The Student Room Group

sin60° as a fraction

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
~Bex~
OK, now can people maybe help me with another question on the same topic?

Having found that tanB=1.732, I need to show that:
1+tan²B=sec²B

using the value of tanB? if so you could use pythagoras to find cosB and hence secB, but more generally...

sin²x + cos²x = 1

(dividing by cos²x)

tan²x + 1 = sec²x
Reply 21
You make me laugh! That is never C1.

sin2B + cos2B = 1

=> (divide through by cos2B)

=> tan²B + 1 = sec²B
Reply 22
well its a question in my c1 text book
Reply 23
for what exam board?
Reply 24
It must be a very strange exam board. I didn't come across sin²B + cos²B = 1 until C2, and sec, cosec and cot weren't mentioned until C3.
Reply 25
mei
Reply 26
Joe_87
It must be a very strange exam board. I didn't come across sin²B + cos²B = 1 until C2, and sec, cosec and cot weren't mentioned until C3.

Yeah seems a bit odd, I've just finished C2 and only came across 'sin²B + cos²B = 1' at the later stages and havent come across sec,cosec and cot (well in maths lessons) yet...

i find it hard to believe that one exam board has this much in C1 whilst the rest of them have higher level GCSE stuff...
Original post by ~Bex~
Can someone please help me on this question. I need to write sin60° as a fraction, but can't work out how. I know that it involves knowing that sin30° is 1/2, but I don't know where to go from there - please help!
This question is worrying me also. I use 1.732 for sin 60 divided by cos 60. This is the ratio of son 60 and cos 60. The ratio of Sin 60 and Cos 60 is also called Tan 60. Here Tan 60 is root of three which is 0.861. I can't write root of three.You may refer the circle script of internet giving sin, cos and tan figures from 0 degrees to 360 degrees. Please keep a photocopy of that figure for your ready guidance. Really I am relieved with this too lengthy discussion.

Quick Reply

Latest