The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by maddielou_
We never had christmas exams. Not proper ones anyway :smile:. I guess we were lucky. It doesn't sound fun for you at all!

I think I'll be alright, I'll have to see how I am tomorrow morning before I travel, I reckon I just won't be on top form which is what you want to be for cambridge interviews don't you!? Luckily my parents don't think I'm faking, I've only just recovered from glandular fever so my immune system is pretty low and I catch things really quickly.

Aw bless you! I hate not being able to cough when you really need to. I remember having an awful cough in a driving lesson once and I was coughing so much I ended up crying and having to pull over. My instructor thought she had been mean to me! :tongue:.

Fingers crossed. I feel like I'm really medicated right now but if it works why not haha!

We have five formal exams a year... Which REALLY are a waste of time!!! My biology teacher gives us a test EVERY WEEK and we haven't finished the course! So she wastes valuable learning time!!!

What time are you leaving home? Did you get your train passes yet??? How far away from Cambridge are you? Yeah, for a Cambridge interview you would want to be better than normal, not under the weather :frown: Glandular fever? Were you sick for a while? A girl in my class had that and missed six months of school! She wanted to be a vet, and not that has gone out the window :frown:

Haha, was it one of your first driving lessons? I was driving with my mother once (after driving myself to work for 2 months without as much as a scratch on the car when she was in foetal positions, covering her eyes and screaming at me to "put my hands on the wheel, look at the road, slow down, change gears, indicate and turn off the full lights", at the same time! I pulled over and told her to get out... She hasn't done it since! :P

:crossedf: that you feel better! I'm sure that they will understand if you're not feeling well! x
Okay, okay I'm really crapping myself about my interview next week so I just would like to make an open query to people who have had theirs.

I'm not sure if you're allowed to answer this considering the policy Cambridge have on not actually divulging the exact nature of inteviews (questions and so on) but I'd really like to get a feel for how many people got asked the why here? question. Obviously if you don't think you can be that explicit about it let me know.

Best of luck to everyone going up today, and well done to everyone coming out the other side! :smile: (I'm not sure that was the most elegant turn of phrase there)
Original post by calleenal
Okay, okay I'm really crapping myself about my interview next week so I just would like to make an open query to people who have had theirs.

I'm not sure if you're allowed to answer this considering the policy Cambridge have on not actually divulging the exact nature of inteviews (questions and so on) but I'd really like to get a feel for how many people got asked the why here? question. Obviously if you don't think you can be that explicit about it let me know.

Best of luck to everyone going up today, and well done to everyone coming out the other side! :smile: (I'm not sure that was the most elegant turn of phrase there)

Why Cambridge you mean? I would imagine they'll have more pressing things to ask. But even so you might as well prepare an short answer? I don't know if History of Art have a syllabus up like History does, but if it does have a look and just try and find a paper you like the look of to drop in, or thing about why the course is what you'd want to do. I know this isn't an exact answer, as I'd rather err on the side of caution if you see what I mean; but anyway best be prepared even if no one else seems to have had it come up - you might be the only one :tongue:. Good luck, if you go in calmly you'll do much better and maybe even enjoy it, that's what I found.
Original post by shannon14
We have five formal exams a year... Which REALLY are a waste of time!!! My biology teacher gives us a test EVERY WEEK and we haven't finished the course! So she wastes valuable learning time!!!

What time are you leaving home? Did you get your train passes yet??? How far away from Cambridge are you? Yeah, for a Cambridge interview you would want to be better than normal, not under the weather :frown: Glandular fever? Were you sick for a while? A girl in my class had that and missed six months of school! She wanted to be a vet, and not that has gone out the window :frown:

Haha, was it one of your first driving lessons? I was driving with my mother once (after driving myself to work for 2 months without as much as a scratch on the car when she was in foetal positions, covering her eyes and screaming at me to "put my hands on the wheel, look at the road, slow down, change gears, indicate and turn off the full lights", at the same time! I pulled over and told her to get out... She hasn't done it since! :P

:crossedf: that you feel better! I'm sure that they will understand if you're not feeling well! x

That does sound a bit of a waste of time. We used to have end of unit tests but we didn't have anything too formal. Everything was just done in classrooms at a-level.

I'm leaving about half 3 tomorrow afternoon. I'm around 4 hours away by train and it would take about 5 or more hours by car depending on weather. I havn't got the tickets yet, so starting to panic! Waiting to see if we get any post today. How far away are you? I was really ill for just under two months and i'm still recovering but luckily as I'm not at school I was able to literally just stay in bed which was probably useful. I have to be careful not to do too much at the moment otherwise I can relapse and get sick again and ruin my recovery :smile:.

Haha no, it was a while into my lessons. It was quite funny after as she was so apologetic I was like I only had a coughing fit! Your mum sounds like mine! She is so annoying to drive with!

Thank you, I hope you're better too!
Original post by Felix101
Why Cambridge you mean? I would imagine they'll have more pressing things to ask. But even so you might as well prepare an short answer? I don't know if History of Art have a syllabus up like History does, but if it does have a look and just try and find a paper you like the look of to drop in, or thing about why the course is what you'd want to do. I know this isn't an exact answer, as I'd rather err on the side of caution if you see what I mean; but anyway best be prepared even if no one else seems to have had it come up - you might be the only one :tongue:. Good luck, if you go in calmly you'll do much better and maybe even enjoy it, that's what I found.

Thanks for this sound advice. I really want to enjoy it. :smile:
Aw bless you. I hope it gets better! When is your interview?

Monday 13th! I have time to get better... I hope. :tongue:
Reply 1586
Original post by calleenal
Thanks for this sound advice. I really want to enjoy it. :smile:

I've just had my interview at Newnham for English, and suprisingly- I found it to be really quite fun! They were talking/asking me about things I'm really interested in, I didn't expect to get so into it but it really wasn't the terribly daunting experience i expected! So stay calm and enjoy it :smile:
That does sound a bit of a waste of time. We used to have end of unit tests but we didn't have anything too formal. Everything was just done in classrooms at a-level.

I'm leaving about half 3 tomorrow afternoon. I'm around 4 hours away by train and it would take about 5 or more hours by car depending on weather. I havn't got the tickets yet, so starting to panic! Waiting to see if we get any post today. How far away are you? I was really ill for just under two months and i'm still recovering but luckily as I'm not at school I was able to literally just stay in bed which was probably useful. I have to be careful not to do too much at the moment otherwise I can relapse and get sick again and ruin my recovery :smile:.

Haha no, it was a while into my lessons. It was quite funny after as she was so apologetic I was like I only had a coughing fit! Your mum sounds like mine! She is so annoying to drive with!

Thank you, I hope you're better too!

No, my school are COMPLETE psychopaths! They enforce some rules that are so stupid (you have to wear your blazer at all times!!!).It would be different if we did continuous assessment, but these tests mean that you concentrate on one subject more than others!

Can you get them to print off your tickets at the station? I'm sure that loads of people aren't getting any of there post! I live in Ireland, so I have to fly open... Thank GOD Shannon is a quiet airport and there aren't many cancellations! Plus I'm flying Ryanair, who will do anything to have their flights on time to save money! Is Stansted a busy airport? I've never been there! (And I hear that there is a 24 hour Starbucks? I'm getting really excited about that!!!)

The girl who had it in my class went surfing while she was recovering. Then she ended up with her spleen growing to 10 times its normal size and she had to get it removed! She was in hospital for months, but is better now. But like you, she has to be careful!

Yeah, and at the start of October she took the car keys off of me and said no driving until it heats up again (March) and you finish the leaving cert (July)... She regrets that now!

I was wondering if Cambridge offered you a place in 2012, would you go then and pay extra, or go to one of your other choices? And what is the story with them tripling university fees? When is that coming in?
Original post by EffDee
I've just had my interview at Newnham for English, and suprisingly- I found it to be really quite fun! They were talking/asking me about things I'm really interested in, I didn't expect to get so into it but it really wasn't the terribly daunting experience i expected! So stay calm and enjoy it :smile:

Ah I'm glad it went well for you!
Original post by darkestskies
Monday 13th! I have time to get better... I hope. :tongue:

Good luck :smile:
Original post by shannon14
No, my school are COMPLETE psychopaths! They enforce some rules that are so stupid (you have to wear your blazer at all times!!!).It would be different if we did continuous assessment, but these tests mean that you concentrate on one subject more than others!

Can you get them to print off your tickets at the station? I'm sure that loads of people aren't getting any of there post! I live in Ireland, so I have to fly open... Thank GOD Shannon is a quiet airport and there aren't many cancellations! Plus I'm flying Ryanair, who will do anything to have their flights on time to save money! Is Stansted a busy airport? I've never been there! (And I hear that there is a 24 hour Starbucks? I'm getting really excited about that!!!)

The girl who had it in my class went surfing while she was recovering. Then she ended up with her spleen growing to 10 times its normal size and she had to get it removed! She was in hospital for months, but is better now. But like you, she has to be careful!

Yeah, and at the start of October she took the car keys off of me and said no driving until it heats up again (March) and you finish the leaving cert (July)... She regrets that now!

I was wondering if Cambridge offered you a place in 2012, would you go then and pay extra, or go to one of your other choices? And what is the story with them tripling university fees? When is that coming in?

Thats so silly. Although our school used to have some silly rules as well!
I'm not sure if I can get them printed at the station, I'm going to ring and find out as I'm starting to panic. Stansted is very busy! I've only been once I think but it's a fairly huge airport and it'll probably be quite busy. Not as bad as Heathrow though. Not sure about the starbucks but there probably is!

Yeah I had an enlarged spleen and liver so I wasn't allowed to exercise or anything for a while. Luckily I didn't get hospitalised, I nearly did because I have am allergic reaction to some medication.

Ah I have my own car so I can drive whenever :smile: But with the snow I havn't been driving as much.

I'm not sure what I would do. I've already taken a gap year so I'm not sure if I'd take another one. I'd have to think about it, but I'd probably go for Cambridge. What about you? The fees thing is under debate still but if it does come in it'll be for 2012 as far as I know.
Original post by EffDee

Any chance you could give a few hints as to the sort of things they asked? Obviously, I totally understand if you can't :smile:
I'm glad you enjoyed it, well done!
Reply 1592
I have a maths interview at Sidney on the 13th, feeling rather unprepared for the applied interview and any general questions my interviewers may decide to ask. Ah well, at least these snow days are allowing me to go over some mechanics, rather than being stuck in a pointless computing lesson or a general studies discussion on 'whether politicians have too much power'.
Good luck :smile:

You too - and I hope you get better soon! :smile:
Original post by TimmonaPortella
I saw this. There was a Guardian reader sitting next to me on the train - I'd never go near it.

cum hoc ergo propter hoc

edit: I'm actually making a guardian account just to comment on this. I am blown away by how many retards are posting things like 'OMG RACISM'.

People are far too quick to jump to conclusions, it's true. They could easily not be good enough for the course hence they would obviously be rejected but I wouldn't immediately dismiss these accusations. I think it's worth investigating their admissions system. Maybe it's a bias towards private school students because they've been prepared better. But something seems wrong.

Original post by Jing_jing
Well done on your interviews! Are you relieved that they're over? I think that after mine are done and dusted I'm going to try and forget the whole process and fill my days with distractions :biggrin:

To be fair, last year there were only 35 applications from black students.

Extremely relieved. Two interviews down and with no interview on the horizon I can basically just mess about now. I've spent waaaaay too much time in my school library and at home preparing myself for my interviews. And pretty much all my preparation was utterly pointless. It's both annoying and a relief.
Reply 1595
Original post by Thin Brown Duke
Yo History applicants!! Just had my interview at Emmanuel College today, anyone wanna share any experiences?

(My source was on Kissinger, they didn't push me much but I felt I could have projected a much better image of myself :/)

Overall it wasn't actually very hard but that's kinda bad 'cos I don't feel I really differentiated myself and as the odds for History at Emmanuel are like 1 in 5, differentiation is crucial!! (Right?)

Thankfully there were no off-the-wall questions like, "Why are you sitting in this chair?" There wasn't even a "Why History/Cambridge/Emmanuel?" question. :smile:

Any feedback would be super :smile:

Of course I can't really relate because I had a different subject and college (Newnham, English) but I was slightly dissapointed...I really didn't feel pushed- I wasn't asked anything off the wall or even particularly challenging...So I feel i perhaps didn't show myself to be a truly 'lateral thinker' becase the questions were so literal...maybe that was the trick?
Anyway- My interviewers were both really nice and down to earth, I expected to have something thrown at me or to be perpetualy frowned at but they even cracked a smile now and then- so overall, completely have no idea what to make of the experience...
Good luck and Congratulations to all those who have had their interviews!! Anyone had a PPS interview yet? How was it? I'm obviously not asking you to tell me more than you guys want to, but if anyone would be kind enough to share some hints or tips with me that would be great :tongue: obviously, if you're uncomfortable doing that then don't worry about it :smile:
Reply 1597
I think It's kinda funny how they tell you not to 'confer' because it might 'jeapordize' your chances...In the waiting room at Newnham there were signs everywhere saying 'do not talk about your interview, do not use mobile phones' I was on the phone chatting to my mum about my interview and they didn't bat an eyelid, also me and my friend sat chatting and comparing interview questions...but then one of the sheepdogs told us off :frown: But I can't see what difference it makes if you've already HAD the interviews...? no?
The interviews didn't actually push me in the way I thought they would now I think about it.

My first one was an interview which was completely unrelated to my subject but not a general interview at all. There were academic questions but not something which should actually in any situation be asked of a medical applicant, let's leave it at that.

Whereas my second one was surprisingly simple and the last one was just pushing me way too hard on something I knew nothing about and wasn't particularly linked with my subject either. It wasn't something which a flexible, logical mind could try and figure out. It was just something which if you didn't have knowledge of there's no way you could answer such a question properly especially with absolutely no help. Very strange. I had a try but kept getting shot down and the interviewer looked fairly frustrated at times.

I wouldn't be put off by my experience though really. It's probably quite rare that interviews like that actually happen. I am annoyed that they didn't try and test my logic or present me with something slightly unfamiliar and supply me with information to help me work out the answer. I thought that's what Cambridge was about and I think I would have enjoyed that. Rather than having one simple interview and two other incredibly irrelevant interviews.
Reply 1599
Original post by Scrubby
The interviews didn't actually push me in the way I thought they would now I think about it.

My first one was an interview which was completely unrelated to my subject but not a general interview at all. There were academic questions but not something which should actually in any situation be asked of a medical applicant, let's leave it at that.

Whereas my second one was surprisingly simple and the last one was just pushing me way too hard on something I knew nothing about and wasn't particularly linked with my subject either. It wasn't something which a flexible, logical mind could try and figure out. It was just something which if you didn't have knowledge of there's no way you could answer such a question properly especially with absolutely no help. Very strange. I had a try but kept getting shot down and the interviewer looked fairly frustrated at times.

I wouldn't be put off by my experience though really. It's probably quite rare that interviews like that actually happen. I am annoyed that they didn't try and test my logic or present me with something slightly unfamiliar and supply me with information to help me work out the answer. I thought that's what Cambridge was about and I think I would have enjoyed that. Rather than having one simple interview and two other incredibly irrelevant interviews.

Scrubby wt???

Latest

Trending

Trending