The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

NothingOnYou
Golden Triangle + Warwick =
Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Imperial, Warwick.

Sorry but why + Warwick?

If Warwick's in there, Durham deserves to be in there too. :hmmm:
Planto
Why would they have "equivalents"? Do I have an equivalent American person? Oooh, I wonder where my equivalent American house is!

Also, American unis are just downright nicer than British ones on the whole.

This.
Reply 22
holmes221
Read the thread comments first please

Don't tell me what to do.

I did.
holmes221
By ivy league I was referring to their prestige and research value

Research value? I have a very long list of US universities that could top Brown and Dartmouth's research contribution.
Reply 24
Planto
Don't tell me what to do.

I did.

ok nice one
Reply 25
im so academic
Sorry but why + Warwick?

If Warwick's in there, Durham deserves to be in there too. :hmmm:

What the **** is your problem you little ******
Planto
Why would they have "equivalents"? Do I have an equivalent American person? Oooh, I wonder where my equivalent American house is!

I agree, every single university has its own good and bad particularities..they are all different taking in account many aspects,however..I think I understand the purpose of the thread
Reply 27
vander Beth
Research value? I have a very long list of US universities that could top Brown and Dartmouth's research contribution.

Yes but for the sake of arguement lets just refer to the diverse colleges in the ivy league
Oxbridge. Nevertheless even better. :-P
robinson999
yeah that was the main reason that the league was started up, well first called that by that by a sports writer

they all are private uni who get a hell of a lot of money of old students, and endowment that none of our uni can match, they are the USA oldest 8
people like league tables on this site http://www.usnews.com/articles/education/worlds-best-universities/2010/02/25/worlds-best-universities-top-400.html

William & Mary is older than all of them but Harvard and Rutgers is older than Dartmouth.

/pedantic :wink:
Reply 30
robinson999
yeah that was the main reason that the league was started up, well first called that by that by a sports writer

they all are private uni who get a hell of a lot of money of old students, and endowment that none of our uni can match, they are the USA oldest 8
people like league tables on this site http://www.usnews.com/articles/education/worlds-best-universities/2010/02/25/worlds-best-universities-top-400.html

off topic but do you think UCL will still be around 4th this years world rankings :biggrin:
Planto
Do I have an equivalent American person?

Yes. Yes, you do.

In all seriousness, i think the OP meant to refer to them as "English counterparts" rather than equivalents.
u do relaise almost all of uni of cali colleges like ucla berkley and stuff an cali tech are better than some of the ivy leagues
Reply 33
Planto

there are embarrassing people in america too you know.
mike_mike
I agree, every single university has its own good and bad particularities..they are all different taking in account many aspects,however..I think I understand the purpose of the thread

I'm interested to hear what your interpretation of "the purpose" is (and not in a mean way)! This thread bothers me because it's conflating general elitism in American Higher Education with general elitism in UK H.E. into one giant douche-hydrant:eek: . Elitism is a matter of perception of course, but the very topic can breed a toxic mentality. A contradiction where a few can feel more special by making their own specialness less special by equating it with another identity from across the pond.
Reply 35
holmes221
there are embarrassing people in america too you know.

It took you 33 minutes to come up with that?
Reply 36
vander Beth
oh god not again

My thoughts precisely. My heart really sinks with all the ****-wittery that goes on here sometimes.
Reply 37
WaltzvWendt
I'm interested to hear what your interpretation of "the purpose" is (and not in a mean way)! This thread bothers me because it's conflating general elitism in American Higher Education with general elitism in UK H.E. into one giant douche-hydrant:eek: . Elitism is a matter of perception of course, but the very topic can breed a toxic mentality. A contradiction where a few can feel more special by making their own specialness less special by equating it with another identity from across the pond.

Ok feel free to compare every university in the USA to every university in the UK it doesn't matter.
Reply 38
Focus08
Harvard= Cam
Yale=Ox
MIT=Imp
Columbia=UCL
Princeton=LSE
Stanford=Warwick
Brown= Durham

Just taking the top 7 in the UK and trying to assign an approximate equivalent

Stanford and MIT are not in the Ivy League... you forgot UPenn, Cornell, and Darmouth
robinson999
i did not know that :o: not help by the fact like many others don't know of many US colleges apart from those that either end up on tv and that over here

So true. :smile: I dip into the North American forums every now and again and I don't think I've ever seen a British applicant apply for a liberal arts college.

Latest

Trending

Trending