The Student Room Group
Reply 1
swagge
And all 1001 are priceless

maybe
Reply 2
cool
Surely that goes without saying. Deontologically, if each life has intrinsic value then regardless of how many people are in question, their lives are worth the same.
lol
Reply 5
imzir
If human life has infinite value then...

1 persons life = £∞
1000 people's lives = 1000 x £∞ = £∞

Hence 1 person's life has an equal value to 1000 people's lives.

Discuss.

The ordinary laws of algebra do not apply to ∞. So the argument is not valid.
Reply 6
But each of those 1000 people's lives are worth 1000 people, so all human life is equal.
One could argue that human life doesn't actually have infinite value.
It's easy for us to spend money to save plenty of human lives. But we don't. We'd rather spend our money on a new TV than on food for starving children etc.

Or one might also argue that operations like multiplication are not defined for infinity.
A line of 5cm is shorter than a line of 10cm, even though they are both made up of an infinite number of points.
Reply 8
Haha, I think we all know that one person's life is not of infinite value.
Reply 9
tazarooni89
One could argue that human life doesn't actually have infinite value.
It's easy for us to spend money to save plenty of human lives. But we don't. We'd rather spend our money on a new TV than on food for starving children etc.

Or one might also argue that operations like multiplication are not defined for infinity.
A line of 5cm is shorter than a line of 10cm, even though they are both made up of an infinite number of points.

good point!
Reply 10
StephenP91
Haha, I think we all know that one person's life is not of infinite value.

I don't agree - not even for a murderer.
Reply 11
imzir
I don't agree - not even for a murderer.

Then describe to me what you think life is?

A biological process? If you are religious? Do we have a purpose? Looking at in mathematical terms are we not all possible anomalies in an equation that dictates reality? Or possibly not even anomalies, but just part of a chain of progression to a cause we do not know?

See in order to value life, you need to understand what 'life' is...
Reply 12
If all human life is of infinite value then there are simply far too many people in the world jostling for position for everyone's value to be fully revealed or nurtured. Those with the biggest egos and/or greatest talents will tend to extract more value from their own life and to give a reflected sense of this value to other people.
(edited 13 years ago)
infinite isn't a number.

Inb4 it is.

Latest