The Student Room Group

Masters with a 3rd class degree

As a result of struggling with anxiety and depression in my final year, I finished with a 3rd class degree in my product design degree, I have 1 year work experience as a Free lance designer a doctors note and a reference from my tutor and my counsellor. Can anyone give me some advise on applying for a master or bettering my degree, I'm panicking about this a lot. Obviously with all that's happening my mental health issues aren't getting any better.my goal is to study branding and identity at Nottingham Trent. Can anyone help?
Original post by Samuel.G
As a result of struggling with anxiety and depression in my final year, I finished with a 3rd class degree in my product design degree, I have 1 year work experience as a Free lance designer a doctors note and a reference from my tutor and my counsellor. Can anyone give me some advise on applying for a master or bettering my degree, I'm panicking about this a lot. Obviously with all that's happening my mental health issues aren't getting any better.my goal is to study branding and identity at Nottingham Trent. Can anyone help?

1. I would have asked for extenuating circumstances dropped out of 3rd year and retaken.

2. I dont see you getting on a masters, unless your tutors reference was extremely persuasive and you had socred high marks during a significant part of your degree but fell apart at the end. Your best chance of doing an MA is with your original uni where they know you.

3. You need to get your mental health issues sorted out before going anywhere imo or it will end in tears again.

4. You can try contacting the course organiser direct and see if they are sympathetic.

5. Better than a masters imo would be a senior degree somewhere, but youd need to find funding. That would be 2 years but you could then get a grade again.
I am sorry but I think it's very unlikely that you will get into Master's simply because you don't have enough evidence to show that you are qualified enough. Because of the unfortunate circumstances, you have been unable to study well and perform at a satisfactory level a during your third year. Which means you probably aren't ready to do Master's. You have some other options though so don't worry:
You can convince your uni to let you repeat the third year.
You can do an alternative postgraduate certificate that is not at the same level as Master's
You can start another undergraduate degree and start from the second year
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
1. I would have asked for extenuating circumstances dropped out of 3rd year and retaken.

2. I dont see you getting on a masters, unless your tutors reference was extremely persuasive and you had socred high marks during a significant part of your degree but fell apart at the end. Your best chance of doing an MA is with your original uni where they know you.

3. You need to get your mental health issues sorted out before going anywhere imo or it will end in tears again.

4. You can try contacting the course organiser direct and see if they are sympathetic.

5. Better than a masters imo would be a senior degree somewhere, but youd need to find funding. That would be 2 years but you could then get a grade again.

Thank you so much for this advise my current university is Nottingham Trent it self
Thank you so much for this advise my current university is Nottingham Trent it self

Its a difficult situation. maybe get your lecturer to talk to the person in charge of the course. I honestly think a senior degree is better, but that is an extra year. You can make a request for compelling personal reasons to SFE.

I am serious about you getting yourself better though as its not recognising the signs and trying to carry on when you are ill which has caused your problem.
Reply 5
Original post by TrotskyiteRebel
I am sorry but I think it's very unlikely that you will get into Master's simply because you don't have enough evidence to show that you are qualified enough. Because of the unfortunate circumstances, you have been unable to study well and perform at a satisfactory level a during your third year. Which means you probably aren't ready to do Master's. You have some other options though so don't worry:
You can convince your uni to let you repeat the third year.
You can do an alternative postgraduate certificate that is not at the same level as Master's
You can start another undergraduate degree and start from the second year

I did try to resit but I was told because I passed and submitted my final work, they couldn't accept me in.
Reply 6
Contrary to the prevailing TSR myth, a master's is not some kind of flesh-coloured band-aid one applies to a mediocre first degree in order to render oneself magically 'good as 2.1'. Focus on getting well, then, get a job.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Profesh
Contrary to the prevailing TSR myth, a master's is not some kind of flesh-coloured band-aid one applies to a mediocre first degree in order to render oneself magically 'good as 2.1'. Focus on getting well, then, get a job.

The thing is I know I am very capable the master I'm hoping to do is in branding and identity, which would help me set up my business
Reply 8
The thing is I know I am very capable the master I'm hoping to do is in branding and identity, which would help me set up my business

This is the era of Google, Quora, Reddit, Wikipedia, TED, Khan Academy, electronic reading-lists and freely downloadable e-books encompassing just about every facet of human knowledge and experience; if you honestly think a £5,000 piece of paper is prerequisite to gaining a practical foundation in something as nebulous and decidedly non-technical as "branding and identity", then you've manifestly failed at business.
Reply 9
Original post by Profesh
This is the era of Google, Quora, Reddit, Wikipedia, TED, Khan Academy, electronic reading-lists and freely downloadable e-books encompassing just about every facet of human knowledge and experience; if you honestly think a £5,000 piece of paper is prerequisite to gaining a practical foundation in something as nebulous and decidedly non-technical as "branding and identity", then you've manifestly failed at business.

Understandable
Original post by Profesh

Rubbish! I will argue that it can make up for poor undergraduate performance, it depends on the situation, the subject and the industry.

Lets work with an Engineering example....

(I will leave it to the reader to be familiar with BEng vs MEng vs MSc)

Candidate 1: MEng @ 2.1
Y1: 65%, Y2: 55%, Y3: 45%, Y4: 85%
total: 63%
Candidate 2: BEng @ 3.0 + MSc @ Distinction
Y1: 65%, Y2: 55%, Y3: 45%, Y4 (MSc): 85%
total: 48.3% & 85%

Degree classifications are typically calculated with following weightings:

BEng:
Y1: 0%
Y2: 33.33%
Y3: 66.66%

MEng:
Y2: 20.00%
Y3: 40.00%
Y4: 40.00%

MSc:
Y4: 100.00%

So......

Assumptions:
1) BEng + MSc are in same subject (i.e. Mechanical Engineering)
2) MEng = BEng + 120 credits (L7)
3) MSc = MEng (Yr4) + 60 credits (L7)

IGNORING the fact that the MSc is MORE work than MEng Yr 4 (i.e. 180 vs 120 credits), using the classification weightings and assumptions above....

The candidates are academically equal in every way.

Technically, candidate 2 is better qualified overall even if they have a THIRD at undergrad!!

Snobbery is the only thing that will prevent these 2 candidate from being compared fairly as the 3.0 for Y1 - Y3 isn't hidden within an MEng wrapper.

Obviously, the difficulty in all this will be getting onto an MSc with a third on your CV.....but it hasn't stopped me and many others (even for PhD study!).

Read here for more:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3419771&page=3
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 11
[Q9UOTE]Rubbish! I will argue that it can make up for poor undergraduate performance, it depends on the situation, the subject and the industry.

Lets work with an Engineering example....

(I will leave it to the reader to be familiar with BEng vs MEng vs MSc)

Candidate 1: MEng @ 2.1
Y1: 65%, Y2: 55%, Y3: 45%, Y4: 85%
total: 63%
Candidate 2: BEng @ 3.0 + MSc @ Distinction
Y1: 65%, Y2: 55%, Y3: 45%, Y4 (MSc): 85%
total: 48.3% & 85%

Degree classifications are typically calculated with following weightings:

BEng:
Y2: 33.33%
Y3: 66.66%

MEng:
Y2: 20.00%
Y3: 40.00%
Y4: 40.00%

MSc:
Y4: 100.00%

So......

Assumptions:
1) BEng + MSc are in same subject (i.e. Mechanical Engineering)
2) MEng = BEng + 120 credits (L7)
3) MSc = MEng (Yr4) + 60 credits (L7)

IGNORING the fact that the MSc is MORE work than MEng Yr 4 (i.e. 180 vs 120 credits), using the classification weightings and assumptions above....

The candidates are academically equal in every way.

Technically, candidate 2 is better qualified overall even if they have a THIRD at undergrad!!

Snobbery is the only thing that will prevent these 2 candidate from being compared fairly as the 3.0 for Y1 - Y3 isn't hidden within an MEng wrapper.

Obviously, the difficulty in all this will be getting onto an MSc with a third on your CV.....but it hasn't stopped me and many others (even for PhD study!).

Read here for more:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3419771&page=3
This is the inspiration i really needed thank you.
Reply 12
Thank you to all in this thread for your advice, it really helped. I did manage to get onto a masters degree and I am due to be graduating with a Distinction in MSc Entrepreneurship from Nottingham Trent University.
Massive congrats and thanks for the update.

This thread must have meant something to you for you to remember it AND bother updating us!!

Now it’s your turn to inspire others!
well done on making something good out of a bad situation :smile:
Reply 15
nice one bro
Thank you to all in this thread for your advice, it really helped. I did manage to get onto a masters degree and I am due to be graduating with a Distinction in MSc Entrepreneurship from Nottingham Trent University.

Hi, I’m in the same position you were 5 years ago. How did you manage to get on to do your masters at Nottingham Trent. I’m currently there and want to do my masters too but my grades aren’t the best.
Reply 17

Thanks I needed this!

Quick Reply

Latest