The Student Room Group

Student life

where in uk has the best, low-cost but classy student life
Original post by hanyahashem

I dont think there is anything like low-cost but classy student life.

If you want a vibrant student life, you can go for the city unis in London, Newcastle, Oxford, Leeds, Southampton, Manchester etc. If you want a campus life, you can look to places like Surrey Uni.

If you are keen on social life, i would recommend the following unis: Southampton, Surrey, Manchester, York and Newcastle.
Hi there , in terms of low cost . Try Leicester it is one of the most affordable cities in the UK for students. I moved here from London a year ago because the city is multi cultural , vibrant and has so much to do beyond just going out . In terms of classy that would depend on what you mean by classy . I would advise you to maybe take the bus or the train and spend a day in the city , you will see in person how vibrant and welcoming the city is.
Cece
Energy Engineering
DeMontfort University

Hi @hanyahashem,

There have been some good suggestions here already.

It really depends what you mean by low-cost but classy. You'll have to consider your lifestyle, budget and spending habits, your accommodation and food, and what you'd like to get involved with at university. It would be good for you to undertake your own research based on what you mean by this and the factors you personally need to consider.

The cost of living in Chester is fairly affordable, but there are definitely more affordable options. Chester has a rich history, is vibrant, and is an absolutely beautiful place - it is popular for these reasons and many more! It's a smaller university as the campuses are spread out, but still has some great options for a busy social life if this is what you are looking for.

As it's already been suggested - try visiting university campuses and cities you are interested in, as this will give you a better feel for what it would be like.

I hope this helps,
Isabella
Reply 4
Liverpool or Bournemouth? Avoid London!

Hey there @hanyahashem !

I can only comment on Sheffield to be honest as it's the only place I've lived for university. The accommodation in Sheffield is some of the cheapest I've seen. First-year accommodations usually average at around £110-£120 a week including bills which is definitely a positive. I personally love Hallam's city campus because the buildings are very modern and there's shops dotted around which makes it a great place to go and spend the day. Although it's not exactly the campus-vibe you'd get from other universities, there's always university students hanging around and it's got a campus-feel to it.

I personally like the nightlife as there's lots of events companies in the city that offer great student nights throughout the week. They have great deals on drinks, even some nights having doubles for £2.50. They also do good deals on shots and tickets are relatively cheap (average £4-£6). I've not struggled to meet anyone through social occasions. I'd say overall it's been way less of a cost than it would be at other universities. I was initially looking at a university in Leeds and accommodation was looking a lot more like £145 a week rather than what I've had to pay at Hallam.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Hi there @hanyahashem,

Great question and it's nice to see you are thinking about going to University. I can only speak for UCLan, but our main campus is located right in the heart of Preston city centre. This is in North West of England where usually things are much cheaper than down south. The Times has ranked UCLan as the most affordable University out of the top 50 largest universities in the UK based on:

Rent

Bus fare

Gym membership

Cost of a takeaway and a pint of beer

Students here have access to affordable accomodation with the average weekly student rent cost in Preston being only £83. Students who fancy treating themselves to a takeaway don't have to worry about breaking the budget as Preston has some of the cheapest in the country. The average cost of a pint is actually £2.50 cheaper than the most expensive universities and students also get access to a free membership at the Sir Tom Finney Sports Centre.

Getting around campus and into the city couldn’t be easier and costs nothing. The main railway station is only a 10-minute walk from our campus offering easy access other nearby cities like Manchester and Liverpool. This makes it super easy and cheap to travel and as a student you will get access to discounted tickets.

Whatever you enjoy, there's a great balance of city life with access to independent shops, cafes, bars, alongside places to relax and unwind with varies parks nearby.

If you are interested in finding out more about the city and life here as a student why not come for a visit.

Do let me know if you have any questions and I'd be happy to help.

All the best,
Sarah

Hi there,

Personally I love Newcastle and Sunderland. They are super cheap places to live and they have really good student lives. There are lots of universities in the north east so there are many students around.

I hope this helps,

Ellen
Med Student
Uni of Sunderland
Digital Ambassador
Hi,

I thought I would chime in. Lancaster is a great option for low cost (prices of accommodation between £90 and 200/pw) and the campus is stunning! The nightlife is pretty decent too; there's a selection of clubs and bars and many are very affordable. If you wanted a different scene, Lancaster is only around 30 minutes away from the Lake District, I'd argue that's pretty classy.

Hope this helps,

Tyler (LU Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending