The Student Room Group

Does good grades mean your clever? Bad grades mean your dumb?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jono404
Some people don't care about success though, I've met some very intelligent people in some very menial jobs.

You think it's intelligent to lock yourself out of good jobs forever, and assume you'll always be happy working Maccy D's from birth until death? Seems more like ludicrously short sighted and naive to me. If you have good grades you can always work a menial job if that's what you prefer. But you can't go the other way, or at least it is far more difficult. So which is smarter, denying yourself any chance of success based on how you feel at 15 or giving yourself the possibility of a future change of career?
(edited 13 years ago)
i have a friend who gets straight A's but i think is thick as a melon. she just literally learns the study guide. having said that she does ICT, psychology and drama. i'd like to see her cope with biology or maths, a subject where application is needed. it really irritates me how see does so well whilst being so jaded. she got confused by the word 'bottle neck' in the context "too many programs running act as a bottleneck". i mean christ, this is one of the top people in my sixth form. she doesn't watch the news or have any hobbies or interests apart from school and true blood (that silly series). i asked her what she thought about the change in the middle-east, she replied: "where's the middle-east?". i mean how would i even answer that? i find the education system so flawed that someone so clueless is able to be a top performer when at the same being the most narrow minded, unaware, naive student at my school. this proofs to no end that having a good memory and being able to recall information is the key to doing well in exams, and not genuine intelligence.
Reply 22
Bad grammar means YOU'RE dumb.
Reply 23
Original post by llamalad200
i have a friend who gets straight A's but i think is thick as a melon. she just literally learns the study guide. having said that she does ICT, psychology and drama. i'd like to see her cope with biology or maths, a subject where application is needed. it really irritates me how see does so well whilst being so jaded. she got confused by the word 'bottle neck' in the context "too many programs running act as a bottleneck". i mean christ, this is one of the top people in my sixth form. she doesn't watch the news or have any hobbies or interests apart from school and true blood (that silly series). i asked her what she thought about the change in the middle-east, she replied: "where's the middle-east?". i mean how would i even answer that? i find the education system so flawed that someone so clueless is able to be a top performer when at the same being the most narrow minded, unaware, naive student at my school. this proofs to no end that having a good memory and being able to recall information is the key to doing well in exams, and not genuine intelligence.

Agreed. There are some people in my RS class who go through the entire year sitting in silence, only ever speaking to tell us that they don't understand what's happening. They just learn the ethical theories and the case-studies regarding them and simply regurgitate it in the exam, they have literally no idea how to apply them in real life. They sit and moan whenever we have class discussions (which is quite regularly) even though if we didn't have them they'd be even less clued-up. Yet they walked away with A's and B's in the AS exams :angry:

It's just a little bit maddening :colondollar:
Reply 24
Original post by lonely14
Intelligence is harder to define and I don't think good exam grades reflect a person's intelligence, more like the ability to recall...

Just look at Einstein. :albertein:

What does Einstein have to do with this thread? :confused:
Reply 25
Original post by ralphieinker90
I'm illiterate? That would mean I can't read or write. Both of which are required to write a response to your pathetic post. Also, babes? Theres only one of me, so if anything call me babe. Babes is the plural. Seems like if either of us is illiterate, it's you.

Speaking of plurals, "good grades" is a plural so your thread title should have read "Do good grades mean..."
Reply 26
I dislike the ones who think they are geniuses because they achieved all A*s at GCSE and all A's at A level when they actually sat down and revised at home for a whole year. But then I dislike the chavs from my school with all E's claiming 'they are really clever but lazy' FFS if that's the case stop being lazy.
Reply 27
Original post by Uneschka
Not necessarily. A friend of mine dropped out of school because she only got Ds and Es, but her IQ is around the 160 mark

IQ being almost entirely unreliable as a guide to anything.
Reply 28
I didn't want to study that much in sixth form, my dad had died and I preferred sleeping the days away. Doesn't make me stupid.

I've also met complete tools with stunning grades. The only thing their grades show is that they can follow instructions..
(edited 13 years ago)
How is this even worth discussion?
Reply 30
Original post by bluesky42
What does Einstein have to do with this thread? :confused:

As far as I know Einstein performed quite badly at school in his youth because he had no interest in the syllabus. This happened to Hawking aswell. He spent much of his time thinking about other things outside of the course, and as such got a 2:1 (not that thats awful) but was a candidate for being bumped up to a 1:1. Within a 10 minutes or so it was clear to the academics that he was smarter than they were :biggrin:.
Reply 31
Original post by ralphieinker90
Do you think grades are the ultimate indicator of a person's intelligence. Before attending University I did. I went to Uni on the expectation that it would be full of superior intellectuals who were constantly increasing their ever expanding knowledge of everything, not just their subject, and that I would be the dumbest man to ever attend. But when I got here I was shocked. I speak to people, and no offence to them, but they don't seem like the greatest young mind of our generation. And when you ask them about politics, or something that requires good general knowledge you draw a completely blank, but then when you ask them what grades they got at A-Level, they're shocking good. I know one guy who didn't know how to cook beans on toast but got 3 A's at A-level, in Law, English and Physics. How??

no, it doesn't mean you are stupid or clever. It just means whether you are good at a subject. Some of the people at school really piss me off when they say "I'm so clever because I'm in top set"... it's a load of bull crap. You can be artistically clever, musically clever, or mathematically clever. YOU CANNOT BE CLEVER IN ONE SUBJECT, IT JUST MEANS THAT YOU ARE GOOD AT THAT SUBJECT!!!!
I think good grades indicate either intelligence, hard work or a bit of both.
Reply 33
I unfortunatly seem to know lots in class and i find (sometimes) abstract meanings in poems but i'm just not very good at exams. But i know one girl who cant even find basic meanings in poems and she gets A`s and B`s, its really annoying.
I used to be top English and I was top Science and other top classes at school but I completely flopped in the later years due to personal reason and ended out with C's, failing 4.

Although I got C's it doesn't mean i'm completely dumb I'm just now a more practical person rather than academic.
Not at all.
I got high grades all the way through my education, but I had to work about 10 times as hard as my friend who got the same grades. Some people remember course material much more easily than others- unfortunately, I fit into the "others" category.

People used to say to me "oh you always do really well, you're clever" as if that meant I could just go home, not revise in the slightest, and turn up for exams and still get top marks.
Reply 36
hehehehehehehehe
RIP JS
Reply 38
Original post by JayReg
As far as I know Einstein performed quite badly at school in his youth because he had no interest in the syllabus. This happened to Hawking aswell. He spent much of his time thinking about other things outside of the course, and as such got a 2:1 (not that thats awful) but was a candidate for being bumped up to a 1:1. Within a 10 minutes or so it was clear to the academics that he was smarter than they were :biggrin:.

I think that's a myth actually. Although he may not have been a good student all round, he certainly did very well in Maths and Physics exams - mainly because if you're that good at those subjects, it's pretty hard to do badly, even if he wasn't thinking about the syllabus...
Reply 39
I have lots of A*s but I only learnt the difference between 'north' and 'up' the other week :awesome:

Having good grades but problems in other areas of life just go to show that there are different kinds of intelligence. I know that I'm pretty good at abstract, theoretical things, which is something that the education system seems to reward; I also know that I'm pretty bad at visualising things and doing hands-on things, which is luckily something the education system doesn't really penalise.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending