The Student Room Group

Which uni for biochem/ biomed/ nat sci degree :)

Hi! I'm interested in studying biochemistry, biomedical sciences, natural sciences (biological) or neuroscience. I have never lived in the UK but have been looking at some unis on internet (Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, Bristol, Sheffield and Durham). Is there any others I should look at? Which ones of the above have the best student life? I've read that lots of people who don't get into medicine do biomedical sciences but, is this degree good if you want a job on research? Would you recommend to study in London or in a smaller place?
I think those are all my questions for now, thank you! :biggrin:
I do NatSci at Durham (Biology and Chemistry) so can help you :smile:. No idea what the prospects are like - I'm planning to just go with the flow so to speak. Whether you want to study in London is up to you - personally I wouldn't want to as I prefer smaller cities (hence why I'm at Durham :tongue:) but if you want a really bustling student life with LOTS going on then go there if you wish. Durham's fairly quiet but with student bars, couple of nightclubs and societies etc there's always something to do in the evenings.

Other places to look at...Bath? I really liked the campus there when I visited personally, and the NatSci course is good.
Reply 2
I really like London but maybe a smaller place such as Durham would give me more of a uni experience and i would get to know better the people studying there. I will look at bath, thank you... i didn't visit the campus but i visited the city... the campus is a bit far away isn't it?
I really like the look of the natsci degree in durham. do you think it would be possible to do biology, chemistry and a bit of psychology? cause it looks very flexible... also are the labs and the teachers good? and would you mind telling me which as/ a2 grades did you get and whether you did any work experience/ volunteering/ extra curricular activities? thanks and btw which other unis did you apply for?
Thank you!!
ABC.
I really like London but maybe a smaller place such as Durham would give me more of a uni experience and i would get to know better the people studying there. I will look at bath, thank you... i didn't visit the campus but i visited the city... the campus is a bit far away isn't it?
I really like the look of the natsci degree in durham. do you think it would be possible to do biology, chemistry and a bit of psychology? cause it looks very flexible... also are the labs and the teachers good? and would you mind telling me which as/ a2 grades did you get and whether you did any work experience/ volunteering/ extra curricular activities? thanks and btw which other unis did you apply for?
Thank you!!

Yeah, I think it's possible to do bio, chem and some psychology, depending on whether anything clashes in the timetable. The labs and teachers are generally good...especially in the chem department. You do a wide variety of things in the labs, and most of the lecturers are quite good, though there's the odd bad one (but you'd get that anywhere!). I got straight As in my A-levels...Bio Chem and Maths at A2, Economics and Further maths at AS...Durham normally asks for AAA at A-Level, as do most places for NatSci.

Work experience...I did a week in a pathology lab in a local hospital, organised through school, and a week in a chem lab (where I now work in the summer) before I applied. I'm also a Brownie leader and do some volunteering with Barnardos, and I used to dance quite a bit. I also applied to Cambridge, Bath, Leeds and UEA, all for NatSci.
Reply 4
Thank you very much, that was very useful :smile:
Reply 5
ABC.
Hi! I'm interested in studying biochemistry, biomedical sciences, natural sciences (biological) or neuroscience. I have never lived in the UK but have been looking at some unis on internet (Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, Bristol, Sheffield and Durham). Is there any others I should look at? Which ones of the above have the best student life? I've read that lots of people who don't get into medicine do biomedical sciences but, is this degree good if you want a job on research? Would you recommend to study in London or in a smaller place?

I'm studying genetics in Sheffield which is in the same department with biochemistry. You might want to look at Biochemistry/Biology at York and Biomedical Science at Newcastle as well which actually seemed pretty good when I went to see on the Open day.
Sheffield is very good in terms of student life and the centre of it is very good student union. The only thing about the biological sciences of Sheffield is that you either belong to Department of Animal and Plant Science (Biology and Zoology etc.), Department of Biomedical Sciences (Biomedical Sciences only) or Department of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology (Biochemistry, Molecular Biology etc.) and so its not easy if you want a broad degree but if you know what you want to do in terms of the part of biology, then Sheffield may be the place to be.

Feel free to PM me :smile:
ABC.

Hello there, I'm about to start my 2nd year of Biomedical Science at Imperial College London. Well, I found my first year at Imperial bloody amazing to be honest and I can't wait to get back to London for the start of the next academic year. It's true that Biomedical Science is a popular back-up option for medicine but I would say it is a pretty good degree and it will provide you with a really good foundation if you want to go into research etc (like me). Being in a London uni, naturally im going to be biased and say that London is an amazing city to live and study it.
Reply 7
Tibbles168
Hello there, I'm about to start my 2nd year of Biomedical Science at Imperial College London. Well, I found my first year at Imperial bloody amazing to be honest and I can't wait to get back to London for the start of the next academic year. It's true that Biomedical Science is a popular back-up option for medicine but I would say it is a pretty good degree and it will provide you with a really good foundation if you want to go into research etc (like me). Being in a London uni, naturally im going to be biased and say that London is an amazing city to live and study it.

Thanks for your reply :smile:
I went to an Open Day there and i loved it!
I can't decide whether to apply to biomedical sciences or biochemistry. I've been told biochem is more to a molecular level and biomedical sciences is more like the effects or something like that. Could you tell me the main differences?
Also, by living in London do you get a close group of friends or is it more individual?
Thanks!
Reply 8
Have a look at University of Lincoln
Reply 9
I'd say Reading for Biomed, they're high ranked for research in the UK, and the biomed course is accredited by IBMS, which makes it easier to register with the HPC once you've graduated.

It depends what you want to do after your degree, though?

Latest

Trending

Trending