The Student Room Group

Why does the average person go to uni these days?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gwasgray
How do you know you couldn't do this sort of thing (whatever you mean in particular) if you weren't a student? :biggrin: Is it because you have more free time? Or we talking about a certain "salad days" kind of feeling?

Because if I wasn't a student I'd not have a student flat to return home to at nights (mornings, rather).
i just want to go to meet more people, hopefully who are on a more similar wavelength :rolleyes:
that, and to be able to party etc. without my parents being nearby :woo:
Reply 62
Original post by Smack
Because if I wasn't a student I'd not have a student flat to return home to at nights (mornings, rather).

:confused: How's that really different from sharing a flat with other young people and not being a student?
:confused: How's that really different from sharing a flat with other young people and not being a student?

Because I wouldn't have shared a flat with other young people if I wasn't a student.
Reply 64
Original post by Smack
Because I wouldn't have shared a flat with other young people if I wasn't a student.

Yes, you can do that when you're not a student. Maybe it's just that that it's harder to do (for money reasons) when you're only 18/19.
I agree with everyone saying that sixth forms push you into it. Mine really did, even though I wasn't sure what career I wanted at the time.

I went anyway, (to study Spanish at Birmingham) and ended up dropping out at the end of first year. I was so unhappy looking back, I really hated my course.

But I went because like others have said, it was a stop gap and I didn't know what else to do with myself.

I ended up working full time for a year and re-applied to study something completely different, with a focus on what I want to do career-wise now.

I think if you have a passion for the subject and genuinely enjoy your course then there's nothing wrong with going. Just don't spend the whole three years dossing because it will probably hit you in the face when you graduate... I'm going to work my backside off :smile:
Yes, you can do that when you're not a student. Maybe it's just that that it's harder to do (for money reasons) when you're only 18/19.

You can't share a flat with other young people if there are no flats in your town.

Plus, you're forgetting the whole student residence aspect.
Reply 67
Original post by Smack
You can't share a flat with other young people if there are no flats in your town.

Plus, you're forgetting the whole student residence aspect.

How many towns don't have flats in them? :lol: Did you grow up in a village in the Scottish highlands?

And secondly, do you mean the old "Young Ones" living in a squalid mess student cliche? :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 68
I went to university to put off the time I'll have to get a job.

Also I lived in a small village where there was no real prospect of getting anything out of life. I saw uni as a chance to get away from that.

Other reasons, I guess, would be because my friends were at uni. And I did quite well at college so was kind of chauffeured into going to uni by my tutor and parents.

Oh and I am doing Engineering.
How many towns don't have flats in them?

Mine.

:lol: Did you grow up in a village in the Scottish highlands?

No.

And secondly, do you mean the old "Young Ones" living in a squalid mess student cliche? :biggrin:

I might be.
(edited 13 years ago)
It isn't the norm for people to go to university atall, honestly you guys are sooo middle class
Reply 71
I've noticed that most of my non-academic friends who have gone to uni will update their fb complaining about how boring their lecturer is or how **** their course is or whatever. Why even spend 3000 wonga a year to do something that you have no interest in?
Original post by alexs2602
Bill Gates went to Harvard, you ****tard!

Not sure if someone already said so, but he did'nt actually finish it, and I think that's what OP meant .
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Xx.MissEG.xX
Not sure if someone already said so, but he did'nt actually finish it, and I think that's what OP meant .

They did but even then it's not a logical example. The title was "Why does the average person go to uni these days?" then he mentions someone who went to one of the best universities in the world so even if they didnt get a degree it doesnt necessarily mean they dropped out because they couldnt handle the work or they didnt benefit from uni education. Plus he used an extreme example; as Gates did go to Harvard which represents less than 1% of those who go to uni and therefore isn't representative of the whole population

Are uni prospectuses too much like a holiday camp brochures nowadays?

I love this bit, and I don't actually think you're too far off the mark with it even though you might have meant it as a bit of a joke when you typed it.
Original post by alexs2602
They did but even then it's not a logical example. The title was "Why does the average person go to uni these days?" then he mentions someone who went to one of the best universities in the world so even if they didnt get a degree it doesnt necessarily mean they dropped out because they couldnt handle the work or they didnt benefit from uni education. Plus he used an extreme example; as Gates did go to Harvard which represents less than 1% of those who go to uni and therefore isn't representative of the whole population

Yeah, I know it's not logical because he did actually attend that uni, he just didn't finish it. I know the example was bad but I was just saying why it does kinda make sense. Yeah, I think he was just trying to make the point that you don't need a degree to have a respected job or something...
Does anyone know that Bill Gates didn't actually finish his degree?
Original post by sr90
There are so many people at my Sixth Form who are only applying because they want to move out(Colchester is a ****hole), because there aren't many alternatives, or because the jobs market is horrible and they want to 'delay life' for three years. I don't agree with people who do this, but its their life.

My Sixth Form brainwashes you right from your first day that Uni is the only option. Anyone who isn't applying through UCAS is ignored until January. Someone in my class last year wanted to join the RAF and i remember my teacher saying ''If you aren't going to Uni what will you do then, dole queue?''. Sums it up really.

Colchester Sixth Form College by any chance ?
Because nowadays a university is not viewed as an educational institute for those wanting to progress in an academic field, but rather a party house for those wanting to have the 'experience' alongside their peers. It's got to a stage where not going to university is against the trend for teenagers, like it's become a social obligation or something. The fact that there are 'universities' who cater the needs for such people in exchange for vast amounts of money does not help.

Oh well, I guess it helps the genuine students come out looking even better when there are so many inadequate failures around. What's winning without the losers eh?
Reply 79
Original post by Panda Vinnie
Oh well, I guess it helps the genuine students come out looking even better when there are so many inadequate failures around. What's winning without the losers eh?

Well, no, doesn't it just mean they can get lumped in with the masses of people who also get degrees? Unless they go to Oxbridge or somewhere?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending