The Student Room Group

English Language Paper 2 Question 4

Hi,
I have written my answer to Q4 in paper 2, could you mark this and let me know what went well and how I can improve.
This is only 1 paragraph, so in the exam i would have to write 3 of these. Can you just let me know if i did 3 of these paragraphs what i would get.

For this question, you need to refer to the whole of Source A, together with
Source B, the father’s letter to a family friend.
Compare how the two writers convey their different attitudes to parenting and
education.
In your answer, you could:
compare their different attitudes
compare the methods they use to convey their attitudes
support your ideas with references to both texts.
[16 marks]

Although both sources resolves around parental relationships, both have completely different attitudes concerning education. The parent in source A uses humour to express his relaxed and unstressed attitude to education: “remorselessly take the mickey out of you” emphasises that his son is able to treat his father in a friendly manner and this also eradicates any tension or respect from the son. The use of the colloquial language of “mickey” heightens that the father does not see himself as a superior and someone that has to be treated with respect; the father’s attitude to his son evokes the sense of equality in the relationship. Additionally, the adverb “remorselessly” can imply that the son teases his father on a regular basis and that the son feels no guilt or sadness. On the other hand the father in source B contradicts this easy-going attitude through the use of his formal language which creates an authoritarian tone. The father doubts his son’s accusations and creates a generalisation by conveying “Boys will sometimes complain without cause”, this leads to the fact that the father believes that he is always correct and does not have faith in his sons. This impacts the contemporary audience as it is unusual for parents to act in this manner, and it leads us to question why parents in the 19th century would be so pessimistic towards their sons.
Could I PM you about this as I've just finished my GCSE's and in class we have marked countless amounts of exam questions and this is one we did and id love to help you further :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by LJones191
Could I PM you about this as I've just finished my GCSE's and in class we have marked countless amounts of exam questions and this is one we did and id love to help you further :biggrin:

Please can you help me, i dont know how to PM but you can just write it here
Original post by amypops
Hi,
I have written my answer to Q4 in paper 2, could you mark this and let me know what went well and how I can improve.
This is only 1 paragraph, so in the exam i would have to write 3 of these. Can you just let me know if i did 3 of these paragraphs what i would get.

education.
[16 marks]

Although both sources resolves around parental relationships, both have completely different attitudes concerning education. The parent in source A uses humour to express his relaxed and unstressed attitude to education: “remorselessly take the mickey out of you” emphasises that his son is able to treat his father in a friendly manner and this also eradicates any tension or respect from the son. The use of the colloquial language of “mickey” heightens that the father does not see himself as a superior and someone that has to be treated with respect; the father’s attitude to his son evokes the sense of equality in the relationship. Additionally, the adverb “remorselessly” can imply that the son teases his father on a regular basis and that the son feels no guilt or sadness. On the other hand the father in source B contradicts this easy-going attitude through the use of his formal language which creates an authoritarian tone. The father doubts his son’s accusations and creates a generalisation by conveying “Boys will sometimes complain without cause”, this leads to the fact that the father believes that he is always correct and does not have faith in his sons. This impacts the contemporary audience as it is unusual for parents to act in this manner, and it leads us to question why parents in the 19th century would be so pessimistic towards their sons.

Hi there, I want to practice more questions so could you put q3 and 2 please
a*
A*
It's amazing in my opinion i would give this around 15 marks. Well done!
Original post by amypops
Hi,

education.
[16 marks]

Yeh goddam u right and your merch is fire dawg
Original post by gangtagangta
Nah G this can't 16 marks you libtard, lick my ass and buy my merchandise at tee spring.com/stores/tigarrx
apinesh march is hella gay
Shut up bruv no one care about ur **** clothes
hi i need some advice, on my English language paper 2 question 4 in the gcse this year I wrote about the similarities not the differences and it asked fro difference will I get 0 out of 16 ??

Original post by NVT_Student
It's amazing in my opinion i would give this around 15 marks. Well done!
Original post by unknown371
hi i need some advice, on my English language paper 2 question 4 in the gcse this year I wrote about the similarities not the differences and it asked fro difference will I get 0 out of 16 ??

Probably, if there is anything in your explanation that might have some differences listed, then you might get a couple of marks. Sorry for the late reply.
This is absolute ****, 1/16
I would say around 12 marks. Your answer is good with very detailed interpretations however you would need to write another paragraph comparing another aspect such as structure, perspective focus, tone, etc in order to show a more detailed understanding of the texts. Grade 7 answer
Its pretty good especially when you have just written only 1 paragraph out of the total three you were going to write. I would say 13/16 marks. Decents core well done :smile:
Original post by amypops
Hi,

education.
[16 marks]

13/16 marks well done :smile::smile:
Original post by amypops
Hi,

education.
[16 marks]

I would say bottom of level 4 (grade 7-8) because you have included multiple techniques such as 'colloquial language' and 'adverbs' etc but I believe you may need to write more as 1 paragraph for a 16 mark question is definitely not enough to gain you full marks. Maybe try writing 2-3 or maybe 4 paragraphs next time if you are aiming for the full 16 marks. I would give it 13/16 maximum :smile::smile::smile:.
For this question, you need to refer to the whole of Source A, together with the whole of Source B.Compare how the writers convey their different attitudes to sweets. In your answer, you could:• compare their different attitudes to sweets• compare the methods the writers use to convey their attitudes support your response with references to both texts. I need help
Reply 18
this is like 5/6 marks bc its only one paragraph you need 3/4 paragraphs for 16/16
and also you gave basic answers its not higher level

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending