The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

DURHAM NATURAL SCIENCES (JOINT HONOURS) - Is it the same as joint honours degree?

Basically I have all my offers for uni and it is now the time to decide. I have applied for maths and computer science as a joint degree at York and Edinburgh. I'm quite fond of york but I have always favoured Durham more.
The degree I have an offer from Durham is natural science Msci, and I picked computer science and maths for my subjects which they say will be a joint honours degree within the natural science program. However, the only thing holding me off from Durham is the name of the degree (Nat Sci) as I feel it wouldn't look as good to employers as the joint degrees I would have from York or Edinburgh.
Has anyone took a natural Science course similar to mine and can share their experience with their degree, or can someone clarify what my degree would look like to employers whether it would be a degree in natural sciences or a join honours degree in maths and computer science.

Thank :smile:
Original post by Anonymous059500
Basically I have all my offers for uni and it is now the time to decide. I have applied for maths and computer science as a joint degree at York and Edinburgh. I'm quite fond of york but I have always favoured Durham more.
The degree I have an offer from Durham is natural science Msci, and I picked computer science and maths for my subjects which they say will be a joint honours degree within the natural science program. However, the only thing holding me off from Durham is the name of the degree (Nat Sci) as I feel it wouldn't look as good to employers as the joint degrees I would have from York or Edinburgh.
Has anyone took a natural Science course similar to mine and can share their experience with their degree, or can someone clarify what my degree would look like to employers whether it would be a degree in natural sciences or a join honours degree in maths and computer science.

Thank :smile:

Hiya

I am not a natural sciences student but here is what I understand:

With an MSci in Natural Sciences, you can study up to four subjects but you would specialize in one of your subjects in your final year. Whereas in a Joint Honours MSci, you will need to keep on top of both subjects.

From my perspective, I really don't see why this would not be attractive to employers especially since it gives you the option to study 4 subjects (albeit for a different amount of credits), which broadens your scope of prospective careers. However, I think a current Nat Sci student would be better placed to talk about employability. you can talk to them on Unibuddy (https://www.durham.ac.uk/study/student-connect/unibuddy/) or find some current students on LinkedIn.

Hope that helps :smile:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest