The Student Room Group

Nervous/anxiety habits impacting health (pulling my teeth out"

I'm sure most people have things they do when they're stressed, agitated, or just bored, such as biting your nails etc. For me, I get the compulsion ti try and pull out my teeth. I don't know how to describe it, but sometimes I just feel like I *HAVE* to dig my nails into my gums, otherwise this feeling won't go away. A lot of the time I will viciously grind my teeth, but most commonly I grab my teeth and try and pull them out (either with my fingers or by pushing really hard with my othern teeth) or put my nail inbetween my two front teeth and try seperate them.
Okay, summary done, onto the issue.
It's really starting to cause a lot of problems. My gums are constantly hurting and ittirating (which only makes me want to dig into them more) and now one tooth feels wobbly. Earlier today I grinded my teeth and I felt a bit of it come off).
WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?? A lot of forums say this could be an OCD or autistic trait, or am I just completely psycho?? Please give me help/ how to get help before i rip all my teeth out.
Reply 1
I would for sure go and speak to someone about this, whether it be a doctor or dentist. The doctor may be able to asses your situation and perhaps say why it is that you do this.. i dont really know but i do think its a good idea to speak to someone professional about it before it turns really bad.
Please see your GP. Maybe you can replace the compulsion with something less destructive. It probably is just a reaction to stress. You’re not ‘psycho’.
I just recently started having this urge too, I've tried googling why but I can't seem to find any answers. Please let me know if you've had any help or who you went to see!
Original post by Bebexo345
I just recently started having this urge too, I've tried googling why but I can't seem to find any answers. Please let me know if you've had any help or who you went to see!

Speak to your dentist or your doctor as this looks like it’s going to develop into a real problem.
You’ve already said your teeth and gums hurt.

Stop digging your nails into your gums, I know it’s an anxious reaction but the germs under your nails are spreading do your gums and it could become infected if not treated. You don’t want to get all sorts of nasty sores. When your eating, food passing the time could carry this infection, resulting in possible sepsis? But this is unlikely

Missing tooth could make the gum infected and other tooth will start to move out of shape. Just see your dentist and explain your problem!

Hope your relieved
Original post by Anonymous
I'm sure most people have things they do when they're stressed, agitated, or just bored, such as biting your nails etc. For me, I get the compulsion ti try and pull out my teeth. I don't know how to describe it, but sometimes I just feel like I *HAVE* to dig my nails into my gums, otherwise this feeling won't go away. A lot of the time I will viciously grind my teeth, but most commonly I grab my teeth and try and pull them out (either with my fingers or by pushing really hard with my othern teeth) or put my nail inbetween my two front teeth and try seperate them.
It's really starting to cause a lot of problems. My gums are constantly hurting and ittirating (which only makes me want to dig into them more) and now one tooth feels wobbly. Earlier today I grinded my teeth and I felt a bit of it come off).
WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?? A lot of forums say this could be an OCD or autistic trait, or am I just completely psycho?? Please give me help/ how to get help before i rip all my teeth out.

i chew out my lips. well, used to.

other people bite or pick at them. i gnaw on them until they are deeply filled with pus and unable to heal within a few days. i know how you feel; knowing that this is bad for you and that you HAVE to stop—but it's hard to.

prevention is better than cure. please, remember that. the only reason i stopped was because i got a lip infection from when i accidentally bit a super huge chunk out of my lower lip. causing weeks and weeks of torturous, healing process for me.i could barely talk. moving my lower part of my face hurt. it brought my already crippling self confidence, down. i didn't look or feel good.

and that is on my lips. imagine you going through that but on your teeth and gums. that is more severe than mine. please, i know it's hard but stop doing that. direct your stress, boredom and agitation into things that don't harm you. what helps me is air-drumming (because i like to drum) , whistling, fidget spinning, bopping your knees up and down. or you can do what you like, HEALTHY things like listening to music or reading. be busy. keep your hands busy so they don't busy themselves on your poor, poor gums.

do not trust any 'medical diagnosis' on the internet. only a certified GP should help you to figure out why you are doing that. don't label yourself as a psycho. please.

i am so so proud of you for coming here and realizing that this is becoming a problem. you care, enough for yourself to want to change before it's too late. and let me tell you, it's never too late to change. do it slowly day by day. i would say, "your friends and family should help you" but mine didn't help me when i was in a depressive time, so really, put some trust in yourself that you can stop this.

i believe in you. you are so strong and you will be okay. hugs. xx
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous

I too have started to have the literal same problems down to the urge to separate the teeth and if I'm correct its the bottom two as well. If you find anything please reply as I'd like to find a solution as well. Thank you. DABBY
Reply 7
HI there, not sure if anyone will see my see this message as this thread is old. But I’m having a similar urge but mine is to pull/tense my neck head and jaw. So much so that i’m starting to hurt myself and I just can’t seem to stop. I feel like I am going crazy! Did any of you find out what this is and is it mental health and if so what treatment helped. Many Thanks
Reply 8
Hi there, just come across this thread and don’t pull my teeth but over the last week or so I have an urge to constantly pull my neck, shoulder and jaw tight... it’s so strange I have to do it until it feels right! It’s completely taking over my life at the moment and I’m causing myself pain now by doing it bit can’t seem to stop. Not sure if you will see this message but if you found a solution for your problem please can you share as any advice would be greatly appreciated.Jane
me too, but for me it was a crooked front tooth. it went crooked due to overlap, pushed to the front, further than my other teeth. it got to the point where the right part of my lip now has a sort of tiny hole because of it. the tooth overlapped around either early or mid 2020, but happened for an unknown reason. by the time i found out, i couldn't help but start pulling it. instead of trying to pull it out, i pull it to try making it stop being crooked. it just ends up making it kind of more crooked, but despite that, i still keep on doing it. this has been happening for months, and to this day is still happening. i cant find any answers to what it may be
I have recently come off some strong medication for bipolar and have experienced the same symptoms! Naturally I assumed it was stress related however I also had some antibiotics for an infection (not related) and the urge to bite down hard, grind my tooth and pull it out went away? It has recently returned. So I’m going to see my GP about it for further investigation. I’m thinking it may be an abscess or an overgrown molar.
I was diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder and borderline personality disorder. I have just now literally pulled out my top right wisdom tooth. That is number three for me having pulled out teeth. I think I do this to myself because the pain gives me something to hyper-focus on. Normally my mind is running a thousand miles a second
Reply 12
Original post by Anonymous #1

I do the same .Mainly when I'm overtired

Quick Reply

Latest