The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Lone Fox
No, that's just your opinion.

no, it is his opinion.

Actually, the main allegation is that the appeal was filtering money through to him. And what about that whacking great sum that appeared in his wife's bank account?

When they present evidence of why they believe this then we can start to get somewhere.
Actualyyou mean the whacking small sum that is alleged to have appeared in his wifes bank account.
Well maybe it was donation? That is what bank account are there for, to recieve money. It doesnt proove guilt does it.

I think you'll find that most defendants are quite passioante about their own lack of guilt. What a ridiculous idea that he should be innocent based on that. Oh and "looking" innocent? I think the man looks guilty, that proves nothing.

Ill think you find they arnt, they get trained people to speak for them.

It proves nothing, but i think he looks innocent. More so than guilty. I know that you dont, but i cant see why you dont.

What about the UN accusations. He can hardly dismiss those as being politicall motivated. Oh, and the Telegraph documents were never said to be forgeries and he has not yet said that the current documents are forged.

They used the same documents the senate did! we shall see about the UN accusations. But they are just the same as he senates, that he persoanly enriched himself of trading in oil.
Smear his name, again! Yet how much do they have to back it up with, im waiting to see.
You know i am not talking about he telegraph documents. He won his case agaist them though!

Sure. All the following are taken from when Galloway was being questioned, and was repeatedly refusing to give a straightforward answer, to Levin.

GALLOWAY: Well, if it turns out from your own testimony that practically everyone in the world, and especially the United States, was paying kickbacks…

GALLOWAY: I opposed the oil-for-food program with all my heart, not for the reasons that you are troubled by it, but because it was a program which saw the death—I’m talking about the death now, I’m talking about a mass grave—of a million people, most of them children in Iraq.

GALLOWAY: Well, please, Senator. You supported the illegal attack on Iraq. Don’t talk to me about illegality…

GALLOWAY: You launched an illegal war which has killed 100,000 people…

Yes and nothing there is a repeat is it!?
1.you were paying kickbacks
2.I opposed the oil-for-food program
3.you supported an illegal war
4.You launched an illegal war which killed 100,000 peopel

3 and 4 are the closest. was there some rule he wasnt allowed to repeat that twice in the 40 minutes defense?
The other two are completely different!
Reply 121
Adam83
no, it is his opinion.
Er... that's nice. *Newsflash: Defendant is innocent in his opinion*

Adam83
When they present evidence of why they believe this then we can start to get somewhere.
There's plenty of evidence. The US, the UN, The Telegraph have all provided documents, the US and the UN have testimony from formerly high-ranking Iraqi officials. All of this is in the public domain.

Adam83
Actualyyou mean the whacking small sum that is alleged to have appeared in his wifes bank account.
Maybe you're a millionaire, but $150,000 sounds a lot to me. And it's not really alleged to have appeared, it did appear.

Adam83
Well maybe it was donation? That is what bank account are there for, to recieve money. It doesnt proove guilt does it.
You're really not up on the complexities of the case, are you?
The money came from a friend of Galloway's, who is the one accused of directly dealing with the oil allocations etc. on behalf of Galloway.

Adam83
Ill think you find they arnt, they get trained people to speak for them.
Indeed they do, they also passionately plead their own innocence in front of the media and from the witness stand. I think you'll find that most defendants are kind of passionate about not being found guilty. Is this really the best you can produce?

Adam83
It proves nothing, but i think he looks innocent. More so than guilty. I know that you dont, but i cant see why you dont.
When the justice system starts running on the basis of whether or not the guy looks innocent or guilty, give me a ring.

Adam83
They used the same documents the senate did!
So? That lends even more credence to the contention that they're genuine pieces of evidence, does it not?

Adam83
we shall see about the UN accusations. But they are just the same as he senates, that he persoanly enriched himself of trading in oil.
Smear his name, again! Yet how much do they have to back it up with, im waiting to see.
The evidence (US and UN reports) are largely in the public domain, you don't have to "wait" you could go start examining it now. And I'm sorry, if the US and UN both come to the same conclusion, why do you insist this is just more attempts at "smear" if they separately come to the same conclusions, does that not give you an inkling that there might be something to them?

Adam83
You know i am not talking about he telegraph documents. He won his case agaist them though!
He won his case on the grounds that he was not given adequate opportunity to respond to accusations. You do know that his lawyers never challenged the authenticity of the documents used, right...

And all those statements are repeats from his original statements. Indeed, I did not copy/paste you his full initial statements earlier, but merely some of them, the full lot are available easily on the net.
If you'd really looked at and watched what he said as many times as you claim, you'd know that all 4 of those statements are repeats of things in his opening. But you didn't know that...
It was a little trap. And you fell in it.
Reply 122
Lone Fox
Er... that's nice. *Newsflash: Defendant is innocent in his opinion*

There's plenty of evidence. The US, the UN, The Telegraph have all provided documents, the US and the UN have testimony from formerly high-ranking Iraqi officials. All of this is in the public domain.

Maybe you're a millionaire, but $150,000 sounds a lot to me. And it's not really alleged to have appeared, it did appear.

You're really not up on the complexities of the case, are you?
The money came from a friend of Galloway's, who is the one accused of directly dealing with the oil allocations etc. on behalf of Galloway.

Indeed they do, they also passionately plead their own innocence in front of the media and from the witness stand. I think you'll find that most defendants are kind of passionate about not being found guilty. Is this really the best you can produce?

When the justice system starts running on the basis of whether or not the guy looks innocent or guilty, give me a ring.

So? That lends even more credence to the contention that they're genuine pieces of evidence, does it not?

The evidence (US and UN reports) are largely in the public domain, you don't have to "wait" you could go start examining it now. And I'm sorry, if the US and UN both come to the same conclusion, why do you insist this is just more attempts at "smear" if they separately come to the same conclusions, does that not give you an inkling that there might be something to them?

He won his case on the grounds that he was not given adequate opportunity to respond to accusations. You do know that his lawyers never challenged the authenticity of the documents used, right...

And all those statements are repeats from his original statements. Indeed, I did not copy/paste you his full initial statements earlier, but merely some of them, the full lot are available easily on the net.
If you'd really looked at and watched what he said as many times as you claim, you'd know that all 4 of those statements are repeats of things in his opening. But you didn't know that...
It was a little trap. And you fell in it.

Whatever happened to sub judice? We weren't allowed to discuss the Michael Jackson case on TSR until the case was not proven.
Reply 123
never mind lonefox
I look forward to him being found innocent.
Not that i have alot of faith in the americans to find their enemies innocent.
Reply 124
yawn
Whatever happened to sub judice? We weren't allowed to discuss the Michael Jackson case on TSR until the case was not proven.

Sub Judice doesn't apply as the matter we are discussing is not "under judgment" by any legal system at the moment. Allegations cannot be subject to that rule, for obvious reasons. Anyway, it's not like private discussion can be stopped even if the rule is in force, people will always talk.
Reply 125
Lone Fox
Sub Judice doesn't apply as the matter we are discussing is not "under judgment" by any legal system at the moment. Allegations cannot be subject to that rule, for obvious reasons. Anyway, it's not like private discussion can be stopped even if the rule is in force, people will always talk.

I thought Galloway had been accused and was about to be found guilty - at least, according to you!

You are wrong that sub judice cannot be applied on TSR. The admin could have severe punititive measures taken against them - on this a public forum. If you had been a member of TSR when the Jackson case started you would have seen the embargo on forum discussion that was enforced.

You are at liberty to carry on this discussion by pm if you wish, but it is decidely dodgy to do so in any other circumstances, unless your preface or suffix your accusations with the word 'allegedly'.
Reply 126
yawn
I thought Galloway had been accused and was about to be found guilty - at least, according to you!

Don't cover up your failure to think your point through. Sub Judice doesn't apply, whatever you may think about anything.

yawn
You are wrong that sub judice cannot be applied on TSR.

I didn't say it couldn't be applied. Read what I said, I was talking about "private discussion" and in a very general sense, at that.

yawn
You are at liberty to carry on this discussion by pm if you wish, but it is decidely dodgy to do so in any other circumstances, unless your preface or suffix your accusations with the word 'allegedly'.

Stop trying to enforce your own warped idea of legal principles on me. Sub Judice does not apply at this point in time, and if the administratve team of this board had any complaints about this topic and the comments in it, they'd be either warning people not to say things or closing the topic. The fact they have done NEITHER of these things is indicative of the fact that it is a valid and viable subject for discussion and comments are within acceptable boundaries. People around here accuse people and governments of crimes of all natures all the time, without any reprimand from you, why are you trying to stifle debate on this topic?
Don't tell me what I am or am not "at liberty" to do, you have absolutely no say in the matter, I will carry on commenting on the traitorous, corrupt, scumbag criminal that is George Galloway MP as I see fit.
Reply 127
Lone Fox
Don't cover up your failure to think your point through. Sub Judice doesn't apply, whatever you may think about anything.

I didn't say it couldn't be applied. Read what I said, I was talking about "private discussion" and in a very general sense, at that.

Stop trying to enforce your own warped idea of legal principles on me. Sub Judice does not apply at this point in time, and if the administratve team of this board had any complaints about this topic, they'd be either warning people not to say things or closing the topic. The fact they have done NEITHER of these things is indicative of the fact that it is a valid and viable subject for discussion. People around here accuse people and governments of crimes of all natures, all the time, why are you trying to stifle debate in this topic?

Ooohh - touchy! :biggrin:

I have no point to follow through, other than you are jumping the gun! :rolleyes:
Reply 128
I'm jumping the gun? What the hell are you on about.
Reply 129
Lone Fox
I'm jumping the gun? What the hell are you on about.

*sigh*

You have already decided that George Galloway is guilty of anything that he is accused of.
Reply 130
I've looked at the evidence, it's convincing. Both the UN and the US have come to the same conclusions, I've seen Galloway frantically distancing himself from his wife and avoiding questions put to him. I've drawn my conclusions.
Reply 131
Lone Fox
I've drawn my conclusions.

As I said, you've decided he's guilty on the basis of evidence that is highly likely to have been forged.

Personally, it's of no consquence to me apart from the creeping insidiousness of government sanctioned 'stitch-ups'.
Reply 132
yawn
As I said, you've decided he's guilty on the basis of evidence that is highly likely to have been forged.

"highly likely to have been forged"?
Sorry, what are you basing that on?
Both the US and UN have come up with documents and also have interviews with sources. And Galloway never even challenged that the Telegraph documents were genuine. The only forged documents there have been were the CSM ones, which are different to all the others.
Reply 133
"the only forged documens there have been..."

lol.
you have got to admit there shouldnt really have been any.

Now if these are real documents and he is guilty of something that was illegal in a law somewhere then fine.
The documents now i think the UN and Senate used pretty much the same ones for both investigations.
Also these 'sources' seem to be prisoners.
Ones lawyer has already come out and said that it was lies and he never said what he is quoted as saying.

So it is all very interesting at least.
Reply 134
The UN commented on what the lawyer said. Basically, the prisoner said certain things on the first interview that are being used now, but by the second interview he had learnt that his comments might be used as a basis for prosecution of people and thus he refused to talk anymore and his lawyer is denying the original claims. That to my mind says that the prisoner did say some pretty damning things and is simply now regretting them.
Reply 135
umm....when we talk about prisoners making damning statements we have to take into account that these statements have, and often still are, made under duress and intimidation.

To discount the possibilty could be considered somewhat naive.
Reply 136
yawn
umm....when we talk about prisoners making damning statements we have to take into account that these statements have, and often still are, made under duress and intimidation.

Why do you continuously assert things that cannot be proven one way or the other? You don't know that the statements were made under duress, you have not had access to the prisoner, you're merely asserting yet another idea that you've had. And the fact that the UN investigation also has the same statements, would indicate that they at least approve of the method by which they were gained.

yawn
To discount the possibilty could be considered somewhat naive.

And to assert that it's true, based on no evidence, would be false.
Reply 137
Lone Fox
Why do you continuously assert things that cannot be proven one way or the other? You don't know that the statements were made under duress, you have not had access to the prisoner, you're merely asserting yet another idea that you've had. And the fact that the UN investigation also has the same statements, would indicate that they at least approve of the method by which they were gained.

And to assert that it's true, based on no evidence, would be false.

My post was that documents and statements made by prisoners under duress have been proved to be false in many other cases. I was not referring specifically to this case, but merely pointing out the fact that, as it has happened in the past there is nothing to stop us thinking it might be happening in this case.

Have you not heard of cases where people have been charged, tried, found guilty and imprisoned, only for the prisoner/s to be acquitted many years later because the evidence was found to have been falsified and the statement of 'confession' was obtained illegally also?
i have ^^

Latest

Trending

Trending