The Student Room Group

Jobs at 15

I’m 15 and turning 16 at the end of August i applied for a bunch of jobs. Does it matter that i’m 15 and if they didn’t specify could i still get in and get paid?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dedelio
I’m 15 and turning 16 at the end of August i applied for a bunch of jobs. Does it matter that i’m 15 and if they didn’t specify could i still get in and get paid?

You can't work participate in paid work at 15, I think you have to be 16 to do so, although some jobs offer vacancies for 16 year olds, most jobs want people to be 18+.
Original post by dedelio

Even though you are now finishing the end of year 11, places might not take you on until you turn 16. You can start applying now though. If you get an interview anywhere, they may still take you on, especially as time goes on and it gets nearer to august. By the time they have interviewed, offered you the job and done the other bits, you will be just about 16 anyway (or may only have to wait a couple of weeks).
Until you turn 16, you may have more luck with independent cafes, restaurants.
Most shops, supermarkets, cinemas, fast food places, cafes, restaurants, local attractions, touristy type places etc etc take on from 16.
Original post by IFeltHome
You can't work participate in paid work at 15, I think you have to be 16 to do so, although some jobs offer vacancies for 16 year olds, most jobs want people to be 18+.

Not true.
Most shops, supermarkets, cinemas, fast food places, cafes, restaurants, local attractions, touristy type places etc etc take on from 16.
Waiter/waitress and private tutor are the first two jobs I think of to begin with earning money in that age.
I think it depends on the area you live in and if they are willing to take you while you also agreeing to get paid the lowest which is the minimum amount.

I was once in the same situation as you as i would be turning 16 at the end unlike others, i found a local shop/supermarket that's not like a well known company like Morrisons ect; asked if they would hire me, they took me and was able to work from the beginning of the holiday's as i did look for a job last minute.

I'd say, ask around locally and physically go in to talk to the managers if you can and workers
Original post by dedelio

Hi

You can apply for Jobs in boots the chemist at 15 years old but with restrictions until you are 18 in certain department areas. Most supermarkets won't start you until you are 16 but look at your local shops perhaps doing a paper round for a few months and then apply for Jobs that you can do when you are 16.
Original post by Emma:-)
Not true.

Dear Forum Helper, I did not say they don't take 16 years old.

Read that again, Forum Helper, I said OP couldn't do paid work at 15, but could at 16 and up, like I said before, although some employers accept 16 years old, they are more likely to accept 18 years and up, rather than 16 years old.
(edited 10 months ago)
Dear Forum Helper, I did not say they don't take 16 years old.

Read that again, Forum Helper, I said OP couldn't do paid work at 15, but could at 16 and up, like I said before, although some employers accept 16 years old, they are more likely to accept 18 years and up, rather than 16 years old.

I did not say that you said that.
You said that "most jobs want people to be 18+" That is the bit that is not true as most places want people to be 16+.
Original post by Emma:-)
I did not say that you said that.
You said that "most jobs want people to be 18+" That is the bit that is not true as most places want people to be 16+.

I'm still not wrong though, I'm just slightly inaccurate.

Most 16 years old are engaging in higher education, e.g, sixth form or college, which would probably be their top priority, although they could get a part time job as well, that being said, although some 16 year olds do apprenticeships instead of engaging in mainstream education, but unfortunately if you're a 16 year old doing an apprenticeship you won't earn that much money.
(edited 10 months ago)
See if there's any local jobs advertised on community notice boards or facebook groups. My 15 year old has recently got himself a little fortnightly job mowing a lady's lawn.
I'm still not wrong though, I'm just slightly inaccurat.

Most 16 years old are engaging in higher education, e.g, sixth form or college, which would probably be their top priority, although they could get a part time job as well, that being said, although some 16 year olds do apprenticeships instead of engaging in mainstream education, but unfortunately if you're a 16 year old doing an apprenticeship you won't earn that much money.

They might not earn that much to start with, but they can go on to earn a lot, work their way up etc etc.
You can't work participate in paid work at 15

Try telling that to child actors.

You can absolutely participate in paid work at 15 - but many places won't take someone on at that age due to the faff of them not having an N.I. number yet and not being eligible for minimum wage.
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by PinkMobilePhone

You can absolutely participate in paid work at 15 - but many places won't take someone on at that age due to the faff of them not having an N.I. number yet and not being eligible for minimum wage.

Exactly.
Plus all the rules and regulations surrounding employing under 16's.

Not many people in the UK are child actors though, getting in the entertainment industry is hard.
Not many people in the UK are child actors though, getting in the entertainment industry is hard.

It was just one example to prove that under 16s can work
Reply 16
I said OP couldn't do paid work at 15

and you said wrong...
It was just one example to prove that under 16s can work

It's still not common, most young people cannot work at 15, some can, some can't. Simples.
It's still not common, most young people cannot work at 15, some can, some can't. Simples.

No, you're incorrect. They all can, excluding those with disability. Whether they have the opportunity or not is another matter, but that's a matter of circumstance.

I don't think you quite understand the definitions of can and can't.
Original post by black tea
and you said wrong...

No, I didn't.

I'm still not wrong though, I'm just slightly inaccurate.

This is what I said.... I didn't say anyone was wrong.

Original post by dedelio

I said young people couldn't work at the age of 15, but I was wrong to say that, because it is false, although ordinary young people, such as people under the age of 15, normally don't work, anyways, especially not in the entertainment industry, because it is a hard industry to enter.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending