The Student Room Group

forensic psychology :)

hi i'm in the 12th grade and i want to study forensic psychology when i graduate. what do i need to study to achieve this goal and how long. What colleges do you recommend. btw is it alright i wanted to do this career because my mom is a lawyer and i got inspired from the show lie to me ? someone told me i might drop it because i only got it from a show. :frown:
12 grade? Are you American?
Reply 2
BPS accredited Psychology degree (choose modules in Forensic Psychology when applicable), then go for a BPS accredited Forensic Psychology Masters and onwards.

The straight Psychology course as your undergraduate degree instead of a Forensic Psychology undergraduate course in case you find it's not the right area for you.

During your undergraduate degree, you would be well advised to apply to the prison-run Psychology work experience schemes.

I suppose you're American with your '12th grade' and 'which college', if you're studying in the UK go by the best known and rated university departments that you can achieve with your grades.

A final point, Forensic Psychology doesn't involve learning how to be the guy you see in Lie To Me. You won't learn how to tell if people are lying.
(edited 13 years ago)
Also keep in mind that the MSc route will probably be replaced by a doctorate by the time you get there, OP.

Original post by aliluvschoc

A final point, Forensic Psychology doesn't involve learning how to be the guy you see in Lie To Me. You won't learn how to tell if people are lying.

It mostly involves being masturbated and pissed on by criminals who don't want to be rehabilitated, as I have been told by a few forensic psychs.

I couldn't think of a more miserable job, tbh.
Reply 4
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Also keep in mind that the MSc route will probably be replaced by a doctorate by the time you get there, OP.

It mostly involves being masturbated and pissed on by criminals who don't want to be rehabilitated, as I have been told by a few forensic psychs.

I couldn't think of a more miserable job, tbh.

A lot of prisoners are willing to work with you positively, particularly first-time offenders, or those who have been shown no other way before. Prison officers get most of the **** and piss.

I personally would go down the route of working with juvenile offenders which is just so much more interesting. Though going through the clinical route would make me able to work with the kids properly. I'm doing one or two experience schemes in a prison (Exeter) myself so I'm somehow hoping I can combine the two.

It all just takes such god damn a long time.
Reply 5
If you do apply for it, when writing your personal statement do not write anything about getting the idea from a tv show. When I was applying they said they'd reject a lot of people who said that. So make sure you have (or make up) how you got interested in it in a way that is not related to the media.
Reply 6
hey thanks guys i was really lost. Yes i am in the 12th grade but no im from the Bahamas New providence born and raised. Was looking at Florida institute of technology and American university are those any good for studying forensic psychology?
Original post by djloverboy
hey thanks guys i was really lost. Yes i am in the 12th grade but no im from the Bahamas New providence born and raised. Was looking at Florida institute of technology and American university are those any good for studying forensic psychology?

You're better off posting on a US forum tbh. Most of the students here are from the UK and won't know much about the American system or how they train forensic psychs.
Reply 8
@ GodspeedGehenna

aw yea well what will i learn if its not about telling persons are telling a lie or reading facial expressions micro expressions? what is it about educate me
Reply 9
@ Godspeedgehenna

ok can u give me a US forum link for forensic psychology plz thanks :smile:
@ GodspeedGehenna

aw yea well what will i learn if its not about telling persons are telling a lie or reading facial expressions micro expressions? what is it about educate me

Oh dear god. Buy yourself a forensic psych text. I think you will be very surprised.
@ Godspeedgehenna

ok can u give me a US forum link for forensic psychology plz thanks :smile:

No. Do it yourself.
Reply 12
@ GodspeedGehenna

Forensic Psychology.
Reply 13
:| :? :/ i did that
Reply 14
why do you think i asked u on a forum if i coulve jus google it
Reply 15
Most television programmes about Forensic Psychology are wholly unrealistic, let alone a programme that has almost nothing to do with Forensic Psychology. It's an incredibly competitive profession that is nothing like what is portrayed in the media and mostly involves working in prisons. 'Detective' Forensic Psychology - your micro-expressions and telling if someone is lying - is almost non-existent. You do not 'learn' how to tell if someone is lying. Argh I could rant about this for a while so I'm reining myself in. The media portrays this stuff in a completely wrong way. It's like people going into medicine because they like Scrubs.

Basically, buy yourself a nice book on popular psychology which will be fascinating and tell you all about the stuff you're interested in but will be completely un-scientific and nothing to do with Forensic Psychology. Sorry to burst the bubble.
Reply 16
oh ok well that open my eyes a lot thanks melana :smile: . any books you recommend in particular?
oh ok well that open my eyes a lot thanks melana :smile: . any books you recommend in particular?

Can you not do anything yourself you lazy ****er?
Reply 18

here you go :smile:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=forensic+psychology+books
Reply 19
@ GodspeedGehenna

You've got to be kidding me..

Quick Reply

Latest