The Student Room Group
Design Students, University of Cumbria
University of Cumbria
Carlisle

Is the University of Cumbria THAT bad?

I have recently been offered a place on the BA Hons Drama course at Cumbria University (Lancaster Campus) and am in a bit of a pickle.

When I went for the interview the place seemed great, full of really nice people and staff.

However I have been reading reviews about the place, and the majority are extremely negative. (www.universityfinder.co.uk). They basically say the unversity is terrible, waste of time, waste of money the student life is dull and just basically warning me away from the place.

So to students who go there... is it really THAT bad?

Thanks for any help,
Dan :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DAN..
I have recently been offered a place on the BA Hons Drama course at Cumbria University (Lancaster Campus) and am in a bit of a pickle.

When I went for the interview the place seemed great, full of really nice people and staff.

However I have been reading reviews about the place, and the majority are extremely negative. (www.universityfinder.co.uk). They basically say the unversity is terrible, waste of time, waste of money the student life is dull and just basically warning me away from the place.

Thanks for any help,

The principal problem with Cumbria from which all others stem is that it is in a financial mess.
Design Students, University of Cumbria
University of Cumbria
Carlisle
Reply 2
Original post by DAN..

Thanks for any help,

Hi
I'm currently at the Uni of Cumbria, doing English at the lancaster campus. The main thing ouhave remember about the university is it is a very new uni, set up in 2007. I'm not gonna lie to you, it is small but that is the main reason I love it here. People know your name, you are not a nameless face in a huge class. The student life down here is amazing!!!!!!! Lancaster is a student town, and the town really caters for it. It is also near the top of the list of safest student towns in the whole country. Lancaster is also incredible for culture. We have TWO theatres, a cinema, and a Literature festival. And thatsnot including all the open mic nights, poetry nights, and buckets loads of stuff going on in local pubs, cafes etc!
In relation to your course, I looked into doing drama down here, but English is always my baby! The course looked really interesting, and there was a lot going on. The drama course put on regular performances, but there is also a drama society which also put on performances. I believe that they get to perform at one of lancaster's theatre the Dukes. From what I've seen up at uni (being in the arts and humanties department myself) the drama course seem really friendly and close knit (staff and pupils)
I think the Uni gets a bad name because of the finances surruding it. But you do have to remember we are a new uni in a recession, and considering that we do incredibly well! This Uni can give you a real sense of belonging to a uni, not just being a faceless student.
Check out the website, and if you're not sure, email/ring the uni and i'm sure they will give you any other info you need
Reply 3
Original post by DAN..

Thanks for any help,

Hi
I'm currently at the Uni of Cumbria, doing English at the lancaster campus. The main thing ouhave remember about the university is it is a very new uni, set up in 2007. I'm not gonna lie to you, it is small but that is the main reason I love it here. People know your name, you are not a nameless face in a huge class. People know you well, and you know them.
The student life down here is amazing!!!!!!! Lancaster is a student town, and the town really caters for it. It is also near the top of the list of safest student towns in the whole country. Lancaster is also incredible for culture. We have TWO theatres, a cinema, and a Literature festival. And thatsnot including all the open mic nights, poetry nights, and buckets loads of stuff going on in local pubs, cafes etc!
In relation to your course, I looked into doing drama down here, but English is always my baby! The course looked really interesting, and there was a lot going on. The drama course put on regular performances, but there is also a drama society which also put on performances. I believe that they get to perform at one of lancaster's theatre the Dukes. From what I've seen up at uni (being in the arts and humanties department myself) the drama course seem really friendly and close knit (staff and pupils)
I think the Uni gets a bad name because of the finances surruding it. But youd have to remain we are a new uni in a recession, and considering that we do incredibly well! This Uni can give you a real sense of belonging to a uni, not just being a faceless student.
Check out the website, and if you're not sure, email/ring the uni and i'm sure they will give you any other info you need
Hope this helps you
Reply 4
Hi
I'm currently at the University of Cumbria, doing photography at the Brampton road campus (Carlisle). All I can say is I love it. I know how hard can be to maka a desigion like this, but University of Cumbria makes everything possible to help you. Just thing about that....what would you expect from your university??? Good education, friendly people, profesionalism, fun, good night life.....that is what people mostly expect.....and as a current student, let me say....I have all of this things. Of course it is new university and of course there is good and bad things, but the point is.....here you can feel important....It is my personal opinion but I like it and I'm proud beeng part of the University of Cumbria family.
Reply 5
Hello!
I'm a first year doing teaching with SEN at uni of Cumbria at Lancaster. I almost went down to London to do a different course but choose here as I just loved the campus and the course. From experience the staff are really friendly and you get to know them so if there are problems you can get the sorted out quickly ( one of the advantages of a small university).

Though the university may be a bit slow for sum things or seem a bit harsh they get what they say they will done and they do it well ( most of the time).

I am currently in halls so if you have any more questions just ask and I will do my best to answer them

Hannah
Reply 6
Original post by hana.watson
Hello!
I'm a first year doing teaching with SEN at uni of Cumbria at Lancaster. I almost went down to London to do a different course but choose here as I just loved the campus and the course. From experience the staff are really friendly and you get to know them so if there are problems you can get the sorted out quickly ( one of the advantages of a small university).

Though the university may be a bit slow for sum things or seem a bit harsh they get what they say they will done and they do it well ( most of the time).

I am currently in halls so if you have any more questions just ask and I will do my best to answer them

Hannah

Do a lot of students commute rather than live in?
I'm gonna be commuting there in September but still want to meet new people obviously, even though I'm not going to be in halls :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by nataliexo
Do a lot of students commute rather than live in?
I'm gonna be commuting there in September but still want to meet new people obviously, even though I'm not going to be in halls :smile:

well.......
There are people who commute in and yes they do make friends but how far away is home? One of my flat mates lives in Kendal, goes home on a weekend but lives in during the week. She is living at home the following year but she wanted to get the full experience.

Living in halls is good during things like freashers but at the end of the day it is your choose!

Any more questions just ask!
Hana:smile:
Reply 8
well.......
There are people who commute in and yes they do make friends but how far away is home? One of my flat mates lives in Kendal, goes home on a weekend but lives in during the week. She is living at home the following year but she wanted to get the full experience.

Living in halls is good during things like freashers but at the end of the day it is your choose!

I live in Blackburn, so about an hour up the motorway to Lancaster!
Reply 9
thanks for your help , but i'm not going there now anyway x
Hello!
I too received an offer from Cumbria (to do English & Creative Writing) and I've also seen loads of people giving the uni seriously grim reviews - mainly to do with quality of teaching, etc. I really am considering Cumbria so if someone wouldn't mind, I'd appreciate a brief lowdown on what it's like (teaching and student support-wise). Also, do the uni's financial problems have a big impact on student life?
Reply 11
Hi serious crab.., I'm a third year English student,
and from my own experience here at the UoC, it has been amazing.
You receive excellent student support. I've absolutely loved my time here.

As for the finance side, it has all been sorted out now- granted there were issues, but this year the uni reorganised itself and has become so much more efficient.

I'll post a link for you about how well English is doing in relation to other English courses,

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/table/2011/may/17/university-guide-english

currently 17th in the country, and best in the North West of England. That just reflects how brilliant the course it, baring in mind how 'small' it is. And by that I mean you are part of a community, and not lost in a sea of faces.

You could also read my testimony on the uni website to see if that gives you a better idea.

http://www.cumbria.ac.uk/AboutUs/FacultyABS/SubjectAreas/Arts/Humanities/English/OurStudents.aspx
Reply 12
Hi,
I've made Cumbria my first choice and I hope to study Drama & Musical Theatre at Brampton Road, Carlisle from September onwards. From what I've seen at the open days and the audition I went on it's a lovely place and the satff seem friendly and it has brilliant facilities. I can't seem to find a group for UoC on this site though, if anyone can point me in the right direction or if anyone else is heading to Carlisle in September give me a shout.
Thanks
James
Miss Dobbie

Cheers for the reassurance! I had a chance to look around the Lancaster campus a couple of weeks ago and it all looked absolutely fine. I had a chat with one of the lecturers about the course too, and he also reassured me about support and stuff. All in all, Cumbria seems like the one for me and I've gladly accepted the offer. Cheers also for the links! Much appreciated
Reply 14
Hi Hannah,

I see you are studying primary ed with SEN, i will be starting in September and i am currently a application for accomodation in Halls, which one do you recommend?? thanks
well.......

what are the halls like? in terms of size...because i feel like i dont have any options for choice of where i live coz i dont want catered accomodation as i'd much rather cook for myself...so im gonna have to live in mill hall.... how's that particular accomodation? and are the rooms en suite because i dont think i could share a bathroom with other people :s
Original post by Cheesecake_92
what are the halls like? in terms of size...because i feel like i dont have any options for choice of where i live coz i dont want catered accomodation as i'd much rather cook for myself...so im gonna have to live in mill hall.... how's that particular accomodation? and are the rooms en suite because i dont think i could share a bathroom with other people :s

None of the uni accommodation has ensuite.

There is private accommodation called CityBlock which all have an ensuite and each flat has a lounge area with a TV and the rent is about £10 a week more than the uni accommodation.
im doing hotography at carlisle and going old brewery halls accomadation
]im doing photography at carlisle and going old brewery halls accomadation
Reply 19
I am currently there I would run for the hills.

The lancaster campus is fantastic and has great facilities and is a student town.

Carlisle however is absolutely diabolical, the student life is dull, same old, same old all over again, the city isn't kitted out for students and expect peace and quiet.

My course has so far been a massive farce and I have pretty much wasted the last two years, only stuck it out so I actually have a degree, one tutor gave me a bad reference on my ucas after saying I wanted to leave, which left me with a rejection from another potential location to what I want to go on to.

So my advice is yes, it really is that bad.

Quick Reply

Latest