The Student Room Group

Will this money last me till September ?

I have £500 in my current account will it last till September. I don’t work or pay bills. The only thing my money would go on is food, transport if I go out with my friends or something or clothes.

September is when I get my student finance.
Hi!

It all depends on the lifestyle you lead. With rational planning and effective budgeting, you should do well. We have some fantastic ideas that you can read about here :biggrin:

Nevertheless, I would limit frequent clothing shopping and going out with friends, as they consume large sums of money.

Maybe it is worth thinking about a part-time job? Not only would you earn money, but you could also gain valuable experience :wink:

I hope that was helpful! If you happen to have any questions, I will be more than happy to answer them here or on The Ambassador Platform, where you can chat with me.

Take care,

Julia
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by De Montfort University
Hi!

It all depends on the lifestyle you lead. With rational planning and effective budgeting, you should do well. We have some fantastic ideas that you can read about here :biggrin:

Nevertheless, I would limit frequent clothing shopping and going out with friends, as they consume large sums of money.

Maybe it is worth thinking about a part-time job? Not only would you earn money, but you could also gain valuable experience :wink:

I hope that was helpful! If you happen to have any questions, I will be more than happy to answer them here or on The Ambassador Platform, where you can chat with me.

Take care,

Julia

Hi, I’m trying to limit defo not buying clothes. And also going out with friends limiting how much I spend with them like I try to eat indoors so I only spend money on drinks.

how can this be enough until September pls.
I dont think it is I’m easily type to spend £500 in a week
Original post by ndkndk
Hi, I’m trying to limit defo not buying clothes. And also going out with friends limiting how much I spend with them like I try to eat indoors so I only spend money on drinks.

Find a part-time job - lots of students do to get through the summer holidays.
Original post by ndkndk

Hello,

I completely understand your concern :h: During the week I can spend £500, but at the same time, I can spend only £30. It all depends on my budgeting. Here is what I would do to make sure you will be fine with £500 until September. You have 10 weeks left, which gives you around £50 per week.

Do your groceries in Lidl (it is the cheapest), download the Lidl app for coupons and make meals for yourself. Every week prepare a meal plan and a shopping list so that you buy only things that you need. With a reasonable meal plan, you will spend less than £30 per week on food.

In order to save on transport try to walk as much as you can or use public bikes. If you need to overcome a long distance, take public transport. Cut off uber journeys for those 10 weeks. In this way, you should not spend more than £5-10 per week on commuting.

You will have left around £15 per week and you can spend it on whatever you need or want. It should also cover nights out with friends. Instead of drinking outside, I would also suggest doing that indoors.

I know it might be a little bit overwhelming but as you can see it is not impossible. I believe you can do it :wink:. If you want more freedom, consider looking for a part-time job. During the summer period, there are multiple roles available, so it will be very easy to get one. Additionally, a part-time job does not mean that you will not have time. It is only around 20 hours per week and as a result, you get a great amount of money.

I hope that makes sense! If you need anything, I am here to help :colondollar:

Fingers crossed for you,

Julia
£500 should be enough if it’s just on leisure activities such as clothes and seeing friends. You can get cheap clothes easily from primark and you don’t have to see your mates all the time. So long as you don’t have bills and rent to pay you should be fine. You got £250 for the next two months which is like £62 each week and unless your going far on trains or buying expensive designer clothing you’ll get through just fine . Bills on the other hand and rent not so much ….

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending