The Student Room Group

Applying to masters in US from Russell group - theoretical

Would someone be able to get into an Ivy league graduate program with a first from a "average" russell group say Manchester or Leeds? With degree in related field. Would there be scholarships available? Am curious as to what academic level that student would have to achieve to for each of those things.
Original post by Anonymous
Would someone be able to get into an Ivy league graduate program with a first from a "average" russell group say Manchester or Leeds? With degree in related field. Would there be scholarships available? Am curious as to what academic level that student would have to achieve to for each of those things.

I think it is possible. Secure a first and ensure that you have a strong application.
Reply 2
Original post by Wired_1800
I think it is possible. Secure a first and ensure that you have a strong application.

What would that include also what would you say are chances
What would that include also what would you say are chances

I cannot predict your chance as you will be competing globally against some of the best minds on the planet.

You should look at the Uni’s application requirements and start assembling the evidence.

It's possible but broaden your search to Big 10 universities and others. I got into a Big 10 from my 'average' Russell Group university with funding and then ended up doing an Ivy League PhD. Every single British person I've met here so far went to Oxford, Cambridge, or Imperial, at some point in their studies. But it depends on the field and also the Ivy.
Reply 5
It's possible but broaden your search to Big 10 universities and others. I got into a Big 10 from my 'average' Russell Group university with funding and then ended up doing an Ivy League PhD. Every single British person I've met here so far went to Oxford, Cambridge, or Imperial, at some point in their studies. But it depends on the field and also the Ivy.

Politics/history it would be
There's someone on this forum who got an offer from an Ivy League uni for a PhD after going to exactly one of those example universities. So it's certainly possible.

Also note that the Ivy League is a sporting association like BUCS. It has no influence on academics, it just so happens they're the oldest and hence richest universities in the US and are conventionally considered among the strongest academically - but there are plenty of non-Ivies that are as strong or stronger than Ivy League unis in general or in specific fields. For example Stanford, UChicago, MIT, CalTech, Carnegie Mellon, Berkeley, UCLA, etc.

Ivy League universities normally offer a full funding package for PhDs and generally it's expected in the US that you would only accept a PhD offer if it was fully funded. The criteria to get a fully funded PhD in the US is going to be similar to achieve the same in the UK - very good academic results (a 1st would be generally assumed at minimum), plus ideally research exposure if not actual experience, a relevant masters in hand would probably be helpful, good letters of recommendation from established academics who are familiar with your work, etc.

The main difference would be a research proposal is not usually part of the US PhD application process as I understand it, as you don't directly embark on the research project for PhDs in the US (unlike in the UK).

For a masters degree your options are considerably more limited as most of those universities don't typically offer a so-called "terminal masters" (i.e. a taught masters as in the UK). Many departments at those universities ?i.e. Ivy league and similar) in the US only offer a masters "en route" to the PhD and expect you to apply to the PhD programme itself. Funding is usually very limited for masters degrees, unless you get a TA/RA funded position or are a top level athlete eligible for athletics scholarships (I know someone who did that - I think she was an alternate for the UK Olympic team in her sport I believe though, the level is very high).
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending