The Student Room Group

S6 Subject Choices

Hi! I'm currently in S5 and needing to choose my subjects for S6 pretty soon. I'm studying 5 Highers this year (English, Maths, Human Bio, Chemistry & History) and predicted 5 As. I am slightly worried my Chemistry might let me down and could be a B though. I'm most likely going to choose 3 Advanced Highers, however I'm wondering how this works in terms of points/grades for university. I definitely plan to do advanced higher English, so in the (amazing) circumstance I achieve an A at Higher & Advanced Higher, what does that equal for uni courses?
I'm interested in studying Law and/or International Relations and many courses say AAAAA by the end of S5 preferred, if I fail to do this and then get AAAAB - would my advanced higher english A replace that B? Or would it only replace the Higher english A so therefore keeping it the same?
Just planning for the future to see if I need to take a different higher to secure AAAAA by the end of S6. :smile:
Original post by seashells7
Hi! I'm currently in S5 and needing to choose my subjects for S6 pretty soon. I'm studying 5 Highers this year (English, Maths, Human Bio, Chemistry & History) and predicted 5 As. I am slightly worried my Chemistry might let me down and could be a B though. I'm most likely going to choose 3 Advanced Highers, however I'm wondering how this works in terms of points/grades for university. I definitely plan to do advanced higher English, so in the (amazing) circumstance I achieve an A at Higher & Advanced Higher, what does that equal for uni courses?
I'm interested in studying Law and/or International Relations and many courses say AAAAA by the end of S5 preferred, if I fail to do this and then get AAAAB - would my advanced higher english A replace that B? Or would it only replace the Higher english A so therefore keeping it the same?
Just planning for the future to see if I need to take a different higher to secure AAAAA by the end of S6. :smile:

Hi, any grades you achieve in S6 would just be counted along with your S5 grades. For example, if you had AAAAB in S5 and the university required AAAAA, they would just look for another A at Higher or B at Advanced Higher in S6. B at advanced higher is equivalent to an A at Higher, so if you don’t achieve 5A’s at the end of S5, universities will probably give you a conditional offer on the condition that you achieve a B in an advanced higher or an A in a Higher (depending on if you study another higher in S6). When you apply to uni, you will choose a course with entry requirements that meet the grades you already have so that you have a safe option which is called an insurance choice.

Also some uni’s double count Advanced Higher’s and Higher’s in the same subject which means that a Higher in English and an Advanced Higher in English would be counted as the same subject. I think Glasgow does this but it’s quite rare that universities do this.
Reply 2
Original post by consulting-cinde
Hi, any grades you achieve in S6 would just be counted along with your S5 grades. For example, if you had AAAAB in S5 and the university required AAAAA, they would just look for another A at Higher or B at Advanced Higher in S6. B at advanced higher is equivalent to an A at Higher, so if you don’t achieve 5A’s at the end of S5, universities will probably give you a conditional offer on the condition that you achieve a B in an advanced higher or an A in a Higher (depending on if you study another higher in S6). When you apply to uni, you will choose a course with entry requirements that meet the grades you already have so that you have a safe option which is called an insurance choice.

Also some uni’s double count Advanced Higher’s and Higher’s in the same subject which means that a Higher in English and an Advanced Higher in English would be counted as the same subject. I think Glasgow does this but it’s quite rare that universities do this.
Thank you! I wasn't aware it wasn't a common thing to double count which is mostly what I was stressing about. After reading this and consulting with my teacher I've chosen to do 2 AH and 2 crash highers to maximise the amount of A grades I get. Still hoping for 5 As this year though.
Thank you! I wasn't aware it wasn't a common thing to double count which is mostly what I was stressing about. After reading this and consulting with my teacher I've chosen to do 2 AH and 2 crash highers to maximise the amount of A grades I get. Still hoping for 5 As this year though.
That sounds like a good idea, good luck for your Higher’s you will probably do better than you think!
Reply 4
My advice would personally be to take advanced English and History, with the last choice being less important. Unis deffo rate Advanced English for law and a few do recommend taking a humanity to Advanced Higher. Scottish Unis are really really unlikely to ask for an offer of 3 advanced higher grades whereas it’s quite common in England so that’s something to consider. I’m doing 3 advanced highers this year and honestly do not find it super challenging especially since you’ll have loads of study periods! I would maybe discourage advanced maths just because you don’t need it and an A at higher maths is already incredibly sought after and impressive.
Reply 5
Original post by M2006
My advice would personally be to take advanced English and History, with the last choice being less important. Unis deffo rate Advanced English for law and a few do recommend taking a humanity to Advanced Higher. Scottish Unis are really really unlikely to ask for an offer of 3 advanced higher grades whereas it’s quite common in England so that’s something to consider. I’m doing 3 advanced highers this year and honestly do not find it super challenging especially since you’ll have loads of study periods! I would maybe discourage advanced maths just because you don’t need it and an A at higher maths is already incredibly sought after and impressive.

Thank you!! I've chosen to do Advanced Higher History & English. I could never go near Advanced Maths haha, Higher is definitely enough for me! I've chosen to do 2 other Highers (Sociology & Business) instead of 3 AHs since I don't plan on going to an English Uni. I am crashing them both but my teachers all say I'll do fine since I'm good in essay based subjects, so I'm fairly confident in my choices (or I hope so!)
Reply 6

Thank you!! I've chosen to do Advanced Higher History & English. I could never go near Advanced Maths haha, Higher is definitely enough for me! I've chosen to do 2 other Highers (Sociology & Business) instead of 3 AHs since I don't plan on going to an English Uni. I am crashing them both but my teachers all say I'll do fine since I'm good in essay based subjects, so I'm fairly confident in my choices (or I hope so!)That sounds perfect! Although 4 subjects can be a lot for the few people I know who do them (mostly due to the lack of free periods) but if you’ve been advised this will work for you I’d go for it! Good luck x
Reply 7
Original post by M2006

Thank you!! I've chosen to do Advanced Higher History & English. I could never go near Advanced Maths haha, Higher is definitely enough for me! I've chosen to do 2 other Highers (Sociology & Business) instead of 3 AHs since I don't plan on going to an English Uni. I am crashing them both but my teachers all say I'll do fine since I'm good in essay based subjects, so I'm fairly confident in my choices (or I hope so!)
That sounds perfect! Although 4 subjects can be a lot for the few people I know who do them (mostly due to the lack of free periods) but if you’ve been advised this will work for you I’d go for it! Good luck x

Yeah I kind of thought the same but my school only offers 4 subjects as a minimum (unless you do 3 AHs) so I didn't have too much choice sadly. Still hoping for the best though since the majority of my year are doing the same x
Reply 8
Edinburgh doesn’t double count AHs in same subject so def good to do a spread of AH and highers to give yourself a chance of further As (via the highers ) in S6

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending