The Student Room Group

as clever as that is, i have already googled it but what im reading isnt making that much sense to me, i need it explained
Reply 3
Something to do with the response for the failures of the State, or how it is regulated?
Reply 4
The "hollowing out of the state" is a term that refers to when political power is taken away/given away to a higher body. For instance, some people might argue that Britain has undergone a hollowing out of the state due to its membership of the European Union; it is bound to certain decisions made by the EU.

Similarly, the term is sometimes used in domestic politics to explain occasions when political power is taken away/given up from local bodies, say councils, to higher bodies, say Westminster.

There are different interpretations of the hollowing out of the state depending on whether one considers the power to have been voluntary given up or had it taken away from them. For instance, one might argue that we choose to be a member of the EU and could regain our decision-making ability in an instant by leaving so ultimately we retain our own power etc because we have that option.

Essentially though, it's the opposite to 'subsidiarity' which is power/decision-making at the lowest possible level. Hope it helps.

Latest

Trending

Trending