The Student Room Group

Official: King's College London A100 2024 Entry Applicants

Welcome to the King's College London A100 2024 Entry Discussion.

2023 thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7214351

For general information click: https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergra.../medicine-mbbs

For entry requirements click: https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergra...y-requirements

Selection process: Generally, UCAT score accounted for 50% of the ranking, GCSE Individual and School performance, 40% and other widening participation factors, 10%. The UCAT score is calculated by multiplying their UCAT score percentile rank (compared to other KCL applicants in that cycle) by 100 with points added according to the SJT Band: 10 points for Band 1, 5 for Band 2, and 0 for Bands 3 and 4. For GCSEs, points were awarded according to the number of A*s achieved at GCSE (subject is not considered). Less than 5 scored 0, 5 scored 10, 6 scored 20, 7 scored 30, 8+ scored 40. Scores were adjusted according to the GCSE attainment quintile of the school. If the school performance sat within one of the lowest two quintiles, then we also counted A grades achieved at GCSE towards the A* count mentioned above. For schools in the 3rd quintile, each A grade is considered equivalent to 0.5 of an A*. For schools in the top two quintiles, no adjustment is made. Note that this scoring system is reviewed each cycle and may not remain the same.

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for, advertise or mention group chats.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chandira
I have 2910 band 2 and 888777766 for GSCE, is it advisable to apply to KCL. I got predicted A*A*A for my A Level.

you only have 3a*s at gcse, so i don’t think it would be unfortunately
Reply 2
Sorry, have been spooked by another thread. V helpful Ganymede (know that’s not it, but at a quick glance that’s what stuck!) said it’d prob be ok to try King’s with:

6 x 9s (incl sciences)
4 x 8s
2860 band 1
Lots of work experience
A*A*A
No contextual

Son has had a really tough holiday, with three weeks of UCAT prep then working stupid hours in an attempt to save up some cash so he can do less paid work over exams / term time, hence my fretting on his behalf. He hasn’t even started to think strategically yet, just keen on King’s, Sheffield and Leeds. I fear he may need a safer option too, especially if others think King’s is a no and he may well be under the cut off for Sheffield this year - if they keep going up. Do you think Leeds will pinch some Sheffield applicants now it’s UCAT? Crystal ball anyone????
Original post by MotherDuck
Sorry, have been spooked by another thread. V helpful Ganymede (know that’s not it, but at a quick glance that’s what stuck!) said it’d prob be ok to try King’s with:

6 x 9s (incl sciences)
4 x 8s
2860 band 1
Lots of work experience
A*A*A
No contextual

Son has had a really tough holiday, with three weeks of UCAT prep then working stupid hours in an attempt to save up some cash so he can do less paid work over exams / term time, hence my fretting on his behalf. He hasn’t even started to think strategically yet, just keen on King’s, Sheffield and Leeds. I fear he may need a safer option too, especially if others think King’s is a no and he may well be under the cut off for Sheffield this year - if they keep going up. Do you think Leeds will pinch some Sheffield applicants now it’s UCAT? Crystal ball anyone????

kings and leeds should be fine, as he has max gcse points. sheffield riskier though as he is only 10pts over last years cutoff. maybe look at nottingham/lincoln/hyms - calculate the score for these - and there are many other safer options too.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 4
Is there any time pre application when you can get a sense of whether scores have gone up or not? I know that historically they usually have, but I’m an optimist! Also hoping that Leeds going UCAT might dilute those applying to Sheffield. Won’t be able to tell though. Really is a tricky process to navigate.
I don’t understand Hull/York. Do you do part of the course in each? Will go off and google before I rightly get told off for being lazy : )
Is there any time pre application when you can get a sense of whether scores have gone up or not? I know that historically they usually have, but I’m an optimist! Also hoping that Leeds going UCAT might dilute those applying to Sheffield. Won’t be able to tell though. Really is a tricky process to navigate.
I don’t understand Hull/York. Do you do part of the course in each? Will go off and google before I rightly get told off for being lazy : )

for hull york you get allocated either hull or york and you stay there for the rest of the degree. you can gauge if scores have gone up or not by looking at the preliminary deciles and compare them to last year’s prelim deciles. the prelim deciles are usually higher than the official ones though.
Reply 6
Thanks, have just read that and I’d find that really unsettling! Do students enjoy move cities equally? Or as I suspect, does Hull feel like the booby prize? Near the sea, I suppose.

I assume the final ones go down as those that aren’t scoring so well push back their test dates?

Do you think the fact that Leeds will no longer be BMAT will mean that it splits the Leeds / Sheffield field, or am I just being ridiculously optimistic?

He’s keen not to do BMAT, as he needs to focus on A levels when back at college in Sept and for some reason is anti PBL. Also keen on dissection. So hard with so many moving parts.
Thanks, have just read that and I’d find that really unsettling! Do students enjoy move cities equally? Or as I suspect, does Hull feel like the booby prize? Near the sea, I suppose.

I assume the final ones go down as those that aren’t scoring so well push back their test dates?

Do you think the fact that Leeds will no longer be BMAT will mean that it splits the Leeds / Sheffield field, or am I just being ridiculously optimistic?

He’s keen not to do BMAT, as he needs to focus on A levels when back at college in Sept and for some reason is anti PBL. Also keen on dissection. So hard with so many moving parts.

you might be re leeds/sheffield, but sheffield cutoff will probably still rise if only by a little bit. notts looks a good option then as they do full body dissection.
Reply 8

Sorry to jump in but we thought through the hull/york dilemma when deciding where to apply. If you think about it like this, not knowing where you would get is less of an issue:

1.) If you do get an offer and it is for your favourite out of the two, then great (you are told at the offer point)
2.) If you get an offer for your least favourite and other offers from unis that you prefer, then go ahead and choose somewhere else. Also great.
3.) As 2.) but with no other offers, then great again! You'll be grateful you applied to hyms.

We did visit hull medical school and it seemed v supportive but didn't apply in end. It does work well for your sons stats though (as per notts/lincs as noted).

As on kings thread if you've not seen it there is an excellent post on their scoring (outlined in start of this thread also) https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=98755415&postcount=576 and hopefully helps confirm picture.

On the leeds/sheffield, leeds looks better bet for son I would say, given gcses. Sheffield may well be ok but you would have to regard as may be borderline to interview.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 9
Justapapa - all very helpful and a logical approach, thank you.
Sorry Justapapa, VR was unexpectedly low, so he’s concerned about Notts.
Would 136 be enough, do you think? I have no yard stick!
Thanks very much
Sorry Justapapa, VR was unexpectedly low, so he’s concerned about Notts.
Would 136 be enough, do you think? I have no yard stick!
Thanks very much

Yes very safe to interview. Last year's cut off was 129.

My daughter actually had that 136 score 2 years ago. She similarly said VR and how some other ucat scores fell relative to crude bands didn't help her score, and so had similar concern. However ultimately it doesn't matter how the score is made up if well into 130s. It's difficult to have v strong gcses, band 1 and strong ucat, so hence why would view as definite safe to interview. (DD did apply there in end with interview/offer.)
(edited 8 months ago)
I’d love to know where your daughter ended up, if not too nosey?! Or indeed, if she’s changed her mind entirely and has gone for the easy option of PPE at Oxford instead. Wouldn’t be surprised.
I’d love to know where your daughter ended up, if not too nosey?! Or indeed, if she’s changed her mind entirely and has gone for the easy option of PPE at Oxford instead. Wouldn’t be surprised.

Newcastle for medicine and she has loved it, balancing the work and non work!
Glad to hear it, it’s meant to be such a fun place.
Glad to hear it, it’s meant to be such a fun place.

yes indeed! She didn't qualify for it but it is worth seeing if can qualify for their partners programme (it has lower ucat cut off and grade requirement, but you need to attend summer school which is a few days to a week, I think) - there is quite a broad range of potential ways to qualify. (On notts think he may actually be 134, dropping 2 points on gcses, 8 on VR, 2 DM, 4 QR and 2 AR so 18 dropped points out of 152 max - that's joining dots!! Still v safe to interview.)
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 16
Hi, I got 2760 Band 3 in my UCAT:

620 = VR
650 = DM
610 = QR
880 = AR

My current A-Level preds are A* AA, and my GCSEs are 9887777654. Am I competitive enough for an interview? Or should I apply for EDMP
Reply 17
Original post by reubenn05
kings and leeds should be fine, as he has max gcse points. sheffield riskier though as he is only 10pts over last years cutoff. maybe look at nottingham/lincoln/hyms - calculate the score for these - and there are many other safer options too.

hi i got 8A* for my gcses and im predicted A*A*A* for A Levels but my UCAT score is really low like 2600 ish in the mocks and a band 2 , do you think i have a shot at Kings for dentistry?
Original post by TSRorist
Hi, I got 2760 Band 3 in my UCAT:

620 = VR
650 = DM
610 = QR
880 = AR

My current A-Level preds are A* AA, and my GCSEs are 9887777654. Am I competitive enough for an interview? Or should I apply for EDMP

unfortunately you wouldn't be competitive for a100, and for emdp i don't know what kind of scores are needed, so have a look at last year's thread to get some idea
Original post by ridarana
hi i got 8A* for my gcses and im predicted A*A*A* for A Levels but my UCAT score is really low like 2600 ish in the mocks and a band 2 , do you think i have a shot at Kings for dentistry?

if the score required for dentistry is anything like it is for medicine, then no, as you really need a ucat of over 2800 if you have max gcse points.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending