The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
callum9999
Ah yeah I guess it could be. For all we know, this whole world could just be our/someones imagination and we don't even exist!

Well it would be pretty dangerous to just assume they will be nice, but then if they have the technology to come here I'm sure they have the technology to destroy us. Thats assuming their race is even as remotely evil as the human race though. They could be tollerant, friendly aliens who have no crime/wars where they come from - they'd be in for a shock arriving here!

That was my second Q.
Go to the first page, near the middle - middle/bottom and I asked a second Q, "do you think they'll be hostile?"
You have the same sort of theory my mum has; that if they can get here, clearly there is nothing we can teach them, so its a safe bet they'll be hostile.
Then again, if we go galavanting off to see other aliens (if/when we find them) its just as likely they'll think we are coming to attack them and defend themselves.
Upon first contact, both sides will have to keep a very, very open mind me thinks. :p:
Reply 41
rhys_please
I believe that we're not the only intelligent lifeforms in the grand scheme. And I don't understand how people can freak out over other lifeforms visiting us, like its some amazing, not possible thing. We visit other planets, right?

I'd like it if we were calm about a visit. However, I think most people would see any visit as this:

If they do come, I'm sure we'll be quite freaked out when they wave their death-rays!

Haha! :p: I know I'd freak.
However, you're right, we do just assume that aliens will be hostile.
Which I think is in no small part the fault of Hollywood films, and I don't think that's such a stupid thing to suggest.
DH-Biker
That was my second Q.
Go to the first page, near the middle - middle/bottom and I asked a second Q, "do you think they'll be hostile?"
You have the same sort of theory my mum has; that if they can get here, clearly there is nothing we can teach them, so its a safe bet they'll be hostile.
Then again, if we go galavanting off to see other aliens (if/when we find them) its just as likely they'll think we are coming to attack them and defend themselves.
Upon first contact, both sides will have to keep a very, very open mind me thinks. :p:

I don't necessarily think they will be hostile - but most people would assume so.

If instead of spending the trillions and trillions and trillions of pounds on weapons etc each year, that was spent on research, we would be far more advanced by now. I guess that actually makes it more likely that they will be peaceful than hostile.
DH-Biker
I'd like it if w were calm about a visit. However, I think most people would see any visit as this:

If they do come, I'm sure we'll be quite freaked out when they wave their death-rays!

Haha! :p: I know I'd freak.
However, you're right, we do just assume that aliens will be hostile.
Which I think is in no small part the fault of Hollywood films, and I don't think that's such a stupid thing to suggest.

I know what you mean, the movies paint no pretty pictures. Only good things could come from visits from our distant brothers! They'll have gone a step further than us and been able to contact another lifeform, hell, maybe they've contacted a load of others! Im sure if we're lovely to them, they'll share their secrets.

And I bet theres some pretty awesome music they could share from space.
Reply 44
DH-Biker
I think they'd at least be partially like us (or I'd hope so) in the fact that they are eager to see what else is out there. Then again, I agree with her that its likely-er that they are hostile. Anyway, your views on that too?

wait a minute, you just forgot one thing though, a quite crucial one. They don't necessarily want to visit us because they are ''eager to see what else is out there'' like you said. What if actually their planet is full and over populated and they are looking for other planets in the universe to live on, meaning the human race will either be exterminated completely or we will become 'slaves' or what ever they want to do with us.

So , so far of the two possibilities, one is that they are definitely hostile and the other one is 50/50 perhaps? difficult to answer that really. If there would be a race like humans I'd assume they would also consider our feelings perhaps and want to deal with things in a humane way (if you know what I mean :p: ) and if not they might experiment on us..
Reply 45
DH-Biker
I think they'd at least be partially like us (or I'd hope so) in the fact that they are eager to see what else is out there. Then again, I agree with her that its likely-er that they are hostile. Anyway, your views on that too?

wait a minute, you just forgot one thing though, a quite crucial one. They don't necessarily want to visit us because they are ''eager to see what else is out there'' like you said. What if actually their planet is full and over populated and they are looking for other planets in the universe to live on, meaning the human race will either be exterminated completely or we will become 'slaves' or what ever they want to do with us.

So , so far of the two possibilities, one is that they are definitely hostile and the other one is 50/50 perhaps? difficult to answer that really. If there would be a race like humans I'd assume they would also consider our feelings perhaps and want to deal with things in a humane way (if you know what I mean :p: ) and if not they might experiment on us..
Reply 46
callum9999
I don't necessarily think they will be hostile - but most people would assume so.

If instead of spending the trillions and trillions and trillions of pounds on weapons etc each year, that was spent on research, we would be far more advanced by now. I guess that actually makes it more likely that they will be peaceful than hostile.

Do you mean:

This Alien Race (X) has spent its time investingating space travel and exploration rather then weaponry and warfare - Thus its likely its a peaceful nation as it has a "need" per se to go out and find things?

I like that theory.
However, to flip it, you could say that they are a race that wants to create an Empire, and thus we will be seen as slaves.
Although, that's one of the better theories that I've heard. :smile:
Reply 47
rhys_please
I know what you mean, the movies paint no pretty pictures. Only good things could come from visits from our distant brothers! They'll have gone a step further than us and been able to contact another lifeform, hell, maybe they've contacted a load of others! Im sure if we're lovely to them, they'll share their secrets.

And I bet theres some pretty awesome music they could share from space.

Those are things I'd like to see shared. Music, literature, media etc etc.
We assume that ours is "right" as we've made it. I'd like to see if they've made music, written books or made films.
And a first empire, eh?
Who knows, maybe, like you say, there is a massive one spanning millions of galaxies right now, and (if its not too far fetched a theory) I'd like to imagine an empire type-set up that knew the answers to everything between each other.
One that spanned the whole of Space (if it ends).

Now, that would be a sight! :wink: Nod to Star Wars here :P
DH-Biker
Those are things I'd like to see shared. Music, literature, media etc etc.
We assume that ours is "right" as we've made it. I'd like to see if they've made music, written books or made films.
And a first empire, eh?
Who knows, maybe, like you say, there is a massive one spanning millions of galaxies right now, and (if its not too far fetched a theory) I'd like to imagine an empire type-set up that knew the answers to everything between each other.
One that spanned the whole of Space (if it ends).

Now, that would be a sight! :wink: Nod to Star Wars here :P

Eee, I dont know wether I'd like to know everything. I mean, I'd probably just get depressed if I knew how the world was made and it ended up being some really dire thing. The aliens can keep all their knowhow!
Reply 49
2012 arrival of the aliens? :tongue:
Reply 50
rhys_please
Eee, I dont know wether I'd like to know everything. I mean, I'd probably just get depressed if I knew how the world was made and it ended up being some really dire thing. The aliens can keep all their knowhow!

Really? :p: Oh I disagree there, I'd give anything to know all that sort of stuff.
The big questions are the ones I'd really like to know though.
The meaning of life, etc etc.

Then again, though - The meaning of life is a question that has caused many great things. Maybe I'll just leave that one, so we can keep "growing" answers to it from there. :p:
Other things, hell yeah I'd love to find out! :p:
DH-Biker
Do you mean:

This Alien Race (X) has spent its time investingating space travel and exploration rather then weaponry and warfare - Thus its likely its a peaceful nation as it has a "need" per se to go out and find things?

I like that theory.
However, to flip it, you could say that they are a race that wants to create an Empire, and thus we will be seen as slaves.
Although, that's one of the better theories that I've heard. :smile:

Well not necessarily just space travel etc. but basically yeah. We waste a complete fortune on violence/weapons/military/police etc. - imagine where we would be without all that expense.

That other theory is equally valid I guess - just hope mine will be the right one!

EDIT: My theory relies on them not having a huge head start actually. Even with all our waste on those things, its feasible in a billion years, for example, we will be travelling around in space - maybe even living there.
Reply 52
callum9999
Well not necessarily just space travel etc. but basically yeah. We waste a complete fortune on violence/weapons/military/police etc. - imagine where we would be without all that expense.

That other theory is equally valid I guess - just hope mine will be the right one!

Yeah, areed!
Also, if we stopped this whole frakin' nations-at-each-others-throats thing.
Be easier to get things done without having nukes pointed at each other. Heh! :p:
DH-Biker
Really? :p: Oh I disagree there, I'd give anything to know all that sort of stuff.
The big questions are the ones I'd really like to know though.
The meaning of life, etc etc.

Then again, though - The meaning of life is a question that has caused many great things. Maybe I'll just leave that one, so we can keep "growing" answers to it from there. :p:
Other things, hell yeah I'd love to find out! :p:

Sod knowing it, would you not like to MAKE the meaning of life? :p:
Reply 54
rhys_please
Sod knowing it, would you not like to MAKE the meaning of life? :p:

Hmm, you raise a good point here.
Well if I had to chose my meaning of life, it'd be:

Live each day like its your last, enjoy every ****ing moment of it!

Either that or:

Ride hard, or go home, and I'm a long way from home...

:p:
DH-Biker
Hmm, you raise a good point here.
Well if I had to chose my meaning of life, it'd be:

Live each day like its your last, enjoy every ****ing moment of it!

Either that or:

Ride hard, or go home, and I'm a long way from home...

:p:

and keep on truckin!

man, this is getting deep for 4am...
DH-Biker
Scientists have just found that the night sky in which we see makes up only a tenth of one of the "tendrils" that make up our galaxy. There are 18 of these tendrils spiraling off of our galaxy, which means that there are 179 other tenths in our galaxy alone.
Now, seen as there are predicted to be 330 million planets in our galaxy, and we've found at least another 50 million galaxies, some millions of times larger then our own. So some are likely to have, what, 330 trillion (is that right?) planets in? And this is going barely, what could be compared to an inch on the length of Europe, Asia and America combined, out towards the distance we've found. So basically, if you look at the distance in which we know around our galaxy, and scale that to Asia, America and Europe if they were next to each other, and then took the longest distance from end to end, all the galaxies we know of, are contained within the first inch of that distance.
Yet we know of distance well, well beyond that. (The only way we know that its that distance, is because they saw a Star go Supernova and they calculated (I dont know how the calculation works) the time it took etc etc...)

And people still don't believe that aliens exsist? How can we be, in those teeming trillions of billions of planets, the only life? How could all life just be here and people still say that there is nothing else out there...

Anyway, your thoughts. As that, to me, pretty much ensures me that aliens exsist.

tho i agree, you could've just said "the universe is really big so we can't be the only living thing" saves everybody a lot of reading...
Reply 57
Our current understanding of physics states that it is impossible to reach the speed of light, and the nearest galazy is 2 million light years away. There may be life on other planets, there could even be a star wars like galaxy on the other side of the universe ( :sogood: that would be kewl ) but it would be so far away that we would never be able to come into contact.
I believe aliens exist, just looking at the images of hubble ultra deep field with all those galaxies scattered around makes it seem unlikely that they don't exist.
Also, here's an interesting video I think would add to the discussion. Huge Carl Sagan fan here :}
No they dont.

Latest

Trending

Trending