The Student Room Group

OCR M1 (not MEI) Official Thread 24/01/2011

The M1 exam is tomorrow, as you all know. What is everyone most confident about and what do they not want to come up on the paper?

I know for sure that I am more confident about this exam than I was for C3, it can't get much harder than that can it?! (touch wood)

This thread is also for last minute revision tips and for Mr M to post his answers if possible!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by T431nd1anM4n
The M1 exam is tomorrow, as you all know. What is everyone most confident about and what do they not want to come up on the paper?

I know for sure that I am more confident about this exam than I was for C3, it can't get much harder than that can it?! (touch wood)

This thread is also for last minute revision tips and for Mr M to post his answers if possible!

I'm quite confident about this tbh. Btw have you got the June 2010 mark scheme? I've done the paper but can't find the mark scheme anywhere.
Reply 2
Original post by BazzaMan
I'm quite confident about this tbh. Btw have you got the June 2010 mark scheme? I've done the paper but can't find the mark scheme anywhere.

Unfortunately I don't, it only goes up to Jan 2010 on the website! :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by BazzaMan

I do, PM me your email and I can send it over to you
Reply 4
anyone got june 2010 paper and mark scheme they can send? thanks
Reply 5
Original post by Roy064
anyone got june 2010 paper and mark scheme they can send? thanks

I do, PM me your email
Reply 6
Original post by Jing_jing
I do, PM me your email

sent
How did everyone find it? I couldn't do the show that T = 3/2. And the last question was a bit weird but I think other than that it was okay.
Reply 8
Original post by Freerider101
How did everyone find it? I couldn't do the show that T = 3/2. And the last question was a bit weird but I think other than that it was okay.

wasn't it T=2/3? But anyway, wasn't really difficult, but couldn't for the life of me think what the last part of the last question was asking me to do, i did resultant forces in directions of slope and normal contact force but still wasn't sure. How did you find it?
I found it quite tough, but think i answered most of the questions ok
again, apart from that last question, i couldn't think for the life of me what it was asking of me to do...

for the T=2/3 it took me a while but i figured it out in the end.
i was very proud of myself :wink:
Reply 10
Original post by Lazarusasaur
I found it quite tough, but think i answered most of the questions ok
again, apart from that last question, i couldn't think for the life of me what it was asking of me to do...

for the T=2/3 it took me a while but i figured it out in the end.
i was very proud of myself :wink:

nice, i'm pissed off with myself, seems to me units which aren't pure have elements of hit and miss to them which i don't like and causes me to lose marks but ah well, onwards and upwards to D2 on wednesday :smile:
Original post by Roy064
nice, i'm pissed off with myself, seems to me units which aren't pure have elements of hit and miss to them which i don't like and causes me to lose marks but ah well, onwards and upwards to D2 on wednesday :smile:

ah, good luck man, i'm going to keep looking around for an answer to that last question, as you said, i'm also pissed off with myself, was hoping for near to 100 in that exam :/
Reply 12
Original post by Lazarusasaur
ah, good luck man, i'm going to keep looking around for an answer to that last question, as you said, i'm also pissed off with myself, was hoping for near to 100 in that exam :/

you too, do you know whether Mr.M does mechanics answers? I badly want a rough idea of marks, calmed me for FP1.
I couldnt find the angle where Q and P were falling and collided, and the last part of the last question was strange!

All in all though, it was a nice paper
Reply 14
I couldnt prove that T= 2/3, but managed to find angle. I just resolved parallel to plane for particle P (a= 4.9ms^2, u =4.9ms)

mg sin theta = 4.9m

4.9 = g sin theta

sin theta = 4.9/9.8

theta = 30 or sthg.

Last question was horrid too.... I thought i worked out the normal contact force in previous part and used r= 5.09N (?) as well. Totally clueless last bit. but all questions was easy. except last bit and proving t=2/3 caught me out as well. :colondollar:
Reply 15
Original post by sinnhy
I couldnt prove that T= 2/3, but managed to find angle. I just resolved parallel to plane for particle P (a= 4.9ms^2, u =4.9ms)

mg sin theta = 4.9m

4.9 = g sin theta

sin theta = 4.9/9.8

theta = 30 or sthg.

Last question was horrid too.... I thought i worked out the normal contact force in previous part and used r= 5.09N (?) as well. Totally clueless last bit. but all questions was easy. except last bit and proving t=2/3 caught me out as well. :colondollar:

yeah i got theta=30 and t=2/3 took me like 5 minutes of staring blankly at the paper before it clicked, I think it was 3.sumet / 7.sumet can't remember though. Does anyone fully understand the last question? i did the resultant but showed NCF and friction. Does Mr.M do the mechanics answers?
Apart from question 7 part (ii) and (iii) which were impossible :/ , does anyone know how T=2/3 when i believe theta = 30 degrees :s-smilie:
Reply 17
For question 5, did anyone else use SUVAT equations and get something like

S= 9.8T^2

and

S= 4.9T + 2.45T^2

??? I hope this was right. Plus, how did you all prove T= 2/3? I used the SUVAT equations, but I don't think I'll get the marks.

Thought some of the paper was okay, other bits quite tough (particularly the last part of question 7)
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by eanderson4

S= 9.8T^2

and

S= 4.9T + 2.45T^2

Yes, I thinks your's right (It better be:redface:)

For the t = 2/3

I think I used the Pythagoras to find the length between x and point of collision, possibly in terms of "length of y and point of collision" but I for got what it exactly is...

then I got something related to 2.45 and 3.675, hence 2/3
Reply 19
Original post by eanderson4

S= 9.8T^2

and

S= 4.9T + 2.45T^2

??? I hope this was right. Plus, how did you all prove T= 2/3? I used the SUVAT equations, but I don't think I'll get the marks.

Thought some of the paper was okay, other bits quite tough (particularly the last part of question 7)

S=4.9T^2

s=ut+0.5at^2 was in free fall so a=9.8 u=0

then used simultaneous using fact that theta=30 and equations above.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending