The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher History? Anyone?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by becko37
The whole topic is just one ambush/battle/treaty after another, described in the most dreary of terms by my dreary teacher. Formula: English fight Scots; English win; Scots refuse to accept win; Scots muster another army; English fight Scots..... etc etc etc until we get to 1329 when FINALLY they sign a treaty which people actually stick to... vaguely.

But I agree AH Weimar sounds dire!

That actually sounds a lot more interesting than Weimar, and that's saying something! :tongue: For us there's no battles or anything like that at all; it's mostly just economics and politics. Which is as boring as it sounds! :biggrin:
Reply 41
Original post by draconia_93
That actually sounds a lot more interesting than Weimar, and that's saying something! :tongue: For us there's no battles or anything like that at all; it's mostly just economics and politics. Which is as boring as it sounds! :biggrin:

Hehe, that is quite possibly true. :biggrin: Although I suppose AH is probably not meant to interest you hugely... shame as I'm going to uni to do history haha.
I've got all my lovely notes; my historiography, my generic plans for the areas I'm pretty sure will come up, I really wish I could take them in with me, the second I get into the exam hall my mind will go blank, I know it :frown:
Original post by becko37
Hehe, that is quite possibly true. :biggrin: Although I suppose AH is probably not meant to interest you hugely... shame as I'm going to uni to do history haha.

Haha, I took AH because I loved Higher and thought it would be interesting - how wrong I was. I'm going to uni to study history too - or history and English to be precise :tongue: Where have you applied to?
Reply 44
Haha, I took AH because I loved Higher and thought it would be interesting - how wrong I was. I'm going to uni to study history too - or history and English to be precise :tongue: Where have you applied to?

Same, I loved Higher. But AH is leaving me cold... apart from anything it seems a lot easies. *scratches head* I actually applied for History & French because I couldn't decide between the two. Erm... Oxford, Durham, Edinburgh, St Andrews and Glasgow. You? :smile:
Reply 45
Original post by anakintoast
Luckily my Advanced Higher class was put into their own room! We usually have our exams in the gym hall too and I don't know why but when I was in there for Art it wasn't raining outside yet I could hear water running the whole way through, really distracting :s

I dunno how long the art exam is, but if it's like the 3 hours I think with that running water i'd be sitting with my legs crossed!
Original post by Heraspax
I dunno how long the art exam is, but if it's like the 3 hours I think with that running water i'd be sitting with my legs crossed!

Haha art was only higher so an hour and a half. I don't know what it was so I'm just going to hope it was only that day!
Original post by becko37
Same, I loved Higher. But AH is leaving me cold... apart from anything it seems a lot easies. *scratches head* I actually applied for History & French because I couldn't decide between the two. Erm... Oxford, Durham, Edinburgh, St Andrews and Glasgow. You? :smile:

I'm guessing you'll be going for Oxford then? I've applied to Stirling (twice, I've also applied for History and English with Education), Strathclyde, Aberdeen and Dundee. I've got an offer for my top choice already, so I'm happy. :biggrin:
Reply 48
I'm guessing you'll be going for Oxford then? I've applied to Stirling (twice, I've also applied for History and English with Education), Strathclyde, Aberdeen and Dundee. I've got an offer for my top choice already, so I'm happy. :biggrin:

Haha no, I went for interview but then later got rejected. I was kind of relieved TBH... too much work! And the people weren't very nice. :frown: Yay! Well done you. :biggrin: What is your top choice? I was going to apply for History and Education at Stirling too but decided not to in case I change my mind about teaching. St Andrews is my top choice now but they are taking aaaaages to reply. :rolleyes:
Original post by becko37
Haha no, I went for interview but then later got rejected. I was kind of relieved TBH... too much work! And the people weren't very nice. :frown: Yay! Well done you. :biggrin: What is your top choice? I was going to apply for History and Education at Stirling too but decided not to in case I change my mind about teaching. St Andrews is my top choice now but they are taking aaaaages to reply. :rolleyes:

Aw, it's a shame you got rejected, but I suppose if you didn't like it then it's for the best! Thanks! :colondollar: My top choice is Stirling, since I loved the campus and it was a very friendly and helpful place. I've already got an unconditional for History and English, but I'm waiting to see what they say about the Education course before I decide what course to do there. St Andrews seems like a really good uni, good luck! :biggrin:
Reply 50
I barely know much about the topics either, although I think we only have to do one essay instead of two, thankfully. I'm dreading it. :s-smilie:

One? No fair :frown: not that I'd even manage one, but.... :s-smilie:
Original post by Rhi93
One? No fair :frown: not that I'd even manage one, but.... :s-smilie:

I don't think I'll even manage that! :frown: I think the sources will be ok but I've no idea about the essays. It's not like you can improvise your way through an essay. :s-smilie:
Reply 52
I loved AH. It was so much fun. I miss it a bit. American Civil War FTW ;P

If you're concerned about the exam, just make sure your dissertation is as good as you can get it. That way, you can do your best in the exam but if it does go wrong, you have a chance of a reasonable pass.
Reply 53
I don't think I'll even manage that! :frown: I think the sources will be ok but I've no idea about the essays. It's not like you can improvise your way through an essay. :s-smilie:

Well, I had my prelim this morning, didn't manage a single essay question :/ got an answer down for the source questions, but they were awful. I'll be lucky if my marks get into double figures :frown:
Original post by Rhi93
Well, I had my prelim this morning, didn't manage a single essay question :/ got an answer down for the source questions, but they were awful. I'll be lucky if my marks get into double figures :frown:

Don't worry it's not the end of the world; just make sure you work really hard on your dissertation.

Anyone going to a lecture in Edinburgh about slavery and Abraham Lincoln? Apparently all AH students doing this topic, and living around this area should get contacted....
Prelim this morning. Got everything done but my essays were too short and the sources were...awful *shudder* 3 hours is too long but at the same time not long enough. :s-smilie:
Reply 56
Original post by cool_side_of_the_pillow
Prelim this morning. Got everything done but my essays were too short and the sources were...awful *shudder* 3 hours is too long but at the same time not long enough. :s-smilie:

Your essays may have been too short, but at least you attempted them :smile: what's your topic?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Rhi93

Oh no! :console: Mine's tomorrow and I'm still unsure about the essay! :s-smilie: I really haven't had enough practise writing them, or know what to expect. Sources I'm thinking I may be ok with, but we've had barely anything about it taught to us. I think I'll be happy if I pass, since I doubt they'd appeal for us anyway.
Reply 58
Oh no! :console: Mine's tomorrow and I'm still unsure about the essay! :s-smilie: I really haven't had enough practise writing them, or know what to expect. Sources I'm thinking I may be ok with, but we've had barely anything about it taught to us. I think I'll be happy if I pass, since I doubt they'd appeal for us anyway.

Good luck with it, I'm sure you won't do as badly as me! :smile:
Original post by Rhi93
Good luck with it, I'm sure you won't do as badly as me! :smile:

Thanks! I think I'll need all the luck I can get! Suppose we'll find out by tomorrow :eek3:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending