The Student Room Group

PhoneShop

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
"I'm your Uncle, who's really your Dad... Your Uncle who comes round when your Dad's out, puts up some shelves, makes sure your Mum's feeling aaaaallriiiiiiiiiiiiii-iiiiiight!"
Original post by + polarity -
I was lmaoing from the advert. I really wanted to watch it but my flatmates didn't find it funny, as I did :frown:

What did you find funny in the advert?!?! :eyeball:
Original post by Doughnuts!!

Original post by Doughnuts!!
What did you find funny in the advert?!?! :eyeball:

A Owl!

He looked like an owl as he said it.
Reply 23
The first episode was actually the least funniest thing I had seen in a while, part from the Dr Dre bit which had been killed in the ads. Second one wasnt bad though!
Reply 24
Original post by + polarity -
A Owl!

He looked like an owl as he said it.

a Owl!
Reply 25
Absolutely hilarious show, a shame a few people haven't really heard of it or given it a chance. Personally not a fan of the store manager, the show could survive without him in it. The woman is a bit annoying at times too.
Reply 26
Original post by vn2009
Its funny :biggrin:

"Man will go raggo" LOL

Plus that short geezer was the manager of the CROYDON phoneshop (croydon is my endzzz lool)

The quotes on these threads make me not want to watch it, they just don't seem funny. I will give it a try though.
Reply 27
Original post by RNBen
, a shame a few people haven't really heard of it or given it a chance. Personally not a fan of the store manager, the show could survive without him in it. The woman is a bit annoying at times too.

Sort of agree with you on all of that, unfortuantely the show will be labelled 'chavvy' (crap) by many before they get to see more to it.
Reply 28
First one wasn't funny at all... last episode was very funny. I'll definitley be giving it a watch next week. I hope we see more of the green TT man :p:
This is just a TERRIBLE comedy - I thought I'd buy into the advertising hyperbole, but this is just your generic 'lets use stereotypical slang to an endless degree to get cheap laughs'.

Take the last episode shown (which is supposedly supposed to be the funniest wtf?), and it bought at most 1 or two smirks but nothing more - if this is indeed "comedy gold", than I fear for the decline in British comedy (American comedies be it 30 Rock, Philly, Parks and Rec, Community etc already are much better), but I guess I have to tie my British hopes (yet again) into The Thick of It, which genuinely is British comedy gold...
Reply 30
Original post by manchild007
This is just a TERRIBLE comedy - I thought I'd buy into the advertising hyperbole, but this is just your generic 'lets use stereotypical slang to an endless degree to get cheap laughs'.

Take the last episode shown (which is supposedly supposed to be the funniest wtf?), and it bought at most 1 or two smirks but nothing more - if this is indeed "comedy gold", than I fear for the decline in British comedy (American comedies be it 30 Rock, Philly, Parks and Rec, Community etc already are much better), but I guess I have to tie my British hopes (yet again) into The Thick of It, which genuinely is British comedy gold...

Are these really good? Havent heard any of them, but might check them out, on your recommendation :smile:

is philly....always sunny in phildephia btw?
Original post by vn2009
Are these really good? Havent heard any of them, but might check them out, on your recommendation :smile:

is philly....always sunny in phildephia btw?

They honestly are - is surprises me how the likes of PhoneShop could even compare, as its not even in the same league.

Community is absolutely wonderful in its parodies, you'll love it and Parks and Rec is amazing too (Amy Polher and Aziz Ansari are legendary in it). Philly is indeed Always Sunny in Philadelphia and apart from the latest season (Season 6), is perhaps one of the funniest comedies on US/UK TV.

Definitely check out an episode or two and let me know what you think as I'd be happy to recommend others for you :smile:
Reply 32
They honestly are - is surprises me how the likes of PhoneShop could even compare, as its not even in the same league.

Community is absolutely wonderful in its parodies, you'll love it and Parks and Rec is amazing too (Amy Polher and Aziz Ansari are legendary in it). Philly is indeed Always Sunny in Philadelphia and apart from the latest season (Season 6), is perhaps one of the funniest comedies on US/UK TV.

Definitely check out an episode or two and let me know what you think as I'd be happy to recommend others for you :smile:

Cheers dude. Will let you know!

Philly is good, seen all the series up to the latest one. Really funny :biggrin:

I think they shown some of the new series of philly in ameica, you seen any episodes of it?
Reply 33
I watched one episode last week, i'd give it 5/10, some of it was funny, bits of it were boring.

What was funny was going to phones 4 u the next day :rofl:
Reply 34

Perhaps irony is something you don't find funny?

One of the funniest parts of the last episode was the part where Numan showed his drawing to the Boss, and after a short sequence he says "Reading between the lines, I think you did mean to write that."

The slang parts are funny, but by no means are they the summit of the comedy mountain that is PhoneShop. 30 Rock I like too, but it's had time to establish itself, you're judging PhoneShop after 3 episodes, and let's not forget, the budget for it is much less than 30 Rock.
Original post by Mann18
…..

A number of HUGE inaccuracies in this;

1. I'm a fan or irony (as you should be quite clearly be able to see given the other comedy shows I watch), but PhoneShop is NOWHERE near genuinely funny - yes it had one or two smirk moments (the scene you mentioned above being one and the dancing trying to get a piece of paper of the wall being another), but the rest was mediocre at best and trite in actual fact :rolleyes:

2. No I didn't give 30 Rock time to settle, I watched it from the get-go on US TV and judged it so. It was funny in the offset, so my point stands.
Original post by vn2009
Cheers dude. Will let you know!

Philly is good, seen all the series up to the latest one. Really funny :biggrin:

I think they shown some of the new series of philly in ameica, you seen any episodes of it?

Yep, thats the one I'm on about (Season 6) - none of the 3/4 episodes which have aired thus far have been funny (well as funny as the past seasons anyways) in my view, so I'm hoping it gets better.

The best comedy shows this season have been The League (another show on FX alongside Philly), South Park in the 3 episodes its shown (the Jersey Shore one was perhaps the funniest piece of television I've seen in a LONG while period), and the usuals of Community, 30 Rock and The Office.

Outsourced is terrible, and Parks and Rec should be awesome when it returns in January 2011.
Reply 37
A number of HUGE inaccuracies in this;

1. I'm a fan or irony (as you should be quite clearly be able to see given the other comedy shows I watch), but PhoneShop is NOWHERE near genuinely funny - yes it had one or two smirk moments (the scene you mentioned above being one and the dancing trying to get a piece of paper of the wall being another), but the rest was mediocre at best and trite in actual fact :rolleyes:

2. No I didn't give 30 Rock time to settle, I watched it from the get-go on US TV and judged it so. It was funny in the offset, so my point stands.

1. 30 Rock doesn't have a huge amount of irony in it. Most of that which it does is driven through Jack, and seeing as he's played by Alec Baldwin, who is awesome, it's easier to enjoy. And to say 30 Rock doesn't have any slang driven jokes is a little bit of a fallacy, Tracy's role is hilarious, and he often utilizses slang.

2. Ah, then I concede this. I'd also say tha perhaps you should give PhoneShop a little time to settle though, I find it quite funny immediately, but perhaps you might find it funny once it's more established and doesn't have to go quite so far for humour.

3. None of what I've said was meant as hostile. I re-read my first post and thought perhaps that came across, so I apologise if you thought I was being that way. Incidentally, seeing as you're a fan of US comedy, ever seen Arrested Development?
Totally agree....

"High Five!!!XD

"...............*snap*

"My Five, Wot???"
I like it cos it's filmed near where i live lol

Quick Reply

Latest