The Student Room Group

Trinity Saint Davids

Had an offer recently from TSD.. Is there anyone on here who is at TSD and could give me some insider information on the uni such as student life from your perspective and generally what the university is like.
Thankss :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It depends what campus you're on, Lampeter and Carmarthen have only just been merged so there is quite a difference in environment and social life between the two,

I'm a student a Lampeter so will be able to help with any questions about that campus if needed.
Reply 2
Yeah, Camarthen campus is the one i've applied for
All I know is Carmarthen is quite Welsh..
Reply 4
Carmarthen is a lovely town. St Davids is an old building Uni, but very intimate and well reputed. It's part of Swansea Uni which is 40 miles or so away. There is a new shopping centre etc in Carmarthen, great location if you like the great outdoors :wink:

Have a search online for more info and I'm sure you'll be pleased.
Reply 5
I've also applies for TSD.. not sure which accomodation to stay at though - Myrddin or Twr? Any reccomendations?
Reply 6
I'm already at trinity (currently second year!) don't speak welsh! (it really isnt that welshy! obviously some Welsh with it being in Wales but it doesn't affect me really lol :tongue: So social life is brilliant! Wednesday night is the main night out! this year we have teaed with Flirt so we have themed nights out! check out "?irt - University of Wales, Trinity Saint David Students' Union" for pics of our nights out! :biggrin: union is open every night for drinks etc! upstairs there is a bar, pool tables, balcony and comfy sofas! downstairs theres a bar and dance floor + seats! :biggrin: Downstairs is open Fridays as wel and some Saturdays :biggrin: If you have any questions just ask :smile:
i really want to go to trinity st davids, but i sent my ucas off in nov, then they sent me a letter saying they have recieved my appilcation, but i still havnt heard anything! how worried should i be? i have 40 ucas points over what they are asking?!
help?!
Reply 8
I'm a 1st year student at the Lampeter part of TSD. Lovely town, nice quaint surroundings, big commumity feel and for my subject at least (Archaeology) wonderful lecturers.

On the downside however, cuts are biting hard, we have an idiot of a vice chancellor whose got this great idea of building a £5 million lake on the hockey pitch.

The merger with Trinity really isn't great either, the two centres don't like each other, 3 weeks ago we had presidential elections, the lampeter candidate won a narrow fight, and the people in carmarthen immedietly filed a vote of no confidence.... unbelievable dirty tricks.

I do love the friends I've made, the feel of Lampeter and the overall friendliness. But I'm bailing out and switching to Cardiff.

BTW to the person above... I'm sure if you meet the requirements you will be accepted. It's very much a clearing university I would imagine it inconceivable they'll reject you.
Reply 9
Paintednails - You should be ok but just incase conact ucas or contact trinity there normally quite good at replying to students! trinity is realy good havnt been to lampeter personally but those i know who have all like it! :smile:
Reply 10
I used to go to the Lampeter campus, and bailed just as the merger began. The university was in chaos, no-one knew what was happening or what paperwork to send where. It was stupid. Quite a few people bailed at the same time... and as moorw003 said the vice chancellor is an idiot.

I grew up in Wales and have lived in both Lampeter and Carmarthen, still have good friends there. If you want a more active social life then Carms would be your best bet as there are more places to go, and train links to Swansea and Cardiff. Both Carms and Lampy have good bus links with Aberystwyth, but it takes aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaages.
Reply 11
I am currently finishing my first year at Lampeter doing Religious Studies.
I am not going back for my second year; mainly because I am bored & fed up of the admin.
I have friends at Carmarthen though and they seem a lot happier at that campus, I have also visited the campus there and, in my opinion, it seems to be better funded than Lampeter. Also, if its important to you, night life isn't brilliant - but there is a bus which goes from Aberystywth through Lampeter and Carmarthen to Swansea and Cardiff.
Reply 12
Could anyone give me any insight into the Anthropology course :smile:?
Reply 13
Is TSD really that bad? Im applying for Philosophy and Religious Studies as it looks like a nice uni (surroundings, old architecture etc.), and I've heard that they are good for RS. How would a future employer view a candidate from TSD?
Original post by Andrew Coe
Is TSD really that bad? Im applying for Philosophy and Religious Studies as it looks like a nice uni (surroundings, old architecture etc.), and I've heard that they are good for RS. How would a future employer view a candidate from TSD?

The place is changing so fast it's difficult to say, and it also depends on where one is intending to work. Are you looking for a specific career after graduation?
Reply 15
is there a year abroad option at all?
I graduated now, but when I was in there was opportunity to go to the US for a year (Brown University, I think? Don't quote me though, second yr was a while ago now.) and folks doing Chinese can get a year studying in China.
Reply 17
Original post by Invictus_88
I graduated now, but when I was in there was opportunity to go to the US for a year (Brown University, I think? Don't quote me though, second yr was a while ago now.) and folks doing Chinese can get a year studying in China.

What did you do? :smile:
I'm applying for Anthropology, i'd love it if US was an option. :biggrin:
I was with the Department of Philosophy, though the faculties have been switched around since then.
I've applied for the BA in archaeology/anthropology course. I hope my foundation degree in museum studies and previous archaeology studies will get me somewhere. I'm not too bothered with night life and I like the countryside which is why Lampeter would suit me wonderfully :smile:

I hope I'll hear from them soon enough

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending