The Student Room Group

BA (Hons) Lady Gaga Studies

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ammelia
And you'd have thought that these days they would be getting rid of Mickey Mouse degrees. You need a degree for something that's continually reported in tabloids? People should save themselves some money and buy a magazine!

I couldnt agree more
Admittedly, it could provide the grounds for some interesting research on how an ugly, talentless bimbo has managed to allure such a huge hoard of dimwitted sheep and delude them into thinking she has talent and credibility.

Third year dissertation should be to empirically prove whether she has a penis or not.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Sushidelight
My one chance, to write such a title and you...you... just had to ruin it. :colonhash:

:biggrin:
Reply 23
omg u have to be joking!?
I read this the other day on a different site, and thought it was a class, rather than an entire degree.
The degree is Sociology. This is just one course within that degree. Misleading thread title.

Anyway, I don't see a problem. It's a social phenomenon, for people studying Sociology.
Reply 27
I would study Katy Perry
Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo

You just got replaced :redface:
Reply 29
BA (hons) Beyonce Knowles and the creation of beauty - now THAT would be my course <3
Um, ok so it's a course. I can see why sociologists would study fame... but why Lady Gaga? Why hadn't this course come out ages ago when Elvis was about or Michael Jackson (or any other famous person)... what an attention whoring university.
Reply 31
Is she really that influential? I mean you have MJ and Madonna, or even beyonce, who all have been in the industry more than a decade... I'm pretty sure if she died not a lot of people would cry for her like they would/did for the names I mentioned before.
Original post by sango
To be fair I can imagine it being quite complex. I mean the formulas are like:

(RAH)2(AH)3+[ROMA(1+MA)]+(GA)2(OH)(LA)2(RAH)^2 (AH)^3+[ROMA(1+MA)]+(GA)^2 (OH)(LA)^2

:lolwut: The mind does indeed boggle...

That is actually hilarious. You have brightened my already shining day :biggrin:!
Reply 33
Hmmm.. This has mickey mouse subject written all over it!
Original post by PurpleMonkeyDishwasher
Well that's tragic.

Sure some would pay for that kind of thing though.

Hahaha, thanks for quoting me there :lol:

Yeah, misleading title, OP :colonhash:. Would be stupid for a whole degree, but not too bad for just a small course. I know I'm just repeating what others have said already here, but whether you like it or not, she is a pretty influential iconic person of our time, in more ways than one. And this is the 21st century after all, so why not start to study other people other than Shakespeare, Hitler, Plato, etc?

And yes, I probably could get a first on this too :ninjagirl:
Original post by ussumane
Is she really that influential? I mean you have MJ and Madonna, or even beyonce, who all have been in the industry more than a decade... I'm pretty sure if she died not a lot of people would cry for her like they would/did for the names I mentioned before.

IIRC, GaGa has more Facebook fans than any of them, if that means anything :p:

But yes, depending on what you're interested in and what you pay attention to, she is very influential. There's currently a movement of makeup artists on Youtube, and out of all the celebrities makeup looks that are recreated and/or inspiring, GaGa seems to be the most done by far by them. There was also the thing where lots of girls were copying her Poker Face hair bow, and I thought that was cute. On DeviantArt, there are lots of Lady GaGa groups, where artists are uploading hundreds and hundreds of GaGa inspired work, from drawings to paintings to poems, new ones appearing something like everyday. Not to mention GaGa doing all her philanthropic work for AIDS and the LGBT community.

Also, the whole "freak" thing she has going on, although a bit over the top and attention-seeking at times, she does seem to be doing it to express her true self, and also make her fans feel better about being themselves, no matter how "freaky" it may be, or what other people may say. And I'm sure many of us, being young people, have felt like some sort of freak at one point, me included. I know that all sounds a little cheesy, lol, but that's kinda how I read it, and I've also read her mentioning it herself a number of times.

Those are just a few examples of what I've personally noticed over these past two years that she's been famous. Of course, Michael Jackson, Beyonce and Madonna are all also very influential in their own different ways. I suppose GaGa is just the "in" thing right now. I am fan of all 4 of these stars, so no bias BTW :p:. For many people, she is very relevant and influential to them. But for others, she's isn't really. Like I said, it just depends what you're interested in, in the same way that not everybody is that interested in Winston Churchill or Marilyn Monroe, etc.

Sorry for the mini essay, haha, I just had quite a lot to say.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending