The Student Room Group

Title

Can I get accepted into uni/ get a job with computing if I’m doing Nat 5 applications of maths
this is what it says for Glasgow, and it would likely be similar for most Scottish unis:

'Additional requirements: Higher Mathematics (AH recommended) and Computing (if Higher Mathematics A grade is not achieved in S5).'

so it's definitely better if you have computing and maths because I think most of the people you'll be competing with will have it, computing is definitely a great degree to do, great potential job prospects. it's unclear what grade you'd need in maths, my take is that you'd have to at least pass higher maths then do well in higher computing, not sure bout just nat5 maths tho
Reply 2
Sorry if I was unclear here, I’ve just started s4 and have gotten applications of maths instead of just maths, I was wondering if I would maybe need to switch to regular maths for a computing job
Original post by wifibooster
Sorry if I was unclear here, I’ve just started s4 and have gotten applications of maths instead of just maths, I was wondering if I would maybe need to switch to regular maths for a computing job

Hey @wifibooster For Comp Sci subjects at uni I think you'll likely in most cases need a Higher grade in Maths so it would be more about the Higher than the Nat 5. So if your school will let you take Applications of Maths at Nat 5, and *then* progress to Higher Maths in S5 then that would be the best idea and priority. I think most universities will likely ask for Higher Maths, rather than Higher Applications of Maths so be careful to check this when you're picking your S5 subjects. If you know which unis might interest you already then reach out to them to ask.

I can't speak much for jobs, apologies! You could maybe have a look at the Prospects website to see if there's some guidance?

- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending