The Student Room Group

Trinity Saint Davids

Scroll to see replies

I'm thinking of applying to Lampeter for Classics or Ancient civiliations, but I don't understand what they mean for entry requirements: "You will be invited to visit the University to discuss the course. Entry is based on individual merit."
Can anyone tell me what this means please?
Original post by Rebeccasm14
I'm thinking of applying to Lampeter for Classics or Ancient civiliations, but I don't understand what they mean for entry requirements: "You will be invited to visit the University to discuss the course. Entry is based on individual merit."

As with Oxbridge colleges, I suppose, it means that they like to know a bit more about the person they're accepting. Definitely go if you can, it's always worth visiting a place before deciding whether or not it's for you.
Reply 22
Original post by Rebeccasm14

It's definitely worth going for the interview. 'Personal Merit' interviews here at TSD mean that the lecturers get to meet you and explain the course and help ensure it's the course that you definately want to do. They also get to 'size you up' and see if you're what they are looking for. I study Classics and the lecturers are really amazing people, all they want from a student is passion for the subject, and the ability to turn that passion into decent exam grades.
I'm currently having the worst experience in Lampeter at the moment here. The area is nice and so are the locals but the University itself is a complete mess.

I'm doing single honour history but I still haven't been given a tutor which I've been bugging them about since October, still stuck in their 'temporary' catered accommodation to which the food tastes like utter crap, they've lost some of my coursework and they won't let me re-submit it so I've definitely got the possibility of failing this year which would mean I'd have to repeat the entire year again so I've just applied for an entirely new course else where :smile: and I don't seem to be the only person in this situation at this university.

Hopefully if you do go here they might have everything sorted out if you did decide to come here but I wouldn't be so sure about that I'm afraid :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 24
I'm currently in my first year at the Carmarthen Campus taking Religious Studies, and the lecturers split their time between both Carmarthen and Lampeter. I haven't a bad word to say about the lecturers themselves- they are all fantastic, interesting people who know every student by name and really seem to care about you and your studies.
There is a lack of choice regarding modules for this year, and during merger chaos sometimes it seems like they're disorganised, but, things do get sorted, and there's more of a choice regarding modules for next year. I love it here, my course is good, it's a very scenic area, and if you're planning to study in lampeter you'll have the benefit of a larger library and better resources (including a big religious experience centre, i've forgotten the name but hear great things about it)
All in all, I love my course here, and would recommend it. Be cautious though of the apparent lack of organisation plaguing the university at the moment- we're merging with swansea met too now, so things aren't going to get much better any quicker. I haven't had too much of a problem with it though!
Reply 25
I've just finished my first year at the Lampeter Campus, I'm studying Anthropolgy and Religious Studies. I really love it here.

The campus itself is a bit like marmite at first. But for the majority of people it grows on you. The night life isn't the best in the world, but it has it's moments. There's societies for everyones tastes. And the people I've met here are some of the greatest people ever.

Uni accommodation isn't anything to write home about, but it's cheap, warm and dry; all you really need. The housing is really good if you want out of halls for your second year.

As for my modules are the course itself. It's really interesting. Alot of the modules cross-over, which seems a bit weird at first, but they're worth studying as it broadens your knowledge for your other subject (I especially found this for anhtropology). Also, you will always know a handful of people doing the same thing as you so peer support and help is amazing which I thanks the samll uni size for that.

There are opportunities to study abroad, as well as some modules being abroad (I've not considered them as I wouldnt be able to afford it). Alot of the subjects have trips and fieldwork, so you get to see alot of Wales.

My main problem with this uni, well town is the phone signal. Do not go with O2 if you decide to study here!!

Hope my little input helped some of you thinking about coming here. (Doesn't even matter if you don't reach the required ucas points, they WILL let you in regardless).
Reply 26
The plus side is if you knuckle down hard and work you can get a move practically anywhere doing your course for the 2nd year, got an offer from Durham to move there for Archaeology just by doing my work properly in the first year.

If you WANT to come here, then erm...they couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery, absolutely hopelessly useless and you'll sit around a lot of the time doing **** all as there's sweet fa to do here.

Can't WAIT to move.
Reply 27
HI ALL. just been offered a place on ancient civilisations for this september. im from birmingham and am a "mature" student. the course is spot on as it has a fair bit of egyptology in it which i want to study at uni level. anyway the reason im posting here is to ask a question. lampeter is from what i can see a lovely little place. coming from birmingham ive been in large cities all my life. do you think it could work out that on a saturday morning i could bus it into swansea which takes about an hour via carmarthen ,spend the day there, hit one of the larger clubs on sat nite and then bus it back to lampeter on the sunday?the idea i had was to do this weekly by booking into a b an b or a dirt cheap hotel like the etap in swansea for 20/nite. this would give me the chance to do my work during the week and change my surroundings at the weekend ie mixing it up a bit. many thanks mohab
That's entirely possible, not tried it personally but provided you can find a cheap hotel there shouldn't be a problem. However the bus to swansea is not an hour, it's over an hour to carmarthen as it is and watch out for the buses on a sunday, they can be rather few and far between
Original post by mohab1
HI ALL. just been offered a place on ancient civilisations for this september. im from birmingham and am a "mature" student. the course is spot on as it has a fair bit of egyptology in it which i want to study at uni level. anyway the reason im posting here is to ask a question. lampeter is from what i can see a lovely little place. coming from birmingham ive been in large cities all my life. do you think it could work out that on a saturday morning i could bus it into swansea which takes about an hour via carmarthen ,spend the day there, hit one of the larger clubs on sat nite and then bus it back to lampeter on the sunday?the idea i had was to do this weekly by booking into a b an b or a dirt cheap hotel like the etap in swansea for 20/nite. this would give me the chance to do my work during the week and change my surroundings at the weekend ie mixing it up a bit. many thanks mohab

As far as the buses go there is only 2 on a Sunday running through Lampeter, one at something like 9am and 4/5pm. A lot of people I knew in Lampeter would just stay in Swansea or Cardiff for an entire week during reading week to make up for the lack of night life we experienced within Lampeter and the surrounding areas.

Be warned the 40 bus from Carmarthen/ Aberystwyth to Lampeter takes about an hour to an hour and a half depending on how fast the driver is going and the bus prices are extremely expensive they were up to £3.50 for a single or £6.50 for a return back in may but they may be higher so be careful to consider your expenses. I know you're not asking about cab fares but it is between £60-£70 from Carmarthen to Lampeter if you wanted to try a night out in Carmarthen.

It is possible to mix it up but you're going to need a hell of a lot of money backing you up as your student loan won't cover you for this, Wales is getting pricey :frown:

P.s. make sure you brig re-useable bags as they charge 5p per bag out there, it doesn't sound a lot right now but it'll hit you if you do it every time you go out to shop like my friend who ended up starving himself within the last 2/3 week of every term
Original post by mohab1

Hi, I'm also from Birmingham but about to go into my third year at Lampeter. I have found that there are often people organising nights out in Swansea/Carmarthen/Aberystwyth especially if you're part of a society. There's also quite a few people with cars who travel around that area a lot, many of whom would be happy to give lifts. It's true that the buses on Sundays are terrible, but the university offers it's own bus service to Aberystwyth one day a week & I believe the SU have plans to increase this possibly including Carmarthen as well. I've found on nights out to Aber, that as long as you're with a few people who are willing to split a taxi together, it's not an overly expensive night out. Though you will have to go further afield to places like Swansea to find clubs at the same standard as those in Birmingham.
Reply 31
Original post by RossWS
It depends what campus you're on, Lampeter and Carmarthen have only just been merged so there is quite a difference in environment and social life between the two,

I'm a student a Lampeter so will be able to help with any questions about that campus if needed.

hi , just wandering what the network signal for mobile phones is like, in harris hall and arond the campus, im on vodafone
Reply 32
Original post by bethan91
I've just finished my first year at the Lampeter Campus, I'm studying Anthropolgy and Religious Studies. I really love it here.

The campus itself is a bit like marmite at first. But for the majority of people it grows on you. The night life isn't the best in the world, but it has it's moments. There's societies for everyones tastes. And the people I've met here are some of the greatest people ever.

Uni accommodation isn't anything to write home about, but it's cheap, warm and dry; all you really need. The housing is really good if you want out of halls for your second year.

As for my modules are the course itself. It's really interesting. Alot of the modules cross-over, which seems a bit weird at first, but they're worth studying as it broadens your knowledge for your other subject (I especially found this for anhtropology). Also, you will always know a handful of people doing the same thing as you so peer support and help is amazing which I thanks the samll uni size for that.

There are opportunities to study abroad, as well as some modules being abroad (I've not considered them as I wouldnt be able to afford it). Alot of the subjects have trips and fieldwork, so you get to see alot of Wales.

My main problem with this uni, well town is the phone signal. Do not go with O2 if you decide to study here!!

Hope my little input helped some of you thinking about coming here. (Doesn't even matter if you don't reach the required ucas points, they WILL let you in regardless).

hi im on vodafone , in harris hall will i be alright, whats the best network to have and do u get some sinal to phone people?
Original post by lukoko
hi im on vodafone , in harris hall will i be alright, whats the best network to have and do u get some sinal to phone people?

Orange or tmobile, you'll get coverage on Vodafone and O2 just not as good, try not to have an iPhone either when you're down there for some reason they don't seem to be able to register the networks in Lampeter

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 34
A greeting to all,

Although, it is definitely never in my interest to bump the thread began by another, the fact that it is about 2 years old is, I think, an appeal to do so since it seems open now.

Anyway, I have been investigating Trinity St. David for their Philosophy M.A. and Applied Philosophy M.A. Since my undergraduate course of study is Sociology, I attempted to email the coordinator of the latter program- but to no avail. In addition, I have been looking to other sources and that is when I stumbled upon this place, the student room. If I may, here are my questions:

1. Is TSD or the Philosophy department a religious or secular school/department? Upon reading the details on the department webpage, I am still a bit confused, though that may have to do with the difference between the dialects of English, theirs and mine; I am a Yank. FYI, I prefer a secular department, or one that is at least neutral. After all, a debate is always fun.

2. One aspect that unfamiliar is either the wording or perhaps the concept of Applied Philosophy. It looks like a legitimate Philosophy curriculum, but without the inclusion of Logic. Will this degree enable me and anyone else to teach Philosophy at the College University level?

3. What happened to logic?

4. Has anyone here ever participated in the Distance Learning program(s), if so, could you please share your experience or that of another?

Any help I may be privileged enough to receive will be greatly appreciated :biggrin:
Reply 35
Original post by bethan91

I've been offered a conditional to get in with 240 pts if I don't get all the points will I still be able to get onto my course? One of my subjects could go horribly wrong.
Original post by tiggybex
I've been offered a conditional to get in with 240 pts if I don't get all the points will I still be able to get onto my course? One of my subjects could go horribly wrong.

I would be surprised if you don't get an offer - if you fall a little short of the required grade but you really want to be there, then I think they are a little lenient - from what I know they just want students willing to put in the work, and who will turn that work into a good grade at the end of the course.
Hello. :smile:

I went through clearing to get into Trinity St David, Lampeter. I got in with almost 60 points less than what I was supposed to get. I also explained to them that I was one point off a B in English, which was required. They listened, and looked at my personal statement. I got let in through individual merit, and the staff were really friendly on the phone. :smile: I do Creative Writing with English, and for the last two years have been really happy here. The uni is a little bit small, and it definitely isn't a place filled with clubs... (loads of pubs though) However, the community is lovely, and so are the students. Anyway, if you do fall short of the points you need, they'll always consider you for a place. Don't worry Tiggy!
If you want to ask me anything, feel free to.
Reply 38
Original post by Whoop @55
A greeting to all,

Although, it is definitely never in my interest to bump the thread began by another, the fact that it is about 2 years old is, I think, an appeal to do so since it seems open now.

Anyway, I have been investigating Trinity St. David for their Philosophy M.A. and Applied Philosophy M.A. Since my undergraduate course of study is Sociology, I attempted to email the coordinator of the latter program- but to no avail. In addition, I have been looking to other sources and that is when I stumbled upon this place, the student room. If I may, here are my questions:

1. Is TSD or the Philosophy department a religious or secular school/department? Upon reading the details on the department webpage, I am still a bit confused, though that may have to do with the difference between the dialects of English, theirs and mine; I am a Yank. FYI, I prefer a secular department, or one that is at least neutral. After all, a debate is always fun.

2. One aspect that unfamiliar is either the wording or perhaps the concept of Applied Philosophy. It looks like a legitimate Philosophy curriculum, but without the inclusion of Logic. Will this degree enable me and anyone else to teach Philosophy at the College University level?

3. What happened to logic?

4. Has anyone here ever participated in the Distance Learning program(s), if so, could you please share your experience or that of another?

Any help I may be privileged enough to receive will be greatly appreciated :biggrin:

Hi Whoop,

I'm a current Philosophy student at TSD so I know the department well. I know you posted your message a long time ago, but I hope this may still be useful to you.

The department is not religious. There is no pressure to hold any particular beliefs, and all constructive debate is encouraged.

I'm not entirely sure what the difference is between the Applied Philosophy and just straight Philosophy, but I will send you a private message with the email address of a lecturer who will definitely know!

I also don't really know what happened to logic, but I think our department understands that it is perfectly possible to present strong, logical arguments without having to have studied formal logic.

I'm not sure how things work at MA level, but for undergraduates, the teaching style is quite informal and questions, challenges and debate are really encouraged.

We also have a Philosophy Society with two regular meetings a week and a film night roughly once a month. This is open to anyone and also predominantly informal but debates are loosely chaired to keep the focus.

I hope this has helped a little, and if you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask. I will message you that email address.

Lili.
Reply 39
Hi all I am one of the student ambassadors here at the University of Wales, Trinity Saint David and I am here to answer any questions that you may have. We also have a open day on both the campuses of Carmarthen and Lampeter, this up coming Saturday 17/08/2013. So if you fancy a campus tour or would prefer to ask any questions face to face - then why not come along.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending