The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
Original post by cpdavis
you have to look at the possiblity that you might have to take coach, as trains might be cancelled due to snow :yep:

Well I still have 2 weeks to go so I hope until then I hope there is less snow.

Btw. it is snowing heavily here too - but as it always snows heavily around that time of the year at least the streets are kept clean and the trains have just the usual delay.
Reply 981
Less than a week to go now for me...
Snow day but stuck in alone :/ and missinga mock interview! Suppose it is better than the 2 hour wait for a bus home from college I had to endure yesterday.

Slightly worried that I just interviewed myself in the bath... Possibly a sign of insanity?
Original post by Bumbl
Hi
what would be the best way to get from London Heathrow Airport to Cambridge city centre (somewhere near St John's St)?
I have plenty of time on my arrival day so I will probably spend some time in London and then take the train from King's Cross to Cambridge.

The problem is I am returning the day after my interview and the last check-in for my return flight is at 8:10 a.m. Is going by coach a better option than going by train and tube again?

Not sure I would advise looking around London on the way there as public transport is always a bit of a lottery in England and I know I would feel better being early than stressing that I will be late. Last week I went to Sheffield and there seemed plenty of time between trains but I ended up catching the last one with only a minute to spare (because of animals on the track!!).

Not sure about train services from Heathrow (I think there may be an express service to London) but otherwise it is a slow tube ride (about 40 minutes if I remember correctly) to London. There may be tube strikes as well. From Kings Cross there are fast trains to Cambridge but the train station is about 1 and a half miles from St Johns (a bus does operate).

I don't know anything about coaches from Cambridge to Heathrow but would imagine they would take a couple of hours and coaches don't normally operate at antisocial hours.
starting to get really nervous about this interview - I don't wanna screw up!! any words of wisdom?

Thank you :smile:
Original post by Blondshavemorefun
:smile:Having a few mock interviews, re reading my p.s. and the books I've mentioned in it. Checking out the info on the various Cambridge sites. If you've got any other ideas I love to hear them.

Where are you guys applying for English? I am so nervous, do you feel like you just don't know enough? x:s-smilie:
Reply 985
Hey, I have an interview on the 13th at Selwyn for MML. I was under the mistaken impression that the deadline for submitting written work was the 10th, but the Admissions Sec. has just emailed me to say that the deadline was the 1st (ie. today) and that sending the work is now "a matter of urgency".

I am really upset by this, because it is my Spanish teacher who has taken weeks to mark my essay for the folio, and has not yet given it back to me. My school has been shut since Monday and will remain so until at least the end of the week. I have no way of contacting my teacher, and have no guarantee that, even if the school is open on Monday, my teacher will have finished marking the essay. Plus the snow is delaying postal services.

This is my worst nightmare: does anyone have any advice? Is anyone else in the same situation?
Original post by theproseandpassion
Where are you guys applying for English? I am so nervous, do you feel like you just don't know enough? x:s-smilie:

:tongue: My interviews are at Christ's on 8th. I am really stressing about it and feel the same as you.
Original post by ksim
Hey, I have an interview on the 13th at Selwyn for MML. I was under the mistaken impression that the deadline for submitting written work was the 10th, but the Admissions Sec. has just emailed me to say that the deadline was the 1st (ie. today) and that sending the work is now "a matter of urgency".

I am really upset by this, because it is my Spanish teacher who has taken weeks to mark my essay for the folio, and has not yet given it back to me. My school has been shut since Monday and will remain so until at least the end of the week. I have no way of contacting my teacher, and have no guarantee that, even if the school is open on Monday, my teacher will have finished marking the essay. Plus the snow is delaying postal services.

This is my worst nightmare: does anyone have any advice? Is anyone else in the same situation?

:smile:Contact the college and explain the situation, see what they say.
Original post by Blondshavemorefun
:tongue: My interviews are at Christ's on 8th. I am really stressing about it and feel the same as you.

I just keep thinking I don't know enough and how will I react if I can't answer a question? How you feeling? :smile:
Reply 989
i have been reading through my personal statement and trying to think of some questions that i could potentially be asked. i have tried answering some of these questions and am finding it worryingly hard. my interview is in 8 days and i can't even answer questions that i have come up with myself, AAAAAH
Reply 990
Original post by Felix101
Apparently in mine I 'talked too much' :redface:. Oops. Yeah pretty much the same. There are times though when I feel that I've pretty much covered the stuff I've read already, and so move onto a new book. Then 3 hours later I'm like 'why did I do that? I still have xyz to go back over...' :rolleyes:. :woo: peep show! My friends and I had a peep show marathon over the summer where we watched it all back to back, it was awesome!

Anyway, more importantly, Good Luck! :awesome:. Let us know how it goes :smile: (I'm sure you'll do awesomely)

Yay for good taste in comedy. Peep Show makes everything better, and David Mitchell is god. Thanks for the luck, but more importantly you better pray it doesn't snow in London overnight :s-smilie: I will of course let people know how it goes, eeeeven if it goes terribly :smile:
Reply 991
I want a holiday ): I've been looking at the Ryanair website as I'm prone to doing and I can go to Paris for a couple of days and the flights will only cost £12!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But none of my friends want to go ): Apparently the only place we could go on holiday is somewhere with a beach ):
Original post by theproseandpassion
I just keep thinking I don't know enough and how will I react if I can't answer a question? How you feeling? :smile:

:smile:I think everyone is worried about this. I think the interview is so that the people doing the interviewing can access how each applicant thinks and the throught processes used to tackle something the applicant may not have come across before. Keep an open mind and just do your best and remember that they know we won't have the answers to some of their questions, but the key is how we try and tackle this. Good luck.
Reply 993
Original post by Lulope
I want a holiday ): I've been looking at the Ryanair website as I'm prone to doing and I can go to Paris for a couple of days and the flights will only cost £12!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But none of my friends want to go ): Apparently the only place we could go on holiday is somewhere with a beach ):

get new friends. :ahee:

or i'll come with you, i LOVE paris! :love:
Reply 994
Original post by Scrubby
Yep anyone with a :awesome: look on their faces is from TSR. In fact we should make that our universal method of greeting. Make the :awesome: face at anyone who looks vaguely like they might be from TSR and see if they respond in kind.

Anyway not many responses so clearly this thing is going well :tongue:. I suck at organising things :frown:. I think I'll just say 1.30 start for now and decide on a meeting place and greeting(in addition to the :awesome: face) later. I don't really have a great deal of time atm so I'll quote everyone who might be able to make it with details later.

yo, tell them to add me (fb link on profile) cos i'm gonna put up deets/maps etc on the event page! i've worked out i'll definitely be around from 12-3 that day so i'll help a bit with any 'organising' you need :tongue:

right, off to practise :awesome: face...
Reply 995
Original post by Lulope

We were planning on where we're going to go y'day for after exams, but with other people on holiday and everything it's a nightmare :frown: I suggested Feb half term but they said NO THAT'S TOO CLOSE TO EXAMS CANNOT GO THEN. So it's a maybe ? :P
Original post by Lulope

I'll go with you :biggrin: Paris is gorgeous :love: All my friends have an irrational dislike of France and refuse to go with me though, we're going to Norway instead in summer :p:
Reply 997
Anyone else practicing interview questions with a dictaphone and then cringing heartily when playing the answers back?
Original post by Samg123
Anyone else practicing interview questions with a dictaphone and then cringing heartily when playing the answers back?

No, but I will do now. :wink:
Reply 999
I guarantee you will lose all self respect.

Latest

Trending

Trending