The Student Room Group

My £19.56 week meal plan.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ily_em
I didn't know they had one! All I have is a tiny Tesco Express which probably doesn't count... It's Sainsburys for me unfortunately :frown:

edit: yeh, I checked and they don't include Tesco Express :mad:

Also I don't mind paying more really, I was just explaining which that amount might seem so low to some people!

Ah thats a shame, I guess the express stores are more expensive than other Tesco's then.
Reply 81
Original post by theciz
Omg I would die if I couldn't get anything delivered! Carrying it from the road to the kitchen is hard enough (I have to live on the fifth floor lol)! I've always found Tesco to be the same price, albeit with different deals, but they don't deliver to me, soooo...

We have a lift :P I don't really do a big shop, just buy stuff as and when I need it so my bags are never too heavy...
Reply 82
Alternatively, you could live on sainsburys value noodles (9p), toast (50p for a loaf) and scrambled egg (£1.45 for 15 eggs) like a normal student. Just saying.
Reply 83
You might find this site helpful. It's cheap but each day plan also contains your 5 a day (or more). And by cheap I mean 80 a day for 4 people.
Reply 84
As a veggie, I get so surprised how much meat costs!
I spend about £5 a week on veg/bread etc. then every 2-3 weeks I do a larger shop which is normally about £15
I do make a lot of rice/pasta/soup/jacket potatoes though, which are especially cheap.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 85
Original post by Juno
You might find this site helpful. It's cheap but each day plan also contains your 5 a day (or more). And by cheap I mean 80 a day for 4 people.

I hope you mean week...

edit: oh I thought you meant £80. 80p = (Y)
Reply 86
You are going to get so sick of bread and butter pudding.
Reply 87
Original post by ily_em

Original post by ily_em
I hope you mean week...

edit: oh I thought you meant £80. 80p = (Y)

I meant 80p a day for 4 people. Sorry.
Original post by Mombasa Raha

Wow! You sound like you know your food! Did you teach yourself to cook? I'm a pretty big fan of takeaways as well, especially pizza! :biggrin: I think once I get to uni, I'll have to force myself to explore my culinary abilities :colondollar:

Breakfast for me is fairly straight forward (cereals, porridge, nutella/peanut butter sandwiches etc)..however most of the times I don't even have breakfast - but I suspect it's got something to do with waking up at 1pm! This'll change though (hopefully!) once uni starts. One thing I'll definitely miss though is my mums pancakes :tongue:

I'm thinking I'll probably eat out for lunch - places like greggs, subway, etc...although this might result in spiralling costs!

I think (I'm hoping) their'll be an icelands near the uni I'm going to! so I can get frozen ready meals, pizzas, wedges, fish fingers! etc for dinners.

Lol, i can't cook! I've only recently started trying to teach myself. There are plenty of easy to follow recipes online though.

Porridge? I don't even know how to make that! :p: I always used to skip breakfast before uni but i feel too hungry in lectures if i do that these days, still usually pay a visit to the vending machines in lecture breaks (i eat a lot :o:)

Most people do eat out for lunch because they're already out and about at uni, check local pub deals though - with a Yates student card which costs £2 you get a burger and chips for £2 (I think that's usually around £5) which is a good offer, and the Boots meal deal is reasonably priced too. I've found i far too much on food, especially lunch.

I live near an iceland, but i don't have a microwave (the private accommodation didn't come with one and noone cba to buy one) so haven't been there much, i need to go there actually.
20 a week is too easy, for girls esp. i ate lots of pasta when at uni which is cheap as anything. then you can get 1kg of asda frozen mixed veg for 33p.......when i was at uni there was no such thing as a 'weekly shop'
Original post by paperclip
Lol, i can't cook! I've only recently started trying to teach myself. There are plenty of easy to follow recipes online though.

Porridge? I don't even know how to make that! :p: I always used to skip breakfast before uni but i feel too hungry in lectures if i do that these days, still usually pay a visit to the vending machines in lecture breaks (i eat a lot :o:)

Most people do eat out for lunch because they're already out and about at uni, check local pub deals though - with a Yates student card which costs £2 you get a burger and chips for £2 (I think that's usually around £5) which is a good offer, and the Boots meal deal is reasonably priced too. I've found i far too much on food, especially lunch.

I live near an iceland, but i don't have a microwave (the private accommodation didn't come with one and noone cba to buy one) so haven't been there much, i need to go there actually.

Lol at you can't make porridge! I get the one where you just add milk and put in the microwave (I haven't had it in a while though).

You can get away with £2 for lunch in London, with a soft drink added! However, in Lancaster (where I'll probably be going for uni) I doubt you can.

A student without a microwave? :eek: how do you survive?! :colondollar:
I think I would get tired of that after a few days :frown: I'd rather buy bags of frozen veg, pieces of meat on offer etc and make them slightly different meals - I don't normally have a weekly shop as I buy stuff when I run out of it..
Reply 92
I love how that under the heading "Cereal" you thought it necessary to list "cereal" and "milk" :L
Reply 93
I think everyone is forgetting that at uni you're gonna have limited freezer space per person? Canned food and eggs ftw. I am gonna find it odd buying eggs when I move out, I love getting at least one a day from our pet chickens most of the year.
£20 a week doesn't sound that cheap... I usually spend around £25 for 10 days, but I don't plan as much as that. I decide the main meals I'm going to eat that week and make double every other night so I can just stick it in the microwave the next night. Seems to work well for me, and I love not having to cook every day.

Lol at you can't make porridge! I get the one where you just add milk and put in the microwave (I haven't had it in a while though).

You can get away with £2 for lunch in London, with a soft drink added! However, in Lancaster (where I'll probably be going for uni) I doubt you can.

A student without a microwave? :eek: how do you survive?! :colondollar:

Oh i was looking at the chocolate one of those when tesco had 2 for 3 on all cereals (i've been eating soo much recently :coma:) but it sucks that i don't have a microwave :sad:

In London there are a few gems, although it's usually a bit more expensive. I hate Portsmouth atm because things like chinese takeaways are much more pricey, and all the franchised stores work really differently to other parts of the country (different offers, no student discount in subway, most pizza hut vouchers don't work, etc).

I do miss having a microwave :sad: It would make life (ready meals :p:) much easier!
Reply 96
I spend £17 a week on food, pasta, pesto, pita bread, cheese, mushrooms, spinach, tomatoes and alcohol. Nom.
Reply 97
I may have to steal your awesome plan.
Reply 98
I'm not a massive fan of fruit and veg, in general I tend to have very bland diet. However, I can't get enough of orange juice and milk. I'd easily drink pints of the stuff daily, and I think that's where it's gonna hit my pocket hard at uni.

That and several Golden Delicious apples :biggrin:
Reply 99
Original post by aprilterri
Yeah but I'm guessing that you have an income from two people. Some of us can't even afford the extra tenner. On a personal note I am a pretty good cook and aren't really bothered by what cut of meat that I have. No point having an good cut and no flavour. You don't really sacrifice much by shopping on a budget. Its more about making food/buying ingredients that will last and therefore save you money.

It definitely does get cheaper the more people you cook for, but a £30 food budget wasn't out of reach for me when I was in first and second year and I spent hundreds of pounds per week on weed and alcohol, purely from working in holidays and bashing my overdraft. I don't think you can compare a braising steak to a fillet steak though! Plus it's nice to have duck once in a while. I would recommend everyone gets down to Argos and buys a rice cooker though, £10 and you can have perfect rice that keeps warm for ages.

Quick Reply

Latest