The Student Room Group

A and A* students... Share your revision tips

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1380
Original post by Jodie_668
I know!! That last 7 mark question, what type of evil person thinks up that!! I actually really surprised myself though and got an A (I swear they've muddled up my marks with some poor kid, haha)!
I think you should do better in the retake, first time round all of the maths is such a shock and you just freak out! :biggrin:

How hard is f324, and f325 compared to AS.

I'm doing F321 and F322 in the summer, how difficult is f322 to get 100% in, and to get ur head around concepts?

Please quote me
variety is the spice of life
i need to do about half of the amount of revision my peers do, and manage to get better grades. i find it quite unfair, but it's their choice to listen to my methods of revision.
1. audio notes. i basically read out of the textbook or revision guide, talk it out loud, record it onto my iPod, listen to it back and read the guide whilst listening. it's just like being in a class as you're getting it both audio and visually at same time.
2. colours and coloured paper. whilst i'm not the most artsy person in the world, it is more memorable to see something in colour than in black/white.
3. videos
4. past papers, some people swear by them, and to be fair in many subjects they're a great idea. i try to save them till i know the syllabus very well however, so i don't waste them
Goodluck!
im not going to lie and say i read all the comments...i got to no. 3 and gave up lol. so im sorry if im repeating what hundreds of others have said!
make notes. i went through my a level books and wrote them out like twice each. the whole book. i know it sounds stupid, but reading a page, then rereading each sentence and making notes of the important stuff helps you to identify the stuff you need from the waffle, reading it so many times helps you remember it, and writing it out makes you think about what you are actually writing/reading about.
also did tonnes of past papers. the key to these is to understand why the answer is right. sounds stupid, but rather understand the question (which is the first step), youve got to understand what the question wants out of you. basically, think like the examiner. i think the best way to do this is by practicing. start from the earliest papers and work your way through, and be clever about it. really analyse the answers and why this is right but this isnt.
also, i found it really useful to give my dad my text book and hed read through it and try to understand it. so by him trying to learn it i could help by teaching him, and we could work through the understanding together. that really fool-proofs your understanding of a topic.
now im in uni all of that is redundant. now i just have t read a tonne lol!
Original post by Vorsah
How hard is f324, and f325 compared to AS.

I'm doing F321 and F322 in the summer, how difficult is f322 to get 100% in, and to get ur head around concepts?

Please quote me

I didn't find F322 to be at all that difficult to understand, the biggest part is just remember all of the reactions and equations but as long as you keep on top of your class notes, that shouldn't be too big a problem. How easy it is to get 100% differs with each exam as they can move the grade boundaries depending on how well candidates do. But as long as you memorise and understand everything on the specification as well as try to read around it too, 100% shouldn't be too out of your reach!
F324 isn't too difficult, it is much like F322 in that there are many equation and molecules to remember. It also extends on analysis methods and this section can be a bit tricky (especially NMR spec) but it becomes a lot easier if you just practise exam questions about it.
I found F325 really hard because there is a lot of maths involved so if you don't do maths as AS or A level (like me) then it probably won't be your cup of tea! Also, the exam paper for F325 is much harder in itself because they tend to put in more weird application questions I found. If you a put a lot of work into this module then you can get a good grade (I got 100% :biggrin:) especially because the grade boundaries for this exam of often pretty low!
Hope this answers your questions! :smile:
During revision, do people mix it up where they finish one module before they go to another or do they do different modules and finish it parallel?

For example..Economics. Do people finish Unit 1 first in revision before start revising for unit 2 or do they do bit of both?
Original post by Kulpio
I got an A*, A* and an A, and dont mean to be arrogant, but i didnt do past papers or read 4 hours a day. I even managed to squeeze in a ridiculous amount of days on cod6. I have mastered revising using revision cards! Like writing key notes from your class notes and text book on the cards, and with some reading of them combined with a good memory, it does the trick.

I know someone else who this works for, but it seems to only work for those with really good memory. He is doing really well too though.

I tried it once and it didn't help at all, but different people react differently, worth a shot I'd say!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by thelion0
Is it possible to get A*A*A in maths, chemistry and biology. 2 months left till my first exam. 10 exams in the summer, 6 being retakes.

Please help, pm me or something! please

I have 11 exams, 7 resits. A friends of mine got A*A*A with 18 exams in summer of a2
Completely stuck - got 9 exams including 2 resits and I need AAAA but I don't know what to do - do people revise every subject each night for 30 mins like I do,or do people revise 1 subject per day? I SERIOUSLY need help!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 1388
Original post by krishkmistry
Completely stuck - got 9 exams including 2 resits and I need AAAA but I don't know what to do - do people revise every subject each night for 30 mins like I do,or do people revise 1 subject per day? I SERIOUSLY need help!

30 mins is too short for each subject. If you have many subjects, split up two per day, or maybe even one. You will get more done.

Original post by MashB
30 mins is too short for each subject. If you have many subjects, split up two per day, or maybe even one. You will get more done.

But Ive only got 5 weeks until the start of exams and I have 3 maths exams,2 bio 2 chem 1 business and 2 general studies - how do I split them up with such a short time to go!?

Thanks a lot for that! Il keep you all posted - I think il start tomorrow :smile:

PAST PAPERS!!! cannot emphasise that enough... if you ever need help with anything, ask your teacher, nag nag nag...its what they're there for
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1392
Just learn concepts watch videos on itetc .. don't actively try and memorize things

Once you know the concepts the definitions etc will start to fall into place with out having to religiously learn them all, this is especially true for science subjects
Reply 1393
But Ive only got 5 weeks until the start of exams and I have 3 maths exams,2 bio 2 chem 1 business and 2 general studies - how do I split them up with such a short time to go!?

i got 8 exams

stay chilled
How many hours would you do during a full day e.g weekend

Reply 1395
How many hours would you do during a full day e.g weekend

ah I'm planning to do 6 in 3 2 hour sessions.I don't know if it will work

Hiya!
I'm doing my GCSE's this summer and I have a few revision tips that are benefitting me.
1. Turn your iPhone/smartphone/laptop off unless they are used for educational purposes and put them somewhere where it's an effort to get. It is easy to get sidetracked by them.
2. Use lots of colour your work! Something that is colourful is more visually appealing to look at than something that's black and white.
3. Have regular breaks to give yourself time to refresh and review what you've just learnt.
4. Make a list of key words, highlighting them in the same colour. Use different colour schemes for every lesson.
5. Make lots of mind maps and revision posters.
The key is distilling information.
6. Don't revise all the time. Cramming your mind is bad. Make sure you allow yourself days off, going for a meal or just chilling out.
Obviously, these tips wont work for everyone, but good luck!
Hello, can anyone who is doing A-Levels tell me how they get familiar with the past papers ? Because I heard that a-levels are more specific.
Original post by NewInspiredWorld
Hiya!
I'm doing my GCSE's this summer and I have a few revision tips that are benefitting me.
1. Turn your iPhone/smartphone/laptop off unless they are used for educational purposes and put them somewhere where it's an effort to get. It is easy to get sidetracked by them.
2. Use lots of colour your work! Something that is colourful is more visually appealing to look at than something that's black and white.
3. Have regular breaks to give yourself time to refresh and review what you've just learnt.
4. Make a list of key words, highlighting them in the same colour. Use different colour schemes for every lesson.
5. Make lots of mind maps and revision posters.
The key is distilling information.
6. Don't revise all the time. Cramming your mind is bad. Make sure you allow yourself days off, going for a meal or just chilling out.
Obviously, these tips wont work for everyone, but good luck!

Ahhh the days of GCSE's :')

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending