The Student Room Group

Average GCSEs, A* A* A* A-levels, enough for oxbridge medicine??

This is my story:
( I appreciate that this is long and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for taking the time to read it)

I studied year 12 and got BCD in the AS exams.
Then, I moved houses and the new sixth form suggested that I should retake year 12. They said that it would not hinder my application. I am currently re-doing year 12.
For GCSEs, I got Maths 7, eng lang 6, eng lit 7, geography 7, 9-8 combined science, 9 citizenship and 6 Design and Technology, Pass2 for two BTEC subjects.

I do Chemistry, Biology and Psychology. Predicted grades are A* A* A* ( I do EPQ as well).

If I were to have losts of work experience, extracurricular, an excellent UKAT score , 4 A*s (including the EPQ) and a excellent personal statement , do you think I would get into oxbidge medicine, despite average GCSEs and the fact that I repeated year 12 ?

Thank Youuuuuu
Hey there, thanks for posting a question in the Medicine forum. :biggrin:

The Medicine forum gets a high volume of questions being posted, and some of these are already answered by the resources and Megathreads that members of the community and volunteers have created. This is an automatic post which is designed to highlight these resources. Below is a list of threads and articles that could answer your question (you should be looking in the original post of the megathreads). If one of the below threads is a more relevant place to ask your question, please post a reply in that thread to ask your question. If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked below, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.

Megathreads
(Please read the first post, before then posting any further questions you have within that thread.)
The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread
The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread
Medicine A-Level subjects queries
Work Experience and Voluntary Work

2023 Applicants:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2023 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2023 Entry
Medicine 2023 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants
A100 Medicine for International Students 2023 Entry
Medicine Interview discussion 2023 Entry
2023 entry A100 / A101 Medicine fastest and slowest offer senders
Index of Individual Medical School Applicants' threads 2023 Entry

2024 Applicants :
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry
GAMSAT 2024 / 2025 entry discussions megathread
UCAT 2024 Entry Discussions Megathread

Other application years:
Graduate Entry Medicine 2025 Entry
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2025 Entry

Useful Articles:
GCSE Requirements for Medicine
Everything you need to know about the BMAT
Work Experience as a Graduate or Mature student
Medicine Personal Statement Advice
Medicine Personal Statement Advice (Graduate Entry)
Interview Frequently Asked Questions
MMI Medicine Interview Tips
What to do after an unsuccessful first application

If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked above, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.
Reply 2
Original post by Dalinar
This is my story:
( I appreciate that this is long and I thank you from the bottom of my heart for taking the time to read it)

I studied year 12 and got BCD in the AS exams.
Then, I moved houses and the new sixth form suggested that I should retake year 12. They said that it would not hinder my application. I am currently re-doing year 12.
For GCSEs, I got Maths 7, eng lang 6, eng lit 7, geography 7, 9-8 combined science, 9 citizenship and 6 Design and Technology, Pass2 for two BTEC subjects.

I do Chemistry, Biology and Psychology. Predicted grades are A* A* A* ( I do EPQ as well).

If I were to have losts of work experience, extracurricular, an excellent UKAT score , 4 A*s (including the EPQ) and a excellent personal statement , do you think I would get into oxbidge medicine, despite average GCSEs and the fact that I repeated year 12 ?

Thank Youuuuuu

For most med schools, restarting Yr 12 with the same subjects falls under their resit policy and neither Oxford nor Cambridge routinely accept resits, though both do if you have extenuating circumstances that are accepted by the unis
https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/faqs/i-have-taken-a-levels-outside-the-usual-2-year-frame-am-i-eligible-to-apply
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/apply/how/disrupted-studies

You would also have an issue with your GCSEs, if applying to Oxford, as they use GCSEs for 50% of scoring and expect both a high number and high percentage of A* equivalents
https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics/text-version-of-na-9-8-and-pa-at-gcse-2020

Cambridge do not use GCSEs for shortlisting for interview, but do look at the whole application when it comes to decisions about an offer. They also generally need 3 STEM subjects at A level and do not count Psychology as a science in this situation. Acceptance rates for those without 3 sciences are very low.
Reply 3
Original post by GANFYD
For most med schools, restarting Yr 12 with the same subjects falls under their resit policy and neither Oxford nor Cambridge routinely accept resits, though both do if you have extenuating circumstances that are accepted by the unis
https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/faqs/i-have-taken-a-levels-outside-the-usual-2-year-frame-am-i-eligible-to-apply
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/apply/how/disrupted-studies

You would also have an issue with your GCSEs, if applying to Oxford, as they use GCSEs for 50% of scoring and expect both a high number and high percentage of A* equivalents
https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics/text-version-of-na-9-8-and-pa-at-gcse-2020

Cambridge do not use GCSEs for shortlisting for interview, but do look at the whole application when it comes to decisions about an offer. They also generally need 3 STEM subjects at A level and do not count Psychology as a science in this situation. Acceptance rates for those without 3 sciences are very low.

Thank you so much for the amazing reply.

How about getting into imperial College London?
Reply 4
Original post by Dalinar
Thank you so much for the amazing reply.

How about getting into imperial College London?

Imperial currently just ask for a 6 in Eng Lang and A*AA at A level, then shortlist on BMAT. They are using UCAT from next year, so it is not clear whether that will change, but your academics look fine, as things stand :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending