The Student Room Group

Safer You (NOT REAL BRAND & NO ADVERTISING, JUST AN ENGLISH ASSIGNMENT!)

Hello everyone,

I hope you're all doing well! I am working on an English assignment inspired by a "Dragons Den" style concept, where I have developed an idea called SaferYou. SaferYou is not associated with any brand or company and will never be an actual product in the market. It is purely a concept created for my assignment, and part of the project requires gathering diverse perspectives and opinions on the idea.

SaferYou aims to address the challenges individuals face when seeking support and healing after experiencing trauma. I would greatly appreciate your anonymous feedback and valuable insights, as it will greatly contribute to the development and presentation of my assignment.

I kindly request your thoughts on the following questions:

In your experience, what do individuals seeking mental health and well-being support truly want and need in this sector? Are there any specific challenges or gaps you have come across?

Considering the concept of SaferYou, do you believe it has the potential to appeal to individuals who have experienced trauma?

What aspects of SaferYou, as an idea for my assignment, resonate with you the most? Is there a particular feature or characteristic that stands out to you?

How likely would you be to recommend an idea like SaferYou, as described above, to someone you know who could benefit from this type of platform?

Have you encountered individuals for whom the concept of SaferYou may not be appealing? If so, I am interested to understand their perspective and reasons for this.

What aspects of SaferYou, as an idea for my assignment, do you think could be improved? Is there anything you find lacking or believe could be enhanced to better meet the needs of its hypothetical users?

In your opinion, how well does the concept of SaferYou address the needs of individuals seeking support after trauma? What specific problems do you think it could potentially help solve?

From your perspective, does the concept of SaferYou offer a unique proposition in this space? If not, what would you say distinguishes it from other hypothetical platforms or resources?

What improvements or additions could be made to the concept of SaferYou to make it more appealing and useful to a broader range of individuals?

What factors do you believe would influence your preference for an idea like SaferYou over other similar concepts or platforms? What sets SaferYou apart in your eyes?

In the context of my assignment, how much value do you think a product or platform like SaferYou could have? Are there any pricing considerations or models that you believe would resonate well with its hypothetical target audience?

Additionally, I would like to understand if SaferYou, as a concept for my assignment, appeals to the parents or caregivers of its hypothetical users. If so, in what ways? If not, what could be done to make it more appealing and beneficial for parents or caregivers?

Lastly, for those who are parents or caregivers, what features or support do you think SaferYou should incorporate to address the needs of children more effectively, considering the hypothetical nature of the idea?

I genuinely value your feedback, and your responses will remain completely anonymous. Your participation will significantly contribute to the completion of my English assignment.

Thank you in advance for taking the time to share your thoughts! Please feel free to respond to this thread or send me a private message if you prefer.

Best regards,
Aleena
This sounds like an okay pitch but you haven't actually given any details to work with. The only description is "Something which addresses challenges individuals face recovering after trauma" great spotting a market opportunity, but how are you doing it? What will it involve? What features? I can't tell you if its features and benefits are unique if I don't have any features and benefits given to me, but by the sound of it you have something in your mind.

I'll answer what I can, not knowing anything about the product.

Wants, needs and opportunities:

Need confidentiality and knowing why, when and if this confidentiality is broken

Need a platform to be listened to not at risk of being 'dropped off' like many people who use childline experience

Need trained professionals if communicating, otherwise needs professionally-approved support

Shouldn't rely on willpower alone or be a do-it-yourself. It should ideally have some kind of support from some other person, but I guess other ideas might work?

Professional non-NHS counselling and therapy is expensive. Yours could be free, or affordable nonprofit.

It should be a tool, not the end-all solution.

Letting people work with entirely their own thoughts and feelings unchecked could make things worse how will you think about this?

Potential appeal:

Not everyone wants to talk to a therapist. A platform might make it easier for people to make sense of themselves first

Apps are available 24/7, even when therapists aren't. Platforms like Calm Harm do a good job in supplementing their work

A platform which supports parents in looking after the welfare of their children could be really helpful. Every parent is human, and few know how to solve everything which comes their way a reliable guide could help them, and be something worth paying for.

Pricing, parents, caregivers

You're going to have a nasty time trying to sell something like that, because if you're not careful you end up profiting from people's suffering.

If someone's at the age where they are cared for by a parent, the parent should have control over their support and will likely work with schools and the NHS to find care recommended by professionals. They are unlikely to turn to an app. Also, you need to consider what kind of trauma people might end up with at that age? What are you thinking of?

Let me know your ideas. I think what you're thinking of has a lot of good things you could bring, just think about how it can bring great things to your audience, and it should be okay!
Reply 2
Thank you so much for this feedback! It will really help me improve my project. :smile:

I have provided the details. What do you think?

App Name: SaferYou

Overview:
SaferYou is a mobile application designed to provide support and resources for individuals who have experienced trauma, abuse, or are in need of mental health support. The app aims to create a safe and anonymous space for users to share their experiences, find solace, and access professional guidance.

Key Features:

Anonymous Support Forum: A dedicated forum within the app where users can connect with others who have gone through similar experiences, share their stories, and offer support and advice to one another. The forum promotes a sense of community and empathy.

Diary and Reflections: A personal diary feature that allows users to document their thoughts, emotions, and progress throughout their healing journey. It serves as a tool for self-reflection and tracking personal growth.

Healing Garden: An interactive feature where users can grow virtual plants as they engage in activities, contribute to the forum, or receive positive feedback from others. The growing garden symbolizes progress, resilience, and serves as a visual representation of healing.

Mindful Activities and Games: A collection of mindful and therapeutic activities/games within the app to help users relax, reduce stress, and engage in self-care practices. These activities are designed to be enjoyable while promoting mental health and emotional well-being.

Professional Support: Access to professional counselors and therapists who are available 24/7 through voice calls or messaging. Users can seek confidential guidance, advice, and counseling support directly within the app.

Parental Involvement: An option for users to invite their parents to have limited access to their account, ensuring their involvement in their child's healing process. Parents can support their child's well-being while respecting their privacy and boundaries.

Self-Defense Tools: SaferYou offers a unique feature where users can opt to receive a self-defense keychain upon signing up. This physical tool promotes personal safety and empowerment.

Resource Library: A comprehensive library of educational materials, articles, and resources related to trauma, healing, self-care, and coping strategies. It provides users with information and guidance to support their healing journey.

Verification Process: SaferYou implements a verification process to ensure the authenticity and safety of its users. Daily verification tasks are required to maintain active participation on the app, fostering a secure and trustworthy community.

Non-Profit and Free: SaferYou is a non-profit initiative, with the app being completely free for users. The goal is to make mental health support and resources accessible to all, regardless of financial constraints.

Original post by squidrangle
This sounds like an okay pitch but you haven't actually given any details to work with. The only description is "Something which addresses challenges individuals face recovering after trauma" great spotting a market opportunity, but how are you doing it? What will it involve? What features? I can't tell you if its features and benefits are unique if I don't have any features and benefits given to me, but by the sound of it you have something in your mind.

Need confidentiality and knowing why, when and if this confidentiality is broken

Need a platform to be listened to not at risk of being 'dropped off' like many people who use childline experience

Need trained professionals if communicating, otherwise needs professionally-approved support

Shouldn't rely on willpower alone or be a do-it-yourself. It should ideally have some kind of support from some other person, but I guess other ideas might work?

Professional non-NHS counselling and therapy is expensive. Yours could be free, or affordable nonprofit.

Letting people work with entirely their own thoughts and feelings unchecked could make things worse how will you think about this?

Potential appeal:

Not everyone wants to talk to a therapist. A platform might make it easier for people to make sense of themselves first

Apps are available 24/7, even when therapists aren't. Platforms like Calm Harm do a good job in supplementing their work

A platform which supports parents in looking after the welfare of their children could be really helpful. Every parent is human, and few know how to solve everything which comes their way a reliable guide could help them, and be something worth paying for.

You're going to have a nasty time trying to sell something like that, because if you're not careful you end up profiting from people's suffering.

If someone's at the age where they are cared for by a parent, the parent should have control over their support and will likely work with schools and the NHS to find care recommended by professionals. They are unlikely to turn to an app. Also, you need to consider what kind of trauma people might end up with at that age? What are you thinking of?

Let me know your ideas. I think what you're thinking of has a lot of good things you could bring, just think about how it can bring great things to your audience, and it should be okay!
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 3

Potential appeal:

Hi, here are the details for my app. What do you think?

App Name: SaferYou

Overview:
SaferYou is a mobile application designed to provide support and resources for individuals who have experienced trauma, abuse, or are in need of mental health support. The app aims to create a safe and anonymous space for users to share their experiences, find solace, and access professional guidance.

Key Features:

Anonymous Support Forum: A dedicated forum within the app where users can connect with others who have gone through similar experiences, share their stories, and offer support and advice to one another. The forum promotes a sense of community and empathy.

Diary and Reflections: A personal diary feature that allows users to document their thoughts, emotions, and progress throughout their healing journey. It serves as a tool for self-reflection and tracking personal growth.

Healing Garden: An interactive feature where users can grow virtual plants as they engage in activities, contribute to the forum, or receive positive feedback from others. The growing garden symbolizes progress, resilience, and serves as a visual representation of healing.

Mindful Activities and Games: A collection of mindful and therapeutic activities/games within the app to help users relax, reduce stress, and engage in self-care practices. These activities are designed to be enjoyable while promoting mental health and emotional well-being.

Professional Support: Access to professional counselors and therapists who are available 24/7 through voice calls or messaging. Users can seek confidential guidance, advice, and counseling support directly within the app.

Parental Involvement: An option for users to invite their parents to have limited access to their account, ensuring their involvement in their child's healing process. Parents can support their child's well-being while respecting their privacy and boundaries.

Self-Defense Tools: SaferYou offers a unique feature where users can opt to receive a self-defense keychain upon signing up. This physical tool promotes personal safety and empowerment.

Resource Library: A comprehensive library of educational materials, articles, and resources related to trauma, healing, self-care, and coping strategies. It provides users with information and guidance to support their healing journey.

Verification Process: SaferYou implements a verification process to ensure the authenticity and safety of its users. Daily verification tasks are required to maintain active participation on the app, fostering a secure and trustworthy community.

Non-Profit and Free: SaferYou is a non-profit initiative, with the app being completely free for users. The goal is to make mental health support and resources accessible to all, regardless of financial constraints.
I love this! This is brilliant, and you've clearly put a lot of thought into it. This has appeal pretty much everywhere. Well done!!

Because it's hypothetical it doesn't really matter, but think about how daily verification tasks would really work at most monthly, daily is a LOT to reverify yourself. Also, anonymousness in forums would probably work best in a TSR style way where everyone is still linked to usernames, but nobody really knows who each other is. It makes it easier to report people and to stay accountable for what you say without putting yourself out for embarrassment.

Good luck this seems great for English. How are you presenting it? PowerPoint/Slides, spoken, poster, essay or writing? If you want help with that, let me know here! In the meantime, I hope it goes well and it will, with the thought you've put into it
Reply 5
It's going to be a spoken pitch, but I and my presentation partner will have a slideshow with some screenshots of what our app will look like. Thank you for the feedback! :smile:

I love this! This is brilliant, and you've clearly put a lot of thought into it. This has appeal pretty much everywhere. Well done!!

Because it's hypothetical it doesn't really matter, but think about how daily verification tasks would really work at most monthly, daily is a LOT to reverify yourself. Also, anonymousness in forums would probably work best in a TSR style way where everyone is still linked to usernames, but nobody really knows who each other is. It makes it easier to report people and to stay accountable for what you say without putting yourself out for embarrassment.

Good luck this seems great for English. How are you presenting it? PowerPoint/Slides, spoken, poster, essay or writing? If you want help with that, let me know here! In the meantime, I hope it goes well and it will, with the thought you've put into it

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending