The Student Room Group

Is a forensic psychologist a good job?

Hello, I am considering doing a Psychology degree at uni. I was always fascinated by offenders' behaviour and the psychology behind that. I have studied Psycholoy at A level , and the the Forensoc Psychology section was interesting. So I am considering becoming a Forensic Psychologist. Would you guys reccommend it?
Original post by Sunnight
Hello, I am considering doing a Psychology degree at uni. I was always fascinated by offenders' behaviour and the psychology behind that. I have studied Psycholoy at A level , and the the Forensoc Psychology section was interesting. So I am considering becoming a Forensic Psychologist. Would you guys reccommend it?

Hi,

I totally understand your excitement and interest. I feel a similar way :colone: However, to decide whether you want to take this career path, I would take some other factors into consideration. People's recommendations might not be the best and most helpful in a decision like that. The job choice is extremely individual, and the satisfaction depends on many aspects.

Having an interest in a field is a great starting point to figure out what is the best career path for you. Another step is to dive into the topic a little bit more. By that, I mean to do a detailed research. Read some articles devoted to Forensic Psychology, maybe even some bits of a textbook, in order to see whether it is really something that interests you. Check out available courses and their structure. Most of the time, you will have to start a Psychology degree. Only then, at the final stage of your studies, you can choose modules, including Forensic Psychology. Are you fine with learning all other psychological modules? Do they also seem interesting?

Sometimes universities, like De Montfort University, offer degrees in Psychology with Criminology or Criminology with Psychology. These courses have a different structure because they focus more on the forensic side of Psychology. Therefore, it is worth considering which option will be more interesting and useful for you. If you have an educational or career advisor at your school, I encourage you to make an appointment. They will help you find the information you need and provide advice on choosing the right academic and career path.

Finally, check out what job options are available after your chosen degree. Read carefully descriptions to decide what you can imagine yourself doing. When choosing a field of study, this long-sightedness is the key. As a result, you will figure out the best path for yourself and join successful and satisfied adults.

I hope you will find that helpful! Feel free to reach out if you have any questions :wink: You can also chat with me and other student ambassadors through The Ambassador Platform.

Take care,

Julia :h:
Psychology student
De Montfort University
I guess the first question to ask would be what draws you to working in forensic psychology? The reality is often very different to people's perceptions

Quick Reply

Latest