The Student Room Group

13th Jan - OCR Gateway Biology B1 B2 B3

How did everyone find it?
I thought it was easier than a few of the past papers. Bit of a weird question on mammoths and elephants and their chromosomes :lolwut:

Edit: changed the title to specify that I'm talking about Gateway, not 21st Century Science :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
Found it alright, some of the questions were weirded so strangely which was frustating! Nothing I can do now if I haven't done well, but I finished after 20 minutes and just continued checking through. Slightly worried I've made some daft mistakes, I'm prone to them :redface:
I found it rather easy actually, and checked about half the paper with the 10 minutes I had left over :smile: Not as easy as some other past papers, but not as hard as the CGP Practice Papers. For the question that wanted you to select the two incorrect sentences, did you all select sentence 3 & 5? And for the protein question, did you all put enzymes and structural proteins, and that structural proteins make up skin, hair, blood, and that enzymes control all the chemical reactions in an organism? That's pretty much all I can remember, and now I ernestly await the C1 C2 C3 exam on Monday 17th, and the P1 P2 P3 exam on Wednesday 26th. Good luck everyone! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by ArtisticFlair
I found it rather easy actually, and checked about half the paper with the 10 minutes I had left over :smile: Not as easy as some other past papers, but not as hard as the CGP Practice Papers. For the question that wanted you to select the two incorrect sentences, did you all select sentence 3 & 5? And for the protein question, did you all put enzymes and structural proteins, and that structural proteins make up skin, hair, blood, and that enzymes control all the chemical reactions in an organism?

I did :smile: was actually quite miffed at the number of 'ticky box' questions there was, I was all prepared for a lot of writing! I'm not looking forward to the Chemistry, find it the hardest by far but doing past papers I'm getting good marks (41/42, 38/42, 35/42 and 33/42). I guess it's just how I feel on the day - today I felt like I could take on the world (or at least a biology paper) :biggrin:
Ahh me too. I'm freaked out over Chemistry and Physics. I'll probably just memorise the CGP revision book, and regurgitate facts on the day onto the paper :smile: and I'll do as many practice papers as I can, and won't stop until I have 39 or 40/42!!! Good luck anyways :wink:
Reply 5
Original post by ArtisticFlair
Ahh me too. I'm freaked out over Chemistry and Physics. I'll probably just memorise the CGP revision book, and regurgitate facts on the day onto the paper :smile: and I'll do as many practice papers as I can, and won't stop until I have 39 or 40/42!!! Good luck anyways :wink:

And to you too!
Reply 6
Tick boxes? Proteins? Are we definitely talking about OCR gateway, because I do not remember those questions, lol . . . My exam was on elephant chromosomes and stuff like the OP's =D
BTW, what did people write for whether or not oxygen diffused into the alveoli? I said yes because diffusion occurs both ways, but most people i know said no =(
Reply 7
Original post by KiwiBerry
Tick boxes? Proteins? Are we definitely talking about OCR gateway, because I do not remember those questions, lol . . . My exam was on elephant chromosomes and stuff like the OP's =D
BTW, what did people write for whether or not oxygen diffused into the alveoli? I said yes because diffusion occurs both ways, but most people i know said no =(

21st Century Science :s-smilie:
Reply 8
Did anyone have to change 'loose' to 'lose' at the start, it was so funny! can ocr seriously not spell lose?
Reply 9
Original post by climberkid
Did anyone have to change 'loose' to 'lose' at the start, it was so funny! can ocr seriously not spell lose?

Yeah, we had to do that too . . . I was more interested at looking at the questions than correcting the error though, really :wink:
Reply 10
Yeah, we had to do that too . . . I was more interested at looking at the questions than correcting the error though, really :wink:

It's like a one minute advantage though ahah :wink:
Reply 11
I didn't get the one about how you had to explain DNA replication. :/
Does anyone know what the grade boundaries are going to be for the OCR 21st century test to get an A* cos i know that i've probably dropped at least 5 marks (from what i know), so i'm kinda getting worried about it because i've seen past papers on the OCR website that require you to get 41/42 for an A*!! :L It was mainly the sensory neurone question that really confused me :L :L
Reply 13
^ The past papers in the old way they used to do them (multiple choice galore) is around 40/42 for an A* yeah, but the new way (extended answers) which was introduced a year ago, required 32/42 for an A*. I expect it to be a little higher this year though.

I got confused on that one too, lol. All the others weren't too bad, but there was loads of "choose each correct answer" tick-box questions, which meant I may have ticked some which were just slightly wrong and I didn't realise. Oh well.
Reply 14

I put "no, because carbon dioxide diffuses into the alveoli" or something like that :confused:
Original post by plainsong
^ The past papers in the old way they used to do them (multiple choice galore) is around 40/42 for an A* yeah, but the new way (extended answers) which was introduced a year ago, required 32/42 for an A*. I expect it to be a little higher this year though.

I got confused on that one too, lol. All the others weren't too bad, but there was loads of "choose each correct answer" tick-box questions, which meant I may have ticked some which were just slightly wrong and I didn't realise. Oh well.

Thanx :biggrin: yeah, if it's around 32 then it should be OK, fingers crossed :smile: Hope everyone gets the mark that they want!! :biggrin: xx
lol im confused this thread is about gateway and 21st :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending