The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bubbleburst
Yeah! I'm from Sweden so I'm just flying over for the interview. Where you from?

Where in Sweden do you live?
Original post by mel3
I'm also gonna fly in from Switzerland for my interview on December 08th.

Wow, that's curious. Are you also staying overnight, the 7th? (Which airport are you flying to?)
I am from Germany and my interviews on the 8th as well... is that just pure chance?
I am really worried about my English, though. I spent a year abroad but language skills deteriorate so fast! I am afraid I will be hesitant to speak because of the fear of making mistakes!
Reply 583
Original post by eve_m
Ahhh I know, if I'm honest I'm absolutely bricking it haha :redface: Of course I'll let anyone who cares know how it goes, seeing as I'm one of the first. I applied for Hatfield too not realising its repuation is for being snobby (:s-smilie:)... Still don't know which one I'm getting, just got an email saying I could be waiting for up to three weeks, gr. Despite reputation, still hoping it's Hatfield :smile: And yeah, if I got Cambridge I think I'd be stupid and have Durham as my insurance, and if not then I'd firm it. You?

I know! Although mine is just under two weeks so not feeling tooo pressured *yet*. How many interviews do you get? Do you get a source one like we do? (Apparently not all colleges give them :s-smilie:) Yeah definitely let me know though! (I'm sure you'll do fine tbh :yes:)

:woo: Hatfield! I'd have thought seeing as your in the first batch of acceptances that you'd surely get it. Hmm I was wondering whether that reputation was (i) true and (ii) a reflection of it being a bit insular...which could be ok if you liked all the college people anyway, right? Actually...have you ever been to Durham/Hatfield? I sorta just picked off of the website/prospectus as I've never been :colondollar:. Picked Hatfield because I wanted all the traditional bits (like a Cambridge college :rolleyes:), and all my teachers told me I'd never get into Castle...

I'd firm Cambridge, Durham then St. Andrews in that order, if I had to pick between York and Exeter I'm not so sure. We could be Hatfield Historians next year if you get Hatfield (Which you will I'd bet), I also get Hatfield (less likely, considering it doesn't look great for me even getting place at Durham, unless the A* moves the focus off GCSE's a little). Scary stuff! (University next year, not us being at the same one :tongue:)
(edited 13 years ago)
It must certainly be. Or not, but it's kinda curious.
Don't be afraid on that, though. If you look at the mock interviews (they're in the Emma website) and the Interviews in Action film, you will see that even the professors tend to be hesitant when they speak. If they can, why can't we?
What time are yours, and at which college?
Reply 585
Original post by rubyellis
me too! what languages do you want to study? i've just been reading lots of books about french and german politics etc, lots of different literature, and reading lots of newspapers

French and Spanish :smile: i take it you're wanting to study french and german?
yeah same as me.. read some literature and online newspapers and been practising my speaking a lot.. still feel pretty underprepared though.
Original post by Lulope
Since the other thread was closed and HD isn't on I have the honour of starting the new thread!

Original Thread
Hunter's Wonderful List of Applicants

Use this thread to discuss anything to do with applying to Cambridge or just life in general XD

Enjoy the new thread!

People's Interviews By College

People's Interviews By Date

If you would like on the list quote me (:

Interview 6th December

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 587
Got an interview on the 8th Dec with King's College for Economics. Anyone else?
Reply 588
considering the stress, the paperwork, and the nights spent with thinking "how ridiculous of you to have applied, you have NO CHANCE" - being offered a place would seem like a fair compensation. :/
Original post by SergioMZ
It must certainly be. Or not, but it's kinda curious.
Don't be afraid on that, though. If you look at the mock interviews (they're in the Emma website) and the Interviews in Action film, you will see that even the professors tend to be hesitant when they speak. If they can, why can't we?
What time are yours, and at which college?

Since we're on the topic, how cringe worthy was those clips? I swear....
And the questions. If my questions were as easy as that, I would jump for joy.
Original post by That German guy
I am from Germany and my interviews on the 8th as well... is that just pure chance?
I am really worried about my English, though. I spent a year abroad but language skills deteriorate so fast! I am afraid I will be hesitant to speak because of the fear of making mistakes!

Don't feel pressured to make instantaneous answers. It's likely your interviewers will appreciate considered, well-thought out answers even if it takes you to think about it for a bit. And don't worry about making mistakes on language, there are lots of foreign students here and they are judging you on your ability in the subject, not your English language skills :smile:

Original post by 24craigour

I'm afraid you won't be jumping for joy, but the questions won't be cripplingly difficult either :p:
Original post by ukdragon37
Don't feel pressured to make instantaneous answers. It's likely your interviewers will appreciate considered, well-thought out answers even if it takes you to think about it for a bit. And don't worry about making mistakes on language, there are lots of foreign students here and they are judging you on your ability in the subject, not your English language skills :smile:

I'm afraid you won't be jumping for joy, but the questions won't be cripplingly difficult either :p:

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Haven't seen you in a long time. How's life et:biggrin:? (I am so going to try and hunt you down. Don't tell me what you look like though. That would ruin the fun. :colone:)
On a more serious note; how far is Girton College away from the city centre, or more specifically Pembroke? Because I booked a room with travel inn (due to sister tagging along) and I'm worried its quite far away in terms of walking....
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Haven't seen you in a long time. How's life et:biggrin:? (I am so going to try and hunt you down. Don't tell me what you look like though. That would ruin the fun. :colone:)

Life is... tiring. At least I understand all of my courses this year (unlike Physics last year) but it's difficult keeping up a consistently good quality of supervision work. It gets really cutting when you have one piece or more to hand in every day and you have to spend a couple of hours completing it on top of lectures and actually having the supervisions. The vacation can't come fast enough :biggrin:

On a more serious note; how far is Girton College away from the city centre, or more specifically Pembroke? Because I booked a room with travel inn (due to sister tagging along) and I'm worried its quite far away in terms of walking....

Err walking might be a bit impractical. Usually Girtonians bike or take the bus, and there's a reason why the majority of people from Girton move into Wolfson Court (which is much closer to the city centre) from second year onwards. Have a look yourself. The main Girton College site is actually labelled "Girton College Orchard" on Google Maps rather than "Girton College", assuming your travel inn's near the main site.
Original post by ukdragon37
Life is... tiring. At least I understand all of my courses this year (unlike Physics last year) but it's difficult keeping up a consistently good quality of supervision work. It gets really cutting when you have one piece or more to hand in every day and you have to spend a couple of hours completing it on top of lectures and actually having the supervisions. The vacation can't come fast enough :biggrin:

Err walking might be a bit impractical. Usually Girtonians bike or take the bus, and there's a reason why the majority of people from Girton move into Wolfson Court (which is much closer to the city centre) from second year onwards. Have a look yourself. The main Girton College site is actually labelled "Girton College Orchard" on Google Maps rather than "Girton College", assuming your travel inn's near the main site.

Crap. Oh well, I'll only have to walk back and forward twice, it'll be a chance to get some exercise. (remembered: premier inn, not travel inn)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 594
Original post by SergioMZ
Wow, that's curious. Are you also staying overnight, the 7th? (Which airport are you flying to?)

I'm flying to London City. Yes, I will also stay overnight from the 7th to the 8th. Otherwise it's way to stressful to get to Cambridge on time.
Original post by mrigs
Why don't you try calling them. I'm sure that they'll understand that you need to make arrangements.

Funnily enough, after discussing my application with a couple of teachers I checked me e-mail and received one from Churchill saying here's a copy of the letter we went you a week ago, just wanted to make sure you got it on time!

I still haven't received it in the post, but thankfully someone at the university decided to make sure I knew about my interview!

So, if anyone is interested I've got an interview at Churchill on the 9th :biggrin:

Just booked my ticket and, well, booking less than 2 weeks in advance is rather expensive.

wait for it...

The equivelent of 600 quid :eek: I'd better get in after such a financial investment :tongue:.
Original post by alice.mathilda
Is anybody a foreign student going to UK just for the interview, like me?

Sort of. I'm travelling 6500 miles to get to my interview, but I'm overseas on a temporary basis so I'm not really "foreign".
Since we're on the topic, how cringe worthy was those clips? I swear....

Yes, they were a bit cringeworthy. On the other hand, it did not sound easy for me. Truth is, watching a mock politics interview might have helped me to see it better.
But anyway... I've noticed that people speaking RP tend to hesitate a lot when they speak, with lots of "ah, uhm, ehh" and the like. Therefore, if they, native, can do it, why can't we, being English a foreign language to us?
We'll be okay. In the end, are you flying down or taking the train? (IIRC you lived in Scotland, right?)

Original post by mel3
I'm flying to London City. Yes, I will also stay overnight from the 7th to the 8th. Otherwise it's way to stressful to get to Cambridge on time.

I too wanted to fly to LCY, but the flights for those days were full. :frown: (The 6th and the 8th are both national holidays in Spain, so the 7th is a compulsory bank holiday.)
Exactly, it was so stressful otherwise. I'm flying in the morning so I have time to drop by at a friends' school and spend some time with them, and then, more relaxed, I'll be going to Liverpool Street and catching the train up to Cambridge, at about 3-4pm (I know the King's Cross service is quicker if it's the non-stop one, but it's older carriages and much more expensive prices - urrgh, I don't like First!).
So instead I'm flying to Heathrow (as it is a national holiday, flights were about €400 with EasyJet, so I'm flying British Airlines, €200).
Reply 598
I'm the only person being interviewed by Queens' on the 8th. Obviously that's the day they've crammed all the divs in. :rolleyes: Anyway, my fellow English brethren (Q300 brethren, I mean) - what are you doing to prepare for your test, whether it's a 45-min sat thing or a little chat during the interview.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 599
Original post by Scrubby
Ah I see. I think I am going home at a similar time. I may join you, should the time suit me. Anyway, as for the meet up I'll try and quote everyone who's going on the 7th to see if they're up for a meet up. But what time sounds good? Around 2pm?

i'll lurk around in cambridge the day after my interview and come to this as well, as long as I can get my train by 3ish :ahee:

Latest

Trending

Trending