The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

[rant mode on]

Nope. Eventually the teachers just stopped handing detentions out full stop as they didn't make a blind bit of difference. I've been to probably a handful of 'em in my life - usually due to forgetting equipment or the whole class being given a detention, and I found it a lot more inconvenient than other people there who were used to it. The bad kids didn't care, as staying 30 minutes (probably less) after school was seen as being more than a fair price for being able to do whatever they liked with no immediate consequences.

Also, my school went through this utterly ridiculous (wish there was a stronger word to use but I can't think of one without resorting to profanity) phase where if you were 5 minutes late to class, you were made to stay for that time on Friday after school. Likewise if you were any other amount of minutes late (5-55). The teachers didn't like staying behind for it, the kids hated it, the people who were always late honestly didn't give a crap, people that were late through no fault of their own got caught up in it. They eventually got rid of it after massive complaints and realising that on one particular Friday, half the school had to stay behind and it was becoming stupid.

Also, making us stay behind 5 minutes (just long enough to miss the school bus) didn't require any prior warning to be given and was seriously unfair.

Detentions are not at all effective, but at least they're not as much of a travesty as suspensions which I always thought should be used as a reward for doing well at school. I'd like to know what sort of brain-damaged logic they used with the whole: "Oh, if we let kids that don't want to be in school anyway stay home and play Xbox for a week, they'll return with magically better behaviour instead of craving more time off school by being even worse".

What a crock of ******* ****.

Phew... much better.
Reply 21
I had a few, they were just a laugh if anything
Detention
Detention has helped me, I realise why I am punished, I know I deserve detention, while detained I can reflect on my action and my punishment, I know what I have done is wrong, I know this is to punish me but also it Is to deter me and make me change my actions, I attend detention often, being detained makes me think about my actions, I'm being punished for a reason and detention has helped me realise why I am punished, how this punishment has helped and how I have learnt about my actions and why I am being detained
Original post by DEADSHOT456
Detention
Detention has helped me, I realise why I am punished, I know I deserve detention, while detained I can reflect on my action and my punishment, I know what I have done is wrong, I know this is to punish me but also it Is to deter me and make me change my actions, I attend detention often, being detained makes me think about my actions, I'm being punished for a reason and detention has helped me realise why I am punished, how this punishment has helped and how I have learnt about my actions and why I am being detained

Who brainwashed you?
Original post by Cesare Borgia
It tends to irritate teachers more than students. I always used to get let out early because I'd wind the teacher up (they tended to retain the 'GET OUT!' reflex from lessons).

Oh yes the yelling of got out my class happen to me alot aswell followed up by you can do detention tomorrow night aswell lol

Latest

Trending

Trending