The Student Room Group

Perplexed at how facebook has been allowed to decrease users privacy control

So i recently reactivated my account to join uni groups, get back in touch with old friends etc and i discover that the posts i have written on each friend's wall appears in all my friends' news feed for everyone to see! Why is this allowed to happen? I look for the old privacy settings that allows us to control what gets put up in the news feed but, alas, they're gone! Facebook has taken away the user's control!!!
Reply 1
If you want something to be private, then why post it on their wall in the first place?

But in general I agree, I do feel like a stalker seeing friend's wall posts on the newsfeed. Would be nice to have more control what pops up there, but that doesn't mean it's an issue of privacy.
Anything on a friend's wall would be public to friends anyway.

Facebook has ways to get around public things. Everything can be private if you wish it to be; steer clear of walls in that case.
Reply 3
Yep, I hate this too. It bothers me especially because I am a very private person. I don't like it when it shows on other people's news feeds what I've written on someone's wall, in a photo comment or in a group. They even put it on people's news feeds if the person's wall you're posting on is not even on their friends list.

Facebook is really pissing me off.
It's annoying but you know Facebook isn't a right, it's a privately owned internet service that we can choose to use or not use. It's not a phone number or an address.
Reply 5
If it's such a big problem, don't use Facebook.
Ape Gone Insane
It's Facebook and not a social networking website built around privacy. They have done this numerous times through various updates (taking away specific options) and will continue to do so.

To be fair, a Wall is a public place. They are going to see it anyway. If you want to contact your friend without any other friend seeing, private message them.

The picture of the monkey on your profile is so cute :o:. Did you paint it?
Reply 7
Like others have said, posts on friends' walls will be visible to other friends anyway. The Newsfeed just means that people don't have to actively go snooping into your conversation! :p:
If you want a post to be private, change the setting on the little grey padlock at the bottom of each post (before you post it).

Latest

Trending

Trending