The Student Room Group

Official: University of East Anglia (UEA) A100 2023 Entry

Welcome to the University of East Anglia (UEA) A100 2023 Entry Discussion.

Offer Holders thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7316258&page=2

For general information click:
https://www2.uea.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/degree/detail/mbbs-medicine
For entry requirements click:
https://www2.uea.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/degree/detail/mbbs-medicine#requirements_2

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for, mention or advertise group chats.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hey guys, i will be starting uni in 2023 and i want to prepare this year so i am a bit ready next year since i got nothing to do but thing is i heard that medical books are kinda useless and that there is other recources that can be used that are more useful for the final exam. Can anyone please let me know how i can prepare for year 1 please? I would really appreciate it.
Reply 2
Hi

what was interviews to offers ratio in 2022?
Reply 3
Original post by khangee
Hi

what was interviews to offers ratio in 2022?

I don't think we have figures for 2022, but it was an odd year and 2023 should be more like previous years. In 2020 there were 938 interviews and 538 offers, so expect around 60%.
Reply 4
Hello all,

I got 2720 B1.
GCSE'S - Maths - 9
Bio,chem,physics -9
Geo,Compsci-9
Eng lang,lit - 7
French - 6
Further maths - 7

A Levels
BIO CHEM PHYSICS - A*A*A*

WEX - 1 WEEK HOSPITAL AND GP
Part time job

Is it safe to apply here or are there better options that would guarantee me an interview?
Reply 5
Original post by mo.aden
Hello all,

I got 2720 B1.
GCSE'S - Maths - 9
Bio,chem,physics -9
Geo,Compsci-9
Eng lang,lit - 7
French - 6
Further maths - 7

A Levels
BIO CHEM PHYSICS - A*A*A*

WEX - 1 WEEK HOSPITAL AND GP
Part time job

Is it safe to apply here or are there better options that would guarantee me an interview?

Should be fine. With all those 9s and a band 1 Nottingham and Lincoln may be good too.
Reply 6
Original post by TCL
Should be fine. With all those 9s and a band 1 Nottingham and Lincoln may be good too.

Thank you so much. I have 124 points for Nottingham and have heard it may be risky to apply here as cutoffs may increase. I don't understand how Lincoln scores their applicants and seems vague to me. Would ARU alongside Cardiff and Plymouth be alright?
Reply 7
Original post by mo.aden
Thank you so much. I have 124 points for Nottingham and have heard it may be risky to apply here as cutoffs may increase. I don't understand how Lincoln scores their applicants and seems vague to me. Would ARU alongside Cardiff and Plymouth be alright?

Are you sure you only get 124 for Nottingham? You get 28 for GCSEs and 60 for SJT, what was the split on your UCAT?
Lincoln use the same scoring algorithm as Nottingham, but have a lower cut off.

ARU and Plymouth should be fine, but definitely not Cardiff unless you are Welsh or contextual as you need full points for GCSEs.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 8
Original post by TCL
Are you sure you only get 124 for Nottingham? You get 28 for GCSEs and 60 for SJT, what was the split on your UCAT?
Lincoln use the same scoring algorithm as Nottingham, but have a lower cut off.

ARU and Plymouth should be fine, but definitely not Cardiff unless you are Welsh or contextual as you need full points for GCSEs.

I got VR 620 DM 700 QR 690 AR 710
Only reason why I'm applying to Cardiff is cause I got a guaranteed interview from them
I think you get 130 points - the cut off last year was somewhere between 127 and 129 (its not terribly clear) so you're over last year's cut off - not massively so - but still ahead. Depends whether you think its risky - likely that cut off may go up, particularly if the % of SJ1s goes up.
Reply 10
Original post by mo.aden
I got VR 620 DM 700 QR 690 AR 710
Only reason why I'm applying to Cardiff is cause I got a guaranteed interview from them

You get 129 points for Nottingham, maybe you forgot to double VR? So could be marginal but Lincoln is safe.

UEA, ARU, Lincoln, Plymouth all safe, and Cardiff if you have a guaranteed interview, so you can choose.
Original post by TCL
You get 129 points for Nottingham, maybe you forgot to double VR? So could be marginal but Lincoln is safe.

UEA, ARU, Lincoln, Plymouth all safe, and Cardiff if you have a guaranteed interview, so you can choose.

Think its 130, 28 for GCSEs (6 x 9s = 24pts, 2 x 7s = 4pts), 60 for SJ1, 16 for VR (8x2), 8, 8, 10 for the other 3 elements, total 130.
Reply 12
Original post by Parenttotwo
Think its 130, 28 for GCSEs (6 x 9s = 24pts, 2 x 7s = 4pts), 60 for SJ1, 16 for VR (8x2), 8, 8, 10 for the other 3 elements, total 130.

Yes, you are right, don't know where I got the 129 from! I think 130 will probably be OK at Nottingham and definitely be OK at Lincoln.
Oh sorry! I was only calculating my highest 6 GCSEs instead of 8.
the interm scores for ucat came out my friend is worried about her application for medicine this year here are their stats:
( home applicant (UK), they dont want to do BMAT, thinking about going abroad but still want to apply within the UK)
UCAT: 2290 b3
GCSES: all As and A*s
4 A*:1(9) 3(8)
6A(7)
CONTEXTUAL:
postcode
POLAR4: quintile 1
POLAR3: quinitile 1
could they still apply here?
Hello,
Would anyone please be able to let me know whether UEA are likely to consider me for an interview based on the following results.
Applying in the UK, having just left sixth form.

Alevels (achieved)
Biology-A
Chemistry-A
Maths-A

Ucat scores
Verbal reasoning-590
Decision making-720
Quantitative reasoning-730
Abstract reasoning-830
Overall score: 2870 SJT Band 3

GCSEs
Mathematics-9
English language-7
Biology-9
Chemistry-9
Physics-9
English lit-9
History-8
German-7
Business-7
Computer science-5
Art and design-5

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!
Hi, if there are any current UEA med students cruising the threads, can I ask what you think about this article please? It’s 2020 so a bit old but I would be interested to know what is the same and what is different please ?

https://lifeofamedic.com/2020/08/10/whats-it-really-like-to-study-medicine-at-norwich-medical-school/

It’s a really interesting series on Life of a Medic so thanks to whomever did it first time around.
Reply 17
Original post by Brazilman721
Hello,
Would anyone please be able to let me know whether UEA are likely to consider me for an interview based on the following results.
Applying in the UK, having just left sixth form.

Alevels (achieved)
Biology-A
Chemistry-A
Maths-A

Ucat scores
Verbal reasoning-590
Decision making-720
Quantitative reasoning-730
Abstract reasoning-830
Overall score: 2870 SJT Band 3

GCSEs
Mathematics-9
English language-7
Biology-9
Chemistry-9
Physics-9
English lit-9
History-8
German-7
Business-7
Computer science-5
Art and design-5

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Yes, you would get an interview and your UCAT is good for post interview 50% UCAT/50% interview score and will hopefully make up for the points lost for band 3. You have lots of good options with that UCAT score.
how does east anglia work out points post-interview in terms of ucat?
Reply 19
Original post by Jvug2321
how does east anglia work out points post-interview in terms of ucat?

That is a good question, I don't think they have released that info. Eg, do they band the UCAT scores of interviewees or convert scores to some sort of scale?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending