there. Especially with their medical situation, it's not like they were totally incompetent and messed around for the degree, for all we know there were massive stretches of time they couldn't be in class/study for exams. It's not indicative of their ability to do work and there are plenty of employers out there who understand that, they just need to be found.
Likewise I never said they shouldn't get an in between job for the time being, I'm just saying it's not the end of any hopes to get into an engineering career. One of my mom's friends didn't even study engineering and still has a really good job at the space agency so I don't understand the notion that grades are everything. They definitely matter but not every door requires them to get through them, that's literally my only point. As long as OP looks hard enough they'll find a good stepping stone. That's not giving false hope, it's just being realistic about the fact that the world doesn't revolve exclusively around grades. But we've derailed this thread enough so best of luck to you OP 👍🏾
Original post by An Engineer

Look go and visit their careers offices or speak to an online advisor.

You might as well look into it as it also gives you other job options to look at as well.

How else can you get experience.

Can your parents continue to financially support you?

You also get to travel and do other exciting things.

Do not dismiss this option on the basis of what you think it may be like?

What other options do you have?

thanks!

whats annoying is I was very capable of 2:1

the last semester of last year was pretty much memorising
what do you study and when did you grad?
Reply 12

no its not.

You are disgusting how are you killing someone’s morale? You clearly are no leader. Engineering isn’t about your degree it’s about what you can do what you’re willing to learn. This is why design engineer jobs don’t always state 2.1 or more, they state HND. You’re a **** 🤷🏽*♂️ open your dumb mind
RAF & Royal Navy are excellent avenues to go down to fill out the CV. A lot of their roles will involve further qualifications which is great. But yeah once you got the experience, the degree mark isn’t gonna hold you back much.

All the best.
(edited 5 years ago)
Dear OP,

There are always ways to gain experience and get a job in a field you are interested in. A 3rd should not stop you, not everyone is made for academic study. I have a friend who graduated with a 3rd and now works as an engineer earning 50k simply from practical skills, experience and the right attitude. the first role as a trainee engineer working in robotics came through networking. There is a certain amount of 'who you know' and luck, but there are some things you can do to help it along.

a few suggestions

- contact your university careers service for an advice session and potential employer contacts - many universities will offer support for a number of years after you graduate and often run excellent careers events where you can speak to several employers. If you have someone there who is responsible for internships/placements or employer engagement, get in touch with them. the careers information team (those that answer the phone when you ring) will know who to put you in touch with to speak to them.
- contact the Open University (or yours) and ask to speak to a disability adviser - they will be able to offer some help in disclosing your previous or current medical issues to an employer and this will help you talk about your degree result in a more positive way, if this is something you are worried about.
- some of the larger companies e.g. EY (not engineering I know) are dropping their degree requirement for graduate recruitment, I would perhaps not focus too much on the larger graduate schemes and look instead for 'graduate jobs' as these are not the same thing at all. A graduate level job is a role you would usually go into at an entry level, a graduate scheme is a training programme with a job at the end. the second is much more competitive and it is well known that there aren't enough Graduate SCHEMES, for the number of new graduates every year.

Think about what your strengths are, what you are good at and how you got through your degree - what motivated you and what skills did you need/develop?
did you do anything to enhance your knowledge/for your own enjoyment of engineering whilst you were studying? this could be brought up when speaking to an employer also.
Which engineering professional body accredited your degree? They will have a list of skills that you will have achieved as part of your degree regardless of result and this is one way you can sell yourself

Make professional friends on linked in - choose a few small companies that you find interesting working in a field you like and just say hi. once you have exchanged a few pleasantries (be sure to complement the company and make reference to something interesting they are doing) you can ask if they have any advice for you in relation to gaining experience. You need to bypass the recruiters and speak to someone technical who will understand your situation.

finally, go to job fairs, not the london grad fair etc, but ones that focus on areas of interest or up and coming areas - future tech in cities for example. get on the mailing lists of the catapults and start talking to some of the SME's that are under the business incubators there

although it is not ideal, there is always volunteering as well and these smaller companies will definitely appreciate the additional help. you can offer a few hours only if you are already working somewhere else.

I hope this helps, you just need to do some research, make some contacts and I'm sure you can past that first barrier

Good Luck!
Reply 15

(I know this is an old thread but for anyone searching in here read on) What this user has said is not true in Engineering, an Honours degree on an accredited course is extremely valuable long term, you will find it much easier to gain Incorporated and Chartered Engineer status as you build experience alongside your accredited qualification - don't let the academia snobs of TSR put you off fellow Engineers!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending