The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

SK277 at 16.

Hello,

I am considering applying to the SK277 (human biology) level 2 course. At the moment (i'm 15) i am studying my A-levels at a college (further maths/chem/bio/electronics). I am achieving all A/A*'s; i find them really easy.

How hard are level 2 courses and do you need to have done a level 1 course before hand?

Also, is the course credible to other uni's as i'm planning to apply to a conventional uni in a couple of years.

Please say your thoughts.:smile:
Reply 1
Don't be fooled by the entry requirements. "SK277 is a Level 2 course. It would be an advantage to have studied biology or human biology to GCSE or, preferably, A-level standard." Although it might not sound too hard to get on the course, some areas will be much tougher than what you're used to. You're obviously a year ahead so may enjoy the challenge. Check the rules for applying under 16 though unless you're leaving it for a while. Have you seen these reviews?
http://www3.open.ac.uk/coursereviews/course.aspx?course=sk277
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply.

I have looked at the reviews. At one point I did consider a level one course but I read a review from someone in the same situation (e.g. doing the course alongside A-levels) and she said that there were lots of overlaps. This 'put me off' as I am looking for a challenge (i am planning to do it at 16).

Is the course credible to other universities?
Reply 3
Anyone else?
Reply 4
I would say it's better to do a level 1 course and pass than a level 2 and struggle. Unis will find it impressive enough that you did any course so young!

Quick Reply

Latest