The Student Room Group

BSc vs. BEng

Hello!

I`m applying for September 2011 and I would like to know the difference between the aforementioned programmes.
What`s the difference between the BSc and the BEng in regard to the taught courses and the employment possibilities after graduation. Are the courses taught the same, BSc being more focused on the theoretical aspects and the BEng on more practical ones, or the taught courses differ at each one?

Which one do you suggest choosing?

Thanks in advance for your concern!
Reply 1
Perhaps you could link us to the course(s) that you're interested in - they should show the content of the degree(s) you're looking at.

To be honest though, often BSc/BEng are very similar.
Reply 2
Original post by zalman
Hello!

I`m applying for September 2011 and I would like to know the difference between the aforementioned programmes.
What`s the difference between the BSc and the BEng in regard to the taught courses and the employment possibilities after graduation. Are the courses taught the same, BSc being more focused on the theoretical aspects and the BEng on more practical ones, or the taught courses differ at each one?

Which one do you suggest choosing?

Thanks in advance for your concern!

Virtually identical in terms of course content and graduate employment potential.

Strictly, BEng degrees have to be accredited by an engineering body (typically BCS or IET). This means that a BEng course has to cover certain topics like professional practice/ ethics, and there could be small restrictions on the type of projects available (eg, you have to have n hours of team assessments). These are *really* minor and you might need to do fulfil for a BSc anyway.

For the most part, they'll be identical, and you should be picking the right department, rather than looking at the degree honorary. If it's identical BSc and BEng courses at the same uni, go for the BEng -- it may give you a slight leg up in professional accreditation in the future.

Best of luck with your application.
Reply 3
Original post by Wookie42
Perhaps you could link us to the course(s) that you're interested in - they should show the content of the degree(s) you're looking at.

To be honest though, often BSc/BEng are very similar.

I am applying for computer science and I have the following choices:

1. Univ of Edinburgh - BSc(G400) or BEng (G401)
2. Glasgow University - BSc (G400)
3. UCL - BSc (G400)
4. Manchester University - BSc(G400) or BSc with Industrial Experience (G405)

And I also need your advice for the fifth choice . Which one do you suggest picking between

Sheffield - MComp(G400) and Bristol - BSc(G400)

Thus, which course would you choose at the uni`s where there are two possibilities and which one would be your fifth choice?

Thanks for your help! :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by zalman

3. UCL - BSc (G400)

And I also need your advice for the fifth choice . Which one do you suggest picking between

Thus, which course would you choose at the uni`s where there are two possibilities and which one would be your fifth choice?

My advice:

1) Go for the BEng.
2) Make sure you get a year in industry (absolutely invaluable experience)
Original post by zalman

3. UCL - BSc (G400)

You'll have to check the syllabus to see the differences, there are probably very few.
Bristol over Sheffield.
Bcom General..??? What can my daughter archieve

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending