The Student Room Group

Is Galloway A Crook?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

George Galloway has challenged US senators to charge him with perjury over claims that he solicited money from Saddam Hussein's oil-for-food programme and lied about it under oath.

The US Senate committee investigating the Respect MP's alleged involvement in the scandal claims to have discovered £85,000 ($150,000) in Iraqi oil money in his estranged wife's bank account.

And its chairman, Republican Senator Norm Coleman, says this means Mr Galloway lied under oath when giving evidence to the Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations on May 17 this year, when he offered a passionate defence against similar claims

But Mr Galloway repeated denials that he had ever received any oil cash, and told Mr Coleman to "put up or shut up" by either bringing a prosecution or dropping the allegations.

The Bethnal Green and Bow MP accused Mr Coleman of orchestrating a "sneak revenge attack" motivated by a desire to avenge his "humiliation" at the hearing in May.

"I am demanding prosecution, I am begging for prosecution," Mr Galloway told Sky News. "I am saying if I have lied under oath in front of the Senate, that's a criminal offence.

"Charge me and I will head for the airport right now and face them down in court as I faced them down in the Senate room.

"Because I publicly humiliated this lick-spittle Senator Norman Coleman - one of (President George) Bush's right-hand men - in the US Senate in May, this sneak revenge attack has been launched over the last 24 hours."

The committee's new report accuses Mr Galloway of personally soliciting and being granted eight oil allocations totalling 23 million barrels from Saddam's regime between 1999 and 2003.

It claims that his estranged wife, Dr Amineh Abu-Zayyad, received approximately £85,000 ($150,000) in connection with one allocation of oil.

And it alleges that at least £252,000 ($446,000) was funnelled to Mr Galloway's Mariam Appeal through several allocations.
__________________________________________________ ___________

Right in short do you think he's a Crook when concidering the new findings?

"I live in his constituency and i use to work with Oona King's campaign so im not claiming to be neutral but if he was charged and to be honest in americia it wouldn't matter if it was true or not could he still Keep his position as MP after being chaged? or would he have to be found Guilty?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What new finding? Have we seen them? No!

In fact, Mr. Galloway has said that if the Senate Committee are claiming that he or his ex wife have had payments put into their bank accounts by foreign nationals (presuming they are not FBI or CIA agents to discredit him!) then they are saying he was lying under oath when he denied it previously. He then went on to say that if they say he is guilty of perjury they must charge him, and he would get straight onto a plane to the US and appear in court to answer that charge.

Your poll options should be simply 'yes' or 'no' - you expose your bias by extending it.
Reply 2
How would anyone on here know? Northumbrian might have gotten close enough to see him take back-handers, but that's about it. It's really up to the courts to decide.
Reply 3
1) Read the post i havn't claimed to be neutral, I didn't actualy have to tell you whom I use to work for i choose to, i actualy even went as far as to say im not neutral

2) Im not voting because of that reason.

3) He claimed not to have benifited and if they "have evidence" then thats obviouly a lie. They wouln't say they had evidence unless they had something new to go on. If you read the post i said weither its true or not they have "something" and i asked people to cast an opinion on that speculation. Weither that "somthing" is ture or not is a irrvelavence. (sp)

4) "I notice you didn't answere the question". If his wife put money into "their bank accounts" from the Iraqi oil scandal then he's personaly benifited which means he's lied. "unless he had no idea that $150 thou went into his joint bank account. Possible i supose.
yawn
and appear in court to answer that charge.

He never "answered the charge" last time, he absolutely ignored the charge and went on about other things. As I said, "he avoided the questions like an anorexic avoids pies".
Reply 5
JonathanH
He never "answered the charge" last time, he absolutely ignored the charge and went on about other things. As I said, "he avoided the questions like an anorexic avoids pies".

Indeed, they just let him have a hour rant lol he didn't answere any questions at all with out a sarcastic commentry. Perosnaly I think he's had it if they have any sort of proof no matter how weak.

If there is any sort of link i think he'll be found guilty...surly if this is all coblers he could sue them for defamation of character
Reply 6
galloway is innocent
Reply 7
George Galloway is a penis.
Reply 8
Beekeeper
George Galloway is a penis.

and according to fundamentalist christians...penis = guilt!

its just waiting for it to happen....

(or, as i prefer to say...its easier to get forgiveness than permission)
i dont know if he's innocent or not, but if i had to support galloway or the US senators- well... then of course its galloway. there are plenty of crooks in america that havent been dealt with.. they should start looking a little closer to home if they want to un cover corruption
Reply 10
LMAO, did any of you see the interveiw on chanel four news just now?
...the words "as sin come to mind"

he actualy looked quite flustered which is strange for a inocent man,
Reply 11
I'm sure he's done something wrong.

I'm also fairly sure that if he had done the things he's been accused of and it could be proven then he' have criminal charges put on him, so probably innocent of the things he's currently accused of.
DemonDemonic

yea i have to admit that was quite odd..but then again, he is facing the whole of the US senate and i mean.. I WOULD be nervous, even if i wasnt guilty. america has the power to make anyone look guilty, and eventhough galloway may know hes not guilty- america are not a force to be reckoned with. its one man against the most powerful nation in the world- i think galloway was feelin just a tad outnumbered....
Reply 13
he came to my school the other week, and he seemed to be quite genuine. he was a big fat stupid idiot, but genuine.
gorbachev came to my school a few months ago.. he too was big and fat...

btw- its quite a lot to ask for a politician to be genuine.. so i at least 'respect' galloway for that.. (haha- get it... 'respect'...respect party??? ..... oh never mind)
Reply 15
DemonDemonic

Perhaps he looked flustered because he was incandescent with rage at the accusations.
--------------
chewwy
he was a big fat stupid idiot, but genuine.

Mmm....an intelligent idiot....mmm!
chewwy
he came to my school the other week, and he seemed to be quite genuine. he was a big fat stupid idiot, but genuine.

Hmm i wouldnt describe him like that? I don't think he's big and fat, not particularly stupid either....and hes genuine.
They did the same thing to Arthur Scargill over here - Galloway has never been found guilty of anything and all allegations made against him have been found to be baseless in court in the past. I understand that some of you don't like him and good for you, I don't like some of you, but it's pretty clear that there is no substance to any of this, else criminal charges would be pressed. The fact is, they're not trying to get him locked away, they're trying to destroy his credibility. Where there is a crime, there is a court case. The only court cases Galloway finds himself in are libel and slander ones, as the prosecution.
[QUOTE]
Tomorrow2Day
The fact is, they're not trying to get him locked away, they're trying to destroy his credibility.

very true... i say we take the american senators to court!! see how they like a taste of their own medicine..
lady_daisychain
yea i have to admit that was quite odd..but then again, he is facing the whole of the american supreme court

What the hell? Do you even know what the US Supreme Court is? Would you care to explain how they are involved?
--------------
Tomorrow2Day
but it's pretty clear that there is no substance to any of this, else criminal charges would be pressed.

Not at all. They could be waiting to file charges or waiting for more evidence to come to light or perhaps they don't want to create the storm that criminal charges would bring. Any number of reasons can be given for no criminal charges being pressed as of yet, it is silly to assume that this is because "there is no substance".

Tomorrow2Day
The only court cases Galloway finds himself in are libel and slander ones, as the prosecution.

That would be "claimant" (or to use the previous term "plaintiff"), not prosecution.

Latest

Trending

Trending